Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GOOCHY posted:

A guy on one of the A/V boards I read is selling a Sanyo PLV-Z60. I should note that I have no association with this guy and have no idea of the quality of this particular projector. The model itself is great from the reviews I've read.

Just a friendly pass along of a used deal I saw.

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1774

does anyone think this is worth it? How well does a $600 NEW projector hold up against this?? like an optoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Devian666 posted:

The projectors are two different categories so apples to pears.

The Sanyo native resolution is 1280 x 720 and is LCD. Contrast ratio 10000:1

The Optoma native resolution is 1920x1080 and is DLP. Contrast ratio 4000:1

If you don't have issues with the rainbow effect from DLP and can handle the refresh rate then the choice is simple go with the Optoma.

E: there is a difference in contrast ratio that you would notice in a very dark room.

i meant a $600 optoma not an HD20. I dont really have an interest in 1080p right now. One thing im having an issue with is whats the cheapest screen out there? I know theres cheap DIY solutions that require making your own frame and stuff but is there anything easier than that? Im only going to be in a location for a year or so and dont want to spend a bunch of hours building a DIY screen for me not to be able to take it with me after a year.

edit: read the thread a bit, looks like black out cloth is the way to go. Im thinking around a 92" screen (which is about 6 and a half feet tall so i can fit it through doorways easily). the throw distance will be about 14-15 feet.

im also looking at the epson home cinema 720 which i can get for $800 from tigerdirect after cashback. combine that with the rebate for a free bulb (which is like $300) im looking at a 720p projector for $500. Is there any big flaws with the epson compared to the sanyo? this is going to be probably used mainly for xbox 360... right now the $800 price with free bulb is looking mighty tempting.

edit 2: http://www.visualapex.com/accessories/accessory_details.asp?chpartnumber=V13H010L39&Type=LCD_Lamps

is this the cheapest place to get lamps? $350? my god. i guess when both lamps die in like 6 years i just wont buy another one and instead will get a 1080p projector for like $500.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 14, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GOOCHY posted:

I think you'd be really happy with the Epson HC720 - it's a really nice projector with a nice, sharp image. Real bang for the buck right there, for sure.

It was between the Panasonic AX200U and the Epson HC720 when I was making my purchasing decision and I ended up going with the AX200U due to seating distance limitations. I needed that "smoothscreen" just a little bit more than the average user probably would because the front row was pretty close. If my seating was a little bit further back I would have gone the HC720 route.

The image quality on the AX200U is quite impressive, though. Even last night, watching the Bears vs. Vikings game I remarked a couple times to my wife that it just looked spectacular.

the main draw of the epson is its the cheapest "good" 720p that appears to be out there. I wish instead of having a bulb rebate they just gave it to me for cheaper, considering i really couldnt see myself buying a $300 bulb for a 720p projector in 2 years or whatever when the drat projector wont even be worth $300 by itself.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Hotpants posted:

The Epson Home Cinema 720 is one of my favorite 720p projectors. I still have one around here somewhere.

Also, consider this: the lamp is supposed to last 3,000 hours, and costs $350 to replace. Even if we assume that the lamp flames out after 2,000 hours, that's one movie per night, every night of the year, without exception, for two years and nine months. Starting today, you can grumble about lamp replacements some time in 2012.

People tend to see the price attached to lamp replacement and freak out when they probably shouldn't. Throw a quarter in a jar every time you watch a movie and you'll have enough for a new lamp by the time the current one blows out. You'll also get to see what $350 in quarters looks like.

My point was lest say both lamps last 2000 hours. combined they will last me about 5 years, i cant imagine buying another $350 lamp for a 720p projector when 1080p projectors will probably be $500 then.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The March Hare posted:

Alright, I've got around a 1,000 dolla budget and I'm in the very fortunate position of working at a place that sells projectors.

I can currently get a brand new:

Optoma HD65 - $630
Sony VPL-BW5 - $630
Optoma HD20 - $866
Optoma HD71 - $950

There was also some 1080p projector that was normally $2,000 down to $1,500 that I can get for $1,100 - I think it was an Epson but I didn't write the model number down since I'm not sure I want to spend that much. It was also much larger than the 720p ones.

Here is my situation. I live right next to Fenway Park (redsox) and I have an awful lot of ambient light outside due to that from the stadium lights. I have really heavy curtains, blinds, and a second pair of much lighter curtains. With these I can get the room pretty dark, but not really pitch black. The distance from wall to wall is 11'3" and the wall is about that wide, totally blank. Would any of the ones I listed above be more well suited to this? I know the H65 gets namedropped a lot around here, and if I can get it for $630 and be happy with it that would be wonderful. But if that Sony is better, and I can get it for the same price, I might as well.

Given the size of the room and everything else, do you think it might be worth it to pony up a couple hundred over my ideal budget of under $1000 and get a 1080p? I'll be using it drat near exclusively for movies and, while I'm not really a cinema buff or anything, I do watch probably a film or two a week. Will the heat generated by the larger unit be a problem? It's probably also worth noting that I absolutely can not under any circumstances mount this thing from my ceiling. At best I can get a very tall table or something.

one thing to keep in mind is epson cinema 720 has a rebate for a free bulb, which if you plan on keeping the projector for a while is basically a free $300.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 29, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is the epson 400 comparable to the epson cinema 720? whats the big differences?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

craig588 posted:

Edit:
And holy poo poo Amazon has the HC3800 on sale right now for 1,200$ and it comes with a rebate for a free extra lamp. Someone warn me why I shouldn't buy this tonight.

