Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I'm a bass player doing a small outdoor festival (acoustic stage of course) tomorrow, and I'm thinking of printing out a flyer or something with the band's twitter, facebook, and email on it, and passing it out after the show. Is that a good idea? Should I do cards instead (seems expensive)? Should I just yell our twitter handle at people? Never did it before so in unfamiliar terrain, I don't even know what a good site to do that stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I don't see how flyers could hurt. 1 day also seems like a small turnaround time to get cards made and printed.

I don't think anyone will remember a Twitter handle that's been yelled at them during a gig.

Ended up doing the flyer thing (was just joking about the yelling thing), passed some out. Now I just need to post on Twitter and Instagram a bunch I guess. Do people here promote on Myspace anymore? Bandcamp? Where else?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I spend a lot of my week promoting gigs, and I find a good way to do it is join relevant groups on Facebook, so join a local music group, local events group, local offers group, local items for sale groups, things like that.
Also let posters do your work for you as well as fliers, poster the venue if possible.
Then I use Twitter to send @whoever will retweet my stuff, I keep a list of people who I KNOW will retweet and I always hit them first - these contacts can take a while to build up but are worth it.

This is way, way late, but thanks for the great effortpost. It was really useful!

Got another question though. Anyone here shifted from bass to keyboards? It seems a lot of people I know, know how to play both. Is it a easy transition if you're already somewhat versed in bass? What would I be in for if I want to at least be competent in playing keyboard? I'm starting from a knowledge of absolute bupkis.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jeremy_X posted:

Glad they got you moving in the right direction and that I could help. Remember to stretch! That goes for everyone, protect those wrists people.

What are some good stretches for the wrist, specifically for bass playing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I tried to use my bass one spot av adapter for a new 12 volt (according to the back) synth keyboard, and nothing happened. Is it because they are different voltage? I don't know anything about electronics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gorgar posted:

What in the hell is a "bass one spot"? The one spot is 9 volts. Unless there's a bass version that is 12 volts, this won't work.*

* Unless, of course, they're 9 bass volts. Being lower-pitched, they have more torque.

Get a 12 volt adapter (with the correct polarity) and you should be fine.

That makes total sense, thanks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Turns out I need to get the "intonation" (that's what my bass teacher called it) fixed on my bass, because the notes are just slightly off when I play higher up the neck. If that made any sense, how much did you pay for it if anyone in this thread did the same thing? I think I have one guy citing around $75.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

it's somewhere along those lines here, too. full setup, that is. just the intonation is a relatively adjustment for a professional and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

i recommend you learn that stuff yourself at some point, not yet but like after you've played for a year or two. it's not hard and will save you money in the long run.

I've been playing for almost two years now, but apparently I might be recording with someone and need my bass to sound good STAT.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I couldn't stay in time with the first guitarist I played with. I figured it was me because I was new to the bass. I practiced with a metronome, and that was pretty boring, so I practiced to drum beats I found on youtube and that was way more fun. Then I practiced along with the songs we were trying to play and that was the best. So I'd warm up with a metronome playing scales and poo poo, practice the songs I was trying to learn, and then mess around over a drum beat (and eventually started making my own beats to mess around to). Anyway, over a couple of months I got pretty good at keeping time. He didn't. It's not that he speeds up and slows down, it's that he takes these micro pauses when he needs to think about what the next part is. Usually only an 8th or 16th, but then he doesn't come in on the current note, but on the note he would have been playing if he hadn't paused. We still hang out, but it's impossible to play music together because he can't/won't understand what he's doing wrong, and although I've tried I can't adapt to random tiny pauses in the music.

If you're trying to practice along to a song and it's just too fast you can slow down an mp3 in Riffstation and the pitch stays the same. It sounds a bit poo poo, but it's still useful. Get the desktop app, I'm pretty sure the website version doesn't do it.

Bought an Ipad for music apps, and only just started really using it to create beats on DM1 (it's so easy). So much fun.

