Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've stayed away from this thread like it was the liquor aisle before an AA meeting. I played pretty heavy for 15 years then just ... quit in 2000 or so. I've kept an upright and/or acoustic handy for the last decade for those itch moments, but really looking to go back to my roots.

Trying to get my priorites back on track I emptied my storage locker this weekend:
High school basses included a late 80s era Kramer-Spector NS2, early 80s J, a short-scale frankenbass (from those experimental college years), a fretless SSD, and a Sterling that is pretty much untouched. That (Korean?) NS2 was pretty close to being in tune. That made the guilt worse.

My old GK 800RB I am half afraid to turn on. It has been repaired 3 times. I've an Eden 2x10 and an Ampeg 2x15 but need to figure out a practice arrangement that works w/ the current schedule of "the wife is in bed and I have to use headphones." I never used headphones before, and get bored if I'm not playing with along with some background track - even if it is tv jingles. Should I just get a headphone amp like above and a splitter to run an mp3 player to, or is there a better option for no-latency playback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There are dozens of low watt practice amps with headphone jacks and inputs for mp3 players (still typically needing a 1/4 inch).
Thanks, that'll fit nicely and I hadn't thought practice amps would take 2 inputs like that.

Revvik posted:

Wait are you selling any of that old gear?

Only the fretless and the 2x15. That cabinet isn't worth the gas my friend is going to spend picking it up, and the fretless - I bought it w/o enough time to get to know it. In high school I feel in love with a fretless Spector in a shop that I couldn't afford. It was this ugly purple thing with gold hardware but the sound was exactly what I was looking for. A few years later I bought this one, and made excuses for it, but it never had that same tone. No growl at all, very flat-sounding. A friend from college always wanted it, so he's taking those as a package.

I'll probably keep the other basses forever.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah for that generic description I'd vote pawn shop Pbass.

I'm coming from 3 J necks and an aging Spector, but starting to look for a standard P bass. Just something about that no-frills, no apologies (no excuses) tone.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm old and out of touch. Saw this headstock today (screencap from Skints vid "can't take no more") and thought the body was maybe a newer Tobias (I had one in 1994, for about 3 months) but don't recognize the headstock. Looks like either butterflies framing a "T" or "BTB". Anyone?

Sorry for the bad screencap. There's some minor cutaway on the headstock just behind the white bar (a light bulb).

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

Ibanez BTB series?

That was it! Thanks.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I grew up playing upright in bluegrass, country acts. 20 years ago sold all the acoustics, switched to a Spector. About 10 years ago I bought a Sterling. I like the neck better but it doesn't feel as solid. I really miss a beater, if that makes sense.

Been wanting a fretless again. Also been looking at laklands after playing one from an opener. Saw a fretless skyline 4401 on reverb for what I thought was a good price. So 2 birds, one stone.

Any one have one? My local market, I can't get my hands on one to try similar out. Never actually seen one before.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Well poo poo. My 800RB blew last night. It just popped and set off the smoke detector. This is the third time in its lifetime (bought used in 1994). Got my mileage, but think I am done with it.

While I try and catch up to modern times and research a new head, I want to buy a practice amp. I am looking for recommendations. Wishes and fishes I'd like a cheapo built-in tuner, aux input, compressor and eliminate the externals. I'd like something that could double as a tilt-back monitor, but I've got enough spare cabs where that isn't make or break. It will probably just be for headphone/line-out stuff, so I don't really care about power and speaker. Coworker works nights at a Guitar Center so anything common I can probably get for 20% off if I buy new. He's suggesting the Fender Bronco ($200 out the door) but I'm not sure if those bells and whistles are worth the extra $100 I could get from a Craigslist buy.

Any suggestions? I'm in no hurry, just irritated.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jonithen posted:

Put in for a deposit on a Stingray5 classic in starry night. I am dumb and bad with money.

I love that finish. My Sterling HS is in the natural gloss and it is kinda boring. I'd buy that Starry Night in a heartbeat if I could come up with an excuse.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Not to distract from the current dogpile, but a story about some effort in guitar reviews.

I was looking for an old interview with the bass player from the Pilfers, and thought it was in an old issue of Bass Player magazine. Went to their website to see if they have old articles online.

Started down that rabbit hole, and clicked on this review of a Cort bass (I always liked Greg's Curbows, not familiar with other offerings). written by "BP Staff"

Went to Cort's website, here's their product description of the bass.

It is the exact same text. And they say print is dead.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Also consider the VM Jaguar. PJ setup, J neck, and short scale available may make it easier to transition from guitar.

Haven't played a short scale, but common comment is the pickup's are lackluster.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Christabel posted:

That looks like it could be it! Thanks - gonna start saving now.

My Sterling was the first bass I ever bought new. Other than needing some fretwork it has been my favorite bass. I got the H-J version and it is very versatile. Kept me from buying another 4-string/fretted bass for 10 years.

Do any of you guys have a Sire bass? I played one last week and was pretty impressed. I wouldn't trade out my MM for it, but am toying with getting an alder/rosewood one. But my 10-minute first impressions are usually a little rosey.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thanks. I am looking for a funk/soul bass backup. Which was why I was thinking rosewood/alder (little less bright, from my experience). I'll keep the flatwounds idea in mind. How'd you set your mids-sweep?

The price is ridiculous. I'd order a fretless but they are still in pre-order only, I guess waiting on enough orders to make it cost-effective.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I had an svt in the 90s. At different times both the 2x15 and classic 8x10 fridges. About every other punk bands player did.

