Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
new bass player on the block, I've been self teaching myself for about three months so far and my biggest gripe is speed in general.

I've been working with 1234's but so far it's only doing so much, or maybe I'm not practicing them enough. would anyone have other means of increasing muscle memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'm very good at mentally timing things but I guess you do have a point, can you reccomend a freeware metronome program?

*edit*

also could anyone reccomend some training tabs/tablatures/grooves?

Munoma fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

3toes posted:

Are you talking about fretting-hand speed, or fingering-hand speed? If the latter, look for rudimentary snare-drum cadences (ones without super fast rolls) and just do them on one note.

The bass is a drum, keep repeating that to yourself.

Trust me.

well the 1234's like I mentioned earlier will build speed with fretting, I came across this video strangely enough and dispite how informative it is he didn't mention mixing the numbers I.E 4231 2314 4132 3214 which in my personal opinion is the reason why you do it more than moving in one direction only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc

I tried the cadences and I'm convinced they'll work like a charm, thank you for the advice.

also this guy agree's with your bass=drum theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EhUB1AS9M&fmt=18

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I perfer to smoke rather than drink but regardless thank you so very much.

3toes posted:

I meant more along the lines of theory and the relationship of the bass and the drums in a band.

I'm a lover of rythym, I would consider bass more of the glue that holds the melody and rythym together. to me the bass is the bridge of harmony.

although I find myself unnerved every single time some random retard on the internet proclaims les claypool to be the greatest ever, especially considering he's so unorthadox he might as well play guitar.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 3, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
all I meant was alot of people don't understand that les's style is very very different, I mean primus has thier own musical genre don't they?

but yeah, les has skill. he's just not my cup of tea when it comes to bass players I want to be inspired by.

although I would love to learn "is it luck", "jerry was a race car driver", and "welcome to this world".

sorry for the confusion

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
sorry for the double post but I wanted to know if anyone could help me out with something.

I've been listening to a song that I personally think has an awesome bassline, unfortunetly I can't find a tab to save my life and I think it may be a five string bass song *I only have a four string*

would anyone here happen to have a good enough ear to figure out the tab or should I ask elsewhere.

oh and this is the song

sorry for youtube but it's the best quality I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1_STN_GnrE&fmt=18

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
huh, you're the same guy who helped earlier except you have a different name now.

anyways thank you so very much, I don't understand sheet music but I have a little book that was given to me from a friend that teaches stuff like that.

also, what music do you like =D.

or should that be saved for a PM.

Kynetx posted:

This is a good idea. You need to develop your ear anyway.

I've been in choir for the majority of my life I have a very good ear thank you =P

Munoma fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 8, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'd argue my point but it would be a complete waste of my time, regardless thank you for the advice.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
hey everyone I'm thinking about buying this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...WELAID=66754907

but I saw this first
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rockman-Bass-Ace-Headphone-Amp?sku=180252&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26019000

which one should I stick with?

and also, why don't we have a bass thread if we have plenty of bass players present?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Schatten posted:

I'd get neither. Save your dollars and get this: http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...snum=1&ct=title

It's the Tascam Mp3 bass trainer. I have one, and I've had the Rockman too. This trumps it.

appreciated, also I'm thinking about buying some new strings.

I read in bass player magizine that D&R black beauties are 1 on thier list. are they really that good, or is it nothing but hype?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
got another question people, nearing december I want a fretless and I found this pretty little number.

is it worth it or is it a gigantic waste of money?

http://store.nationalmusicsupply.com/Items/FTL-5S-TBL?sck=10622456&caSKU=FTL-5S-TBL&caTitle=FRETLESS%20BASS%20GUITAR%205%20STRING%20TRANSLUCENT%20BLUE

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
well the thing of it is this, I'm trying to move in the direction of jazz funk and metal so I'm trying to pick up a fretless five stringer for practicing and learning.