Also I just did some time in a recording studio recently, that'll tighten you right quick. A glowering producer and it being a hourly tends to do that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey y'all. Been really getting into funk and disco lately, which is not only awesome to me but it also it really feels like its a great way to raise my bass game. Gonna jam with a couple of folks in a couple of weeks, we're gonna try to cover Chic's I Want Your Love, Cameo's Candy, and Cheryl Lynn's Gotta Be Real. Practicing my slap bass and watching vids like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95oiQ36aHD4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRFxG-gI1k

Gotta learn what in the hell is chucking btw.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations regarding technique or gear? Just playing on a thunderbird epiphone right now, got a Fuzz Big Muff but don't think it's gonna be much help in this genre.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been really leaning into all things Bernard Edwards lately (my next project is learning Everybody Dance, the proper way). He used a MusicMaster bass, short scaled (had to look that term up).

If I got that term for shorter basses right, what do you guys think about those kinds of basses? Better than getting a Precision or Jazz? I don't plan on buying another guitar for at least a year or two, but is fun to think about this early.

edit; I read that the Musicmaster helped him with muting too, so that's a bonus. Not exactly sure how tho.

e:

Dyna Soar posted:

P-bass for life, although lately i've been playing a short scale at home and it's just so much easier to shred. I recently joined a noise rock band and I definitely wanna make the bass busy under the riffs. Making the bass lines on a short scale has been a time saver.

Basically just curious about what differences you found with the short scale.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrChu posted:

Are you sure Bernard Edwards used a Musicmaster for that? That's the first I've heard that, and he's usually associated with a Music Man Stingray bass, which is full scale and had adjustable mutes on it.

Oh yeah, I'm mistaken you're right.

Rifter17 posted:

Yeah, it seems like it's more likely Music Man from just checking out some YouTube videos. Those basses are kinda known for that Music Man humbucker tone. The vintage (and vintage spec) ones have adjustable mutes built in.

That said, it's a full length scale (34") like most basses and you can easily add a temporary mute. I just grabbed a sponge and cut it into a 1/2" strip and tucked it under the strings near the saddles.

If you're really looking for a new bass, then maybe check out the vintage spec Music Man basses with built-in mutes, regular Music Man basses, and (if you're more adventurous and want to deviate a little) G&L basses. There are actually a lot of basses that are pretty similar to the classic Music Man Sting Ray bass.

That's really interesting. I've been muting with my palm to try to get that sound but built in mutes would be more accurate.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thorpe posted:

I've known about the sticks for years but they do nothing for me. I like playing bass, even though the 7 and 10 string stuff is sort of trending towards not a bass anymore. Thanks for the compliment! I do have very bad pedal gas. I went on an awful binge for awhile but everything I have on the board I like a lot now.

What pedal are you using to get that sort of echo-y effort that due to my relative lack of experience have to compare to the Edge's guitar sound? Reminds me a lot of the Explosion in the Sky, which is also a terrible way to describe it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So continuing my funk odyssey (my cover band has their first gig next Sat!), what's a good pedal in re to funk/disco? I mean I'm supposing songs like Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground or what I'm supposing is the bassline here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTN4sQRlPj0

I've already got a Big Muff Fuzz pedal if that counts for anything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

^^^I'll keep an eye out for that pedal.

The Science Goy posted:

Envelope filters can bring some serious funk with more staccato lines, I break that out a few times per show with my funk fusion band. POG/fuzz is killer too, but I'm hitting both effects in one with my next pedal build (Brassmaster fuzz clone).

Just remember that the real funk is in the fingers.

Edit: envelope filter example at 0:38 at this video. I was also running some light distortion with a VMT Deluxe, but the majority of the color was from the envelope filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZc3Txra-Z4

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Nice man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i disagree, classic fender and gibson models are mostly nice.

Yeah my thunderbird is a beaut, I find the poster's opinion to be bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just played a Music Man Sub Bass for the first time, fell in love. Only 300 bux in guitar center, even had the chance to play a 5 string proper Ernie Ball bass for 2K, and I liked the Sub better, wtf.

It had a lot to do with my lack of ability playing the 5 string giving it a rattley sound due to lack of muting maybe, but still surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

e: the only issue is that it didn't look pristine

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just played that Ampeg the other day (I think it was that ampeg). Incredibly powerful.

Also have played on a Rumble 500. Incredible tone, sounds kinda warm.

It depends do you want to blow people out of their seats (choose the Ampeg) or have a loud but really non-distorting tone (Rumble).

Bought that MM Sterling Sub bass instead of an Ernie Ball that cost 1400, thinking of what else I can do to improve it, other than buy strings I guess (slinkys? is that a good one for funk style bass?)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

Is it one of the old SUB basses with the painted neck? Other than that neck, those were a killer value against a $1500 stingray.