They do??
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3800-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B002PIPPUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266270906&sr=8-1

electronics expo has it for $1257 after shipping.

i would just buy it from circuit city with 15% off... it makes the thing only 1150 bucks

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1866629

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 15, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I got an open box hd65 for $330 before tax from BB today. Tonight ill set it up and see if its screwed up somehow.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Dolemite posted:

Well drat! The sales guy didn't tell me that! That's cheaper than buying a replacement lamp online.

Speaking of, can anyone tell me how projector lamp prices tend to fluctuate? Before I bought the Optoma, I had a 10 year old (literally) projector from Compaq that I was using. Since it's long been out of production, I noticed lamps were running $500-600 dollars!

Well, right now it looks like I can get Optoma lamps for my new projector for ~$250 bucks. How many long on average do prices on a projector's lamps tend to stay reasonable before climbing to ridiculous prices like my old Compaq's?

http://www.provantage.com/optoma-bl-fs180c~7OPTO0CP.htm

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Dolemite posted:

Nice find - thanks for the link! Have you ordered from this company before?

Not that i remember, but its reputable. resellerratings good and such

Im looking to upgrade from my HD65... anyone got opinions on the viewsonic pro 8100 for $1100 at tigerdirect after cashback?? Seems like the best value.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Hotpants posted:

In my opinion the Viewsonic 8100 looked like crap when it was released and is only going to look worse now that it's outdated. Spend the extra few hundred and pick up an Epson Home Cinema 8100, which sells normally for $1499.

Its $1400 on amazon, so $300 difference.

what exactly looked bad about the viewsonic 8100, a lot of people favorably review it. The lovely dynamic iris has apparently been fixed by firmware... i cant really find unfavorable reviews about anything besides the iris.

Also do higher end dlps like the hc3800 have color wheel problems? i really cant stand the RBE. However it seems to have really good contrast.

looks like the hc3800 has 4x just like the hd65... lame. I would probably still see it. I really cant stand it and neither can any of my friends (5 of them have watched it, all 5 of them noticed it and think its irritating). It blows my mind that some people claim to not see it.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 2, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Epson 8100 is $1150 at electronics expo with code "EMPLOYEE"

use bing.com to get 6.5 off.. bring it down to like $1070.. yes thats right $1070 for 1080p lcd, HQV reon, tilt shift, dynamic iris, fuckin everything projector. Fuccccccck 3d.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
https://clevelandplasma.com/store/projectors/epson/epson_hc_8350

or buy it for cheaper from an actual authorized dealer.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Hotpants posted:

I know, right? This is why I tell people to stop looking at projectors until they're ready to buy a new one, because most of the time this year's model will make whatever you own look like dogshit.

Hmm, not really

Ive seen epson 8350 vs epson 8100 (i own 8100, cousin owns the 8350), we cant tell a difference.

If you get a great discount on an 8100 you arent going to wish you went with the 8350.

Similarly im looking at JVC D-ILA projectors and the only big improvements over the past 2 years in the same price category have been projectors adding 3d and slight picture improvements. If you get a quasi-4K jvc its still going to look good.. if you pay the same price for a used jvc 4k as a new one then obviously its not a good deal, no ones going to look at their picture and pine for the latest and greatest however.

Youre right though if you take into account that a lot of people ask a lot for old projectors, then whats worse is people actually spend that much on old projectors. People spending $800 on an epson 8100 bewilder me, it was going for $1000 new in its last months, and you are going to have to buy a new bulb anyways, so you could have just bought an epson 8350.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 17, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
King Hotpants im looking to upgrade my 8100

Right now i have a white elite screens, im going to use wilsonart fashion grey screen for the new setup.

What i want out of a new projector is:
1) better black levels
2) less motion blur

The 8100 is bright as gently caress, so i dont see lumens being a problem (i run it on eco lamp mode)

14 feet away on a 103" screen or so.

I absolutely hate DLP rainbow effects, i cant stand them and neither can my friends, but i dont want lcd induced motion blur either.

Only options seem to be JVC? High end mitsubishi?

I need lens shift of course. 3d isnt important, if it has it, great, if it doesnt, dont mind.
I want to spend around $3000

gently caress the mitsu hc9000d is $2940 at projectors people drat that is nuts.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 13, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

King Hotpants posted:

I don't have numbers on the Optoma stuff but the Epson 8350 is fast as gently caress with input lag. It's been tested at like 15ms, which is as good as it gets (the Epson 3010 is up around 105ms, for comparison).

If you did not need lens shift I would push the Optoma HD33 on you. You hate rainbow effects but it has a 6x speed wheel so you won't see any drat rainbows.

Other than that, the Epson 5010 has way, way better blacks than the 8100 did. It's also less than $3000. It also uses newer panels than the 8100 so the motion blur should be down. Processing for 3D means that input lag is like 90ms, which sucks if you want to play games and care about that sort of thing.

If you do care about games look at the Panasonic AE7000, which is more or less on a level with the Epson 5010 but has less input lag. Black level isn't as good, but the difference is hair-splittingly small.

I will want to play my 360 on it, but its mostly for movies

Id have to see a 6x speed, i had a 4x speed hd65. I saw RBE several times every minute depending on the amount of highlights in a scene. Even if it got cut down to once a minute i still wouldnt want a DLP unfortunately, that sort of stuff drives me up the wall.

Are you saying the epson 5010 has input lag on 2d as well? My epson 8100 is perfectly fine for call of duty.

No opinion on HC9000D or any JVC models? JVC looks like a bad time to buy because new models are coming out soon. id love to get a jvc with nice black levels for like $1.5k even if it only had 2d.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
PT-AE7000 is $2050 at projector people...

AE8000 is $2900 everywhere. Got an 8100, should i take the leap??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

hold off until led projectors with passive 3d glasses are a reasonable price.

Dont care about 3d at all really. Also LED projectors are a long long way off considering the first 1080p one is just now launching.

• Locked thread