I admit I still have a way to go as a bassist but I know I want a five stringer when I start taking my musical prospects seriously.

so uhh, could you reccomend a five stringer, fretless or not?

*edit*
my intentions for this guitar is just something to beat around btw, it isn't something I would take on stage or anything like that.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 24, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I have a question, I've been trying to play around and learn some songs but unfortunetly I've been chasing things that are way above my skill level.

so far I'm learning *almost learned* possum kingdom by the toadies, could anyone reccomend some really really easy bass tablatures for a novice such as myself.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
nope I'm saving my money for other things

and that isn't the right bass tab, this is.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/toadies/possum_kingdom_ver2_btab.htm

I could tell right away when I noticed the chords were missing, it's the only part that's given me issues in all honesty and I almost have it down.

*edit*
I tried learning this and it's wayyyy too hard for me at the moment.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/maximum_the_hormone/whats_up_people_btab.htm

Munoma fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 30, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Jan posted:

Why are you learning tabs instead of fundamental octaves and scales?

I'm learning how to read sheet music as well but really all I care about is learning, I haven't read any sort of sheet music since I was seventeen so I'm using tabs as of now until I get a feel for tuning and reading sheet.

also nobody answered my question. :argh:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
In need of helps.

Long story short I would like to ask if anyone could reccomend a good program *free or otherwise* that would allow me to write sheet music and tablature. Alternate features such as allowing me to adjust things like tempo and which clef I compose on for the sake of harmony and melody would also be awesome.

and if it helps I play bass

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

MancXVI posted:

Very astute.
:iamafag:

MancXVI posted:

Guitar Pro is a wonderful program that does exactly what you want it to. It's $60 and there's a demo version so you can see how boffo it is. There are tons of guitar pro tabs out there, too.

Oh seriously? I acctually used a demo way back when to work tablatures but it started asking for money and I was broke at the time.

Thanks alot.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I never saw the point in playing a pick but for the sake of being openminded are there any actual benefits?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

scuz posted:

Speaking from experience, I can rock harder, play faster, and not get laughed off-stage at punk shows. I've never been able to duplicate the aggressive, just plain mean sounds you can get out of using a pick with my fingers.

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

four finger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig3yw5XqQ0

double thumb *for those who don't know perhaps*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Quoted for new page because it is loving awesome and refutes the argument that you can't slap w/ a pick :D

yeah but still I consider pick bass to be completely oxymoron.

*edit*

yeah one guy is talented but why waste time trying to learn how to pick and slap when you can just play a bass *in the way I belive it should be played* with your fingers. Leave picks to electric guitarists.

*second edit*

besides name one recognized great that exclusively uses a pick that matches the skill of Wooten or Matt Garrison

Munoma fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Paul McCartney, Chris Squire, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, John Entwhistle.

Why did you put in the word "exclusively?" Was it because you already thought of people who used picks that were great players but wanted to try and exclude them because they also used their fingers and other techniques as well?

You need to realize that pick/plectrum/whatever is just a tool. It is used to gain certain tones that are not attainable via fingers. If you put a stigma on playing bass with a pick, then you have a lot to learn.

I just have a bias against a pick, If I wanted to use a pick I'd pick up an electric guitar. My stepdad plays guitar and I wanted to deviate from him in being a musician.

Most of the great greats, I.E Jaco, Wooten, Matt ect can't be touched by the guys you listed but it doesn't change the fact that they are accomplished musicians.

I associate a bass player with the fact that he/she stays away from pick, if he wants to use a pick he should pick up a guitar. I apologize for not agreeing with you but I'll have to stand on my bias and agree to disagree.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Like I said it's just my opinion I apologize if it may seem I'm being arrogant but I think bass players shouldn't rely on picking or use picks.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Not really but I did admit that I have a bias and I didn't insult you nor need a reason to be insulted.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to get personal, so I apologize for that. This instrument isn't just a hobby of mine, it's a passion. And I just think you need to open your mind a LOT in terms of the fundamental roots of the instrument and its techniques.