Slinky's I feel go dead too quickly. DR hi beams for me.

It's one of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man/SUB-Ray4-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

Not made in the US tho, Indonesia.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My biggest bass regrets mostly involve inadvisedly joining lovely bands. Its such a great feeling when you spends months on a project and you realize oh wait you're working with worthless assholes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really curious to find out what pedal this guy is using for this song (covering Boyz Noize, somehow): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwh8FEsWUk#t=7m53s

Earlier in the vid it looks like he's using a boss pedal, couldn't see which one though.

Man this is also making me want to get a five string, that oomph of that lower B string (I guess?) just has such presence, but I just bought a loving Music Man just recently.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I've got a new rehearsal space sharing it with a couple of other bands and bassists, was thinking of chipping in to get a rehearsal amp. What would you consider a pretty affordable option? The other bassists aren't exactly rolling in money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is craigslist or talkbass the places to look for uaed gear?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Old Peaveys, from the 70's to the 90's. Old late 70's Mark III's are loving awesome but have a pretty distict sound, works well in punk & metal but probably not if you wanna play at somewhat lower levels. A firebass / Peavey Max (same head, different name) is a very powerful head (475 watts @ 8 omhs, 700 watts @ 2 ohms) with a neutral tone and it eats pedals really well. Also indestructible, so good for a shared amp.

This looks too good to be true: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/d/peavey-basic-40-bass-amp/6472069539.html

something that cheap can't be that good right? I realize its only 40 watts but i'm gonna be using it in a small room anyway...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Well, that's not too hard to believe, really. It's an 80s Peavey, which means it's a fairly basic (hence the model name) solid state amp. There's nothing exciting about this amp--it was made to amplify the sounds from your bass guitar in a nice, clean way. Back then, bass amps pretty much never came with overdrive, distortion, or any other effects other than maybe a 2- or 3-band EQ. And there are no AUX inputs, no tuners, no footswitch jack (no need for one)... this was, and is, an extremely basic bass amp. In its day, it was probably one of the least expensive 40 watt bass amps you could buy.

Of course, back then, even the least expensive 40 watt amp costs more than you'd expect to pay today. It's made in the USA, but Peavey always managed to have USA-made stuff that didn't carry the huge premium you'd expect in USA-made products from, say, Fender or Gibson.

If you need something to amplify your bass signal and nothing else, you could probably do worse than get this amp. Try it out first, of course.

Of course. Thanks everyone who helped me out!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thorpe posted:

They have one of these at an open mic night I play occasionally, I was pretty pleased with how it sounded. Nice and clean, no fancy frills and plenty loud enough for a small room.

Been looking at craigslist and I'm prob not gonna buy it, there's a Fender Rumble 350 for 200bux that's really got my attn. Seems like a great price, even if it is used.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh yeah sure, but the pic makes it look like it's got some miles on it. Gonna try it out and hope for the best. I've p;ayed fender rumble 100 and it was good enough for a small bar, can't wait to see what this sounds like.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Idk if this is thread inappropriate but if anyone knows a free way to make music flyers for a gig where I can slap in a photo of the band with ready made templates lemme know. Mspaint I guess if I was less lazy.

Lovin my music man sub series right now. Been playing a steady diet of punk shows and it combines the perfect mix of awesome sound and who cares if it gets smashed that I crave.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

:downs:

I’m actually sitting down learning The Middle, Seven Nation Army, and Revolution Radio (surprisingly complex) because some local punk band needs a bassist and it sounds like fun to play some live music.

Just keep it simple, The Middle is like three chords play them open string, DAGD. It's punk, just have fun with it, no one's expecting precision unless you're like in Lightning Bolt or something.

e: That Fender 350 Bass Amp I bought that sounded off when I got it is now sounding clean as all hell. I guess we just needed to knock some dust off it? Have no idea how that happened but I'm pretty grateful, it sounds awesome. I haven't dared put the volume much past the halfway mark yet.

e2: I've used my Fender 100 watt in small bar venues even with a drummer. It's a fantastic piece of machinery. Man I love that brand.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Some handy tips to keep in mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkxu_7Tn48

that last one is really helpful to keep in mind - bass is a more physically demanding instrument than guitar I think, just because of the size of it and the effort involved in fretting and playing those big strings. So you need to make your life as easy as possible, and being smart about how you approach the fretboard is a good idea. Some of this transferred over to guitar for me too - I used to play octave shapes with my 1st and 3rd fingers, now a lot of the time I'll use 1st and 4th because why not?

