Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
I hope this is the right thread for this. Apologies if it's not.

I'm seeing really low bulb life in my projector (InFocus ScreenPlay 4805, an older unit; the bulb in it now died at 230hrs, not a typo). I had an earlier one die on me at 450ish hours. loving 90-day warranty my rear end. I don't think a single bulb has made it to 1500 hours in that thing.

If I were to get a higher class Mitsubishi like the HD4900, what can I expect to see for lamp life? I really, really don't want to buy a 2000 dollar projector and have to replace the a bulb before a thousand hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Scrapez posted:

I agree. I have an Infocus X1 (4800) which I believe uses the same bulb as the 4805 and at last check it had approx. 1500 hours on it and was still going strong.

One thing that can really reduce bulb life is if you don't clean the filter and it gets too hot. Not sure if that could be your problem.

At 230 hours, though? The screens were really clean.

I've had this unit in for service before because the color wheel was grinding. I think this is going to be its last bulb. If it dies it dies. I'll get something better when it does. Thanks.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
So I've got discounts via work on projectors and the HC1600 is cheaper than the HC1500 even though it appears identical except for lamp output. Also, according to the ERP system, the HC1500 is being discontinued.

Is there any reason to go with the HC1500 over the HC1600 that would explain why the price is higher?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Scrapez posted:

I believe the HC1600 has a 5 segment color wheel instead of the 7 segment color wheel that the HC1500 has. Other than that, I'm not sure of the differences. I do know that the HC1500 is preferred.

On avsforum people were saying it actually did have 7 segment and the docs were wrong. Of course, this is the internet... What I don't get is that the HC1500 is being discontinued, but what replaces it?

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Scrapez posted:

I would be weary of rainbows on the HC1600 with the 2x color wheel.

Well, that would explain the price difference. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
I'm looking for an ultra short throw projector and I have no idea who has the best device right now. Can I get a recommendation, please?

• Locked thread