There is MUCH more to the world of bass than the technical wank-fests of Wooten and Jaco.

And I'm not saying that, I'm saying to me what seperates a bass player from a guitarist is how they play thier instrument and to me the biggest thing that sets them aside is the fact that ALL electric guitarists play with a pick and not ALL bass players play with a pick.

I am wrong in the fact that I could be more open minded but really I'd rather not because I want to seperate myself from joe blow, I don't want to hold a pick in the middle of my fingers and slap and pop I want to go all out and crazy without a pick altogether.

I will admit I am being closeminded but I am firmly admiting that I have a bias and I am stating that there is a reason to my bias, if you disagree I apologize but lord forgive me if I offend you over a simple opinion.

DrChu posted:

daddy issues ITT

Also: http://www.fretlessbass.com/WootenVictorInterview-01.html

*facepalm*

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I would like to ask if we have no hard feelings then, I'm here to learn because I know for a fact that I'm not a master and my goal in hanging around here is to learn.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
well in that last bit *while not nessacarily trying to earn the last word*

Please try to understand that you're not the only person here who's passion in life is music, I just happened to find playing a little later than you but I've loved music as long as I was nine.

I apologize again if I've irritated or offended you, but my goal *as funny as it may sound* is composing classical pieces in the future. I consider picking up an instrument to be meer baby steps in my future goals.

*edit*

And to show I'm a good sport, what are some good novice bass players that play pick that you could reccomend *study wise*. I'm acctually learning a song by a pick bassist at this current moment. Toshiya of Dir En Grey is a pick bassist, and I'm learning the song "Akuro no Oka".

Munoma fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2009

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Scarf posted:

Novice? I couldn't really tell you. I wouldn't really call him novice, but Gene Simmons of Kiss maybe? His lines are pretty easy to follow.

Thank you. And again I'm truly sorry if I've given you the wrong impression to the message I was trying to present due to either my ignorance or lack of delivery.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

I don't really get anything out of Rocksmith that finding a tab and playing along to an mp3 wouldn't do.

You really need to know the basics of playing first because Rocksmith isn't going to teach you very well, and by the time you've got the basics down, you probably don't need a computer game to tell you you've hit a wrong note.

Still a pretty fun game though, even if all the bass tones it gives you always sounds like similar shades of mud to me.

Rocksmith really has done wonders for me but you have to use all of the features of the game.

A very strong example being that if you happen to have a song that you struggle with put that part of the song in riff repeater. While tinkering mess with the settings so you can slowly build speed as well as accuracy.

Also I made it a habit of playing score attack with the goal of getting platinum on easy for every song I've mastered in the learn a song function.

If you happen to learn a song but step away from it and you don't want to deal with master mode throw the song in nonstop play. *Master mode never appears in nonstop for me even if I've 100% a song.

Finally the technique games are pretty fun and help you become a much more technical player and the lessons are well detailed in their explanations.

However I spent many years playing Bemani games. I.E Dance Dance Revolution, Pop'n Music. So for someone like me it comes more naturally than it may for others.

I hope this helps, don't dismiss the game.

*edit*

Apparently, master mode can be unlocked for songs the game just expects you to know. However, there is a feature in options where you can turn off master mode universally.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 25, 2016

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Hi, need help with something.

I'm in dire need for an amp but I want something that I can play my electric on as well. That and I really want a USB connector on the amp so I can directly record onto my computer with Audacity.

I know Peavy makes an amp that works this way but would anyone else know of a brand or model?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

What do you want to play through this amp, exactly? Electric bass and electric guitar? Upright bass and electric bass? Can't really tell what you're asking.

I want an amp that I can use for my electric bass guitar, I also have an electric six string guitar that I would like to use as well.