I wish I knew about this before finding out what the hell "trigger finger" was.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It does feel like ppl are dogpiling the guy who posted the vid a bit, and I sure as he'll don't agree with the idea that bass isn't something meant to be intricate and complex. I've been working hard to incorporate both into my playing for years.

But the vid is a great example of an approach to bass playing that is not for me. I see myself as the connection in the band, laying down groove, tempo, the track for a band as a whole. Not only should I know how to play music compared to everyone else I'm playing with, I should know even MORE.

That guy is very akin to guitar noodling imo, impressive but it doesn't get my foot tapping or my head nodding, essential to the bass I like. Theres absolutely no feel or funk to it all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is rush prog? Cuz I can listen to that bass all day. Along with Yes, Asia, etc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

whats a good store in NYC to buy a p-bass? mexi-fender or a vintage squier would be ok, tokai hard puncher and other japanese brands as well. can't buy used or at a pawn shop, i'll be in a hurry. also nothing too expensive, my budget is like 500 bucks tops, preferably less.

Sam Ash? I managed to find some good basses in Rudy's Guitar Shop, I dunno.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

I'm wiped from our studio day yesterday (and a midnight-1:40 set the night before), but we got our full EP recorded. I was struggling to create a bassline that I was happy with for one of our songs, and was getting a bit anxious as to what I would be recording.... then during our Friday night gig I improvised the missing piece to the line. The only clip I've got is from an overdub run from the control room, but bass is plenty prevalent in there.

Instagram clip

A few shots from the studio:

So you guys keep your drums in the main room? Never recorded without the drums being separate before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been settling real well into my cover band playing, a fantastic way to get better on the sly without it making it seem like home work. Got a gig this sat tho and fooling around with my drummer jamming I managed to gently caress up my index finger (scraped a good part of it off) so it's still a bit sensitive, and now I'm playing only with my middle finger mostly. It's hilarious that I'm James Jamerson-ing by being a total fuckup. Just got way too into popping without taking any consideration of what finger was going thru, any tips to safeguarding your fingers slapping and popping?

Also had the chance to get my mitts on a very excellent 5 string P-bass recently at the store. That tone haunts my dreams. Love my sterling music man, but gently caress, maybe it's time to move to a 5 string. A/b tested with a 5 string Jazz, it just wasn't my cup of tea. That smooth tone of the P, especially at the lowest string, gave me shivers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scarf posted:

gently caress dude, if you're scraping off skin from slap/pop, you're digging in WAY too much.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Seriously dude get some flatwound strings if your style is resulting in that amount of finger damage.

Ok, I'll look into it. Only have a limited amount of experience with flatwounds, felt rubber-y and weirdly soft.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

Are you sure you were using flatwounds? That sounds a lot like tapewounds.

I think they were tapewounds. Gonna try flatwounds post haste.

e: they're good for popping and slapping?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

You have a Sting Ray, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_KrCDjbV4&t=40s

And you were looking at a Precision Bass, yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXlGgMNstg

Not the best demonstrations but you get the idea.

Thanks!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I got another question after showing my ignorance last post, but there's a chance i might get ahold of an upright bass. The person who's giving it to me says I can have it for free but he never repaired a busted end-pin, so the bridge and strings are unplayable.

How much of an expense do you think it would be to get this fixed? I've been leery of buying an upright bass due to the cost, but this seems like a much cheaper option...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

That would be best answered by a local luthier who can do the work, but a loose ballpark estimate would be $400-1000 USD for a new endpin/bridge/strings, depending on what replacements are used and whether there is additional damage from neglect. I would expect about $600 USD to be the median price.

Brought it home, the strings are hosed, the endpiece too, and the bridge. Otherwise it's a good looking instrument, worth posting some pics here? Or should I just start calling luthiers?

The gig bag for it is atrocious, only one handle. Real b hauling it up three flights of stairs. I'm hoping I can just use pics to get an estimate b/c the idea of hauling it every which way in NYC to get an estimate sounds hellish.

e: to the beginners, have you thought about getting actual lessons from a human being? Sitting across from a critical professional on a weekly basis has turned me into a turd player into a gigging one in a relatively short time.