As for the USB connectivity I didn't realize that it would be a bad decision. Right now I have a 1/4 to USB cable and that works just fine in Audacity so maybe it's not worth looking into.

So better question.

What is an affordable bass amp within 300 to 500 dollars US that I can play my six string electric guitar on as well?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I appreciate the detailed response, though most of what you said is greek to me.

I'll look into it further, thank you very much.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Last question for now.

What's a reliable six string bass under 1K? What company do you guys go to for strings?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

It's hard to beat Ibanez on a bang-for-buck scale, especially for 5- and 6-string instruments. You don't pay too much but you get a lot of bass.

That's really awesome to hear, my electric is an Ibanez. It wasn't expensive at all and it sounds great.

Right now I have this Dean 4 string and I want to learn how to play Squarepusher tracks along with some obscure metal songs.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Get the best Nordstrand (or CND) pickup-equipped Ibanez you can afford. They're great.

I use DR strings, the light Hi-Beams on my Stambaughs and the Legend flatwounds on my Precision. (and also DR's on my electric and acoustic guitars!)

Right on, I started off with DR because I fell for the gimmick of the Black Beauties. After switching to a non-colored string I never moved to anything else.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

No input at all guys? :(

The only thing I would ask, are you comfortable playing a fretless bass?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I found some people to jam with so I need some advice.

My warm up track is the Trooper by Iron Maiden.

My playstyle is a mix of Funk, Jazz, and Metal.

Any song cover recommendations?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

tarlibone posted:

... ... ...

try... not... to... sink... to... that... level...

Sorry... my eye is twitching. I'm either having a stroke, or imagining that you're suggesting he play a Cliff Burton Metallica song with a... a... pick.

Must be the twitching eye.

uh, I'm a finger bassist anyway.

Trying to learn how to double thumb.

No pick songs, or if it's a pick song like Paranoid Android by Radiohead I'll double thumb. I only use pick as a means of knowing how to do it. I don't like the sound and I think it's a crutch.

As for my playstyle think of a mix of TM Stevens meets Erland Caspersen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSWtwGSDVkc

No I am not this good. I want to be though.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What kind of songs do the other folks like to play? Possibly work out a cover everyone can work on ahead of time?

Not important, I'm focusing on my ability to play.

I asked for a means of improving my ability, my competence in music theory was not requested.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

The Science Goy posted:

E: my reply is a bit snarky, but you shot down good advice. Rug Munchu gave a solid tip to both find good relevant practice material and to help set up a successful jam.

Advice I didn't ask for, why is this a hard idea to digest?

Anyway thanks, I'll look into the songs.

*edit*

Forgive me for being blunt. No matter how good or bad advice could be at the end of the day the goal was simply.

"I play x genre, what are songs I can play?"

You didn't see me be a dick to the troll post immediately afterward did you?

Since when is being concise frowned upon?

*edit*

Finally the project is my own EP.

oops

Munoma fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Erotomania or Stream of Consciousness (if you have a 6er) by Dream Theater as a warmup, or a jam, or a cover. :feelsgood: And then you can work on the harder stuff like A Change of Seasons or the Glass Prison.

Real talk when I get my six string one of the first songs I plan on learning is Panic Attack by Dream Theater.

I just need to study some more Victor Wooten, everyone wants to sound like Jaco instead of sounding like themselves IMO.

I can't promise anything but I hope to be on the road to working with these songs by the end of next year.

Trying to study this for double thumbing. Weed Whacker by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkNkb2IjAs

This gives me a headache from time to time but it's rewarding. Tommy the cat Primus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnB5RCKl7M

I can't promise anyone will like this *Mathcore/Noise* but, this is my favorite song from my favorite band. I plan on covering this with friends, I'll be doing bass *obviously* and main vocals for the cover. Recorded inside a pyramid Daughters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ioNQoAPc8

The very lyrics in my avatar are from the first track of the album "Hell Songs" "Daughters spelled wrong"