I sold the svt after first tour and went to an 800rb driving a 4x10, with occasional rental or house 15/18. I'll be honest I miss the tone and pure balls of the SVT sometimes, but not enough to go back. It is one of those grandpa war stories I tell people dragging that rig up from basement bars.

I'd say if you found "your tone" make it happen. I'm jealous.

I'm struggling to find a replacement for my GK. The new ones just don't feel right, and while I can pick up an old one pretty cheap, I'd really like to join the millennium.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've been looking for a combo for a practice amp. Ideally I was looking for built-in tuner, some overdrive, AUX in, phone and XLR out, and under 40 lbs. Not trying to play over a drummer. Just wanted a 1-hander for practice and writing with guitarist.

Guy is advertising a TC Electronic BG250 115 for $250. Includes a Squier Affinity P-bass, cables and stand. Everything "like new". I have no interest in the bass but figure I can turn it into a project.

This is way more amp than I need but that's fine. Same ad was posted a month ago and went away before I could respond. Price seems a little too good to be true, but I'm hoping that (a) he's 90 minutes away from a real town and (b) he's not advertising the amp which is keeping it under the radar. I just caught it from the photo.

In case it is real - just how bad is the Affinity line? I've never seen one. I'm ok with swapping out the pups. Might have a bridge that would fit it. Been playing for 25 years and I've never owned a Fender...

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Fretless conversion :getin:

I've seen it done well by end-user, but I'm way too impatient to do it myself. I'd get in a hurry and do more damage than good. If I go that route I'd order a neck from Warmouth. I started as an upright guy, but every fretless bass I've bought has been a let-down.

I guess the nice thing about a project bass is I can do a little bit at a time. I've always just bought basses, never learned much about the hardware other than "I like this but not that".

My initial thought was just to make a classic Motown thumper, but then paint/finish it something obnoxious. I learned to play electric by plucking along to Duck Dunn and that's what I am going for.

Restring with flats day 1. Put in some better pickups; probably replace pots if the electronics are as bad as I keep hearing. I'm open to suggestions from the gang posting P-basses from the previous page.

I'll give the bridge and tuners a shot, but probably will get an extender if the bass isn't complete garbage. At that point I'd probably replace all the hardware.

If this ends up being a waste of time and effort I will just donate the thing and keep my eye out for a better P-bass as a starting point. Going to buy a Sire next, this just came up as a "why not?" project since it comes with the amp.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sockington posted:

For the price of those parts, you could sell your Affinity P-bass for $100 and buy a used Classic Vibe P-bass with less than you'd spend on parts.

Yeah. I realized I was getting carried away. I was talking to a friend about this and he reminded me of a mutual friend who spent $24k on a Ford Focus, by going stupid on options. I hate Fender for their over-complicated product lines, but I just want a functional beater.

I'm ok with putting $$$ in parts into a project over time but maybe should just find the right platform. $100-150 for pickups, maybe $20 for the cap and wiring. $80 for an extender, probably another $100 for tuners? I've got an old Badass bridge from an aborted college project.
I definitely won't put a fretless neck on it after thinking how unhappy I've been with the fretless basses I've had - I'm going to want to play that first.

I guess I should just cap myself somewhere. Put $250 into a "free" bass. Hold off on the extender/paint for now. If it still sounds/feels like crap, rip off the replacements, put the stock back on it, and give it away. I'd really only be out the pots/jack/cap. Save the parts for down the line. My first electric was a Peavey Fury. For years I've been toying with the idea of buying back my childhood, and upgrading that. Heavy SOB.

May be a moot point, anyway. Go look at this stuff tomorrow. Probably going to be murdered out in the desert by someone who reeled in a sucker.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

FeloniousDrunk posted:

How interested should I be in a non-squier jaguar bass, coming as a casual 6 guitar player? I put a bid on eBay, I thought I was low balling but now the days are playing out and I'm still the high bidder and I'm afraid a) I might end up with it, or b) this might be a great thing. Basically do I bid higher, or let it go. Basically basically what is a used jaguar bass worth.

I was watching those earlier this year because I like the body style and PJ setup.

Standard or American Standard? I know I've seen $400 & $800, respectively. Quick glance at Reverb shows $450/875.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Quick Q - is a Gallien Kruger MB115 worth £250/$324?

Thanks,

That's what I was going to get if this TC Electronic didn't pan out. I am really biased toward GK amps.

Version 1 or 2 (aluminum or cloth grill)? I've head the v1 had poor qc. For the v2 series GK moved ops back to the US. That's a good price on a v2 (new they're $450) but I've seen used ones for $300.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I brought home a BG250-115 and the Squier P-bass. I was half-right: I thought this was a rig a guy bought for himself but decided bass wasn't for him. Turns out he bought it for his teenager, who didn't take to it. Strings were pretty new on the bass, and Dad said they'd never been changed. Dad said maybe 5 hours of use (but he's trying to make a sale...)

On the bass, I'm actually surprised how not-awful it is. It feels light and cheap like a toy (even the pickguard feels cheap), but sounds fine. Neck is fine. Frets are fine. I was shocked it was setup well. No scratch on the pots or jack, but the electronics have got to go. I know it is passive and all, but the volume is pretty much all or nothing. And the tone is similarly black, white, and one color of grey. It may as well be a 3-way toggle.

Amp:
Didn't want to wake wife up, so just playing through headphones but mixed first impression. Perfect for practice amp and carrying to practice w/ guitarist. That's why I bought it. Paid $250. Easier to list some negatives rather than submit the "I've had it for 1 day and here's my 5-star review!"

Surprised there's no gain dampener for active inputs. Limiter flashed earlier than I thought it should.

As expected, 99% of the digital effects are filler. There's a decent octave and chorus for noodling. The overdrive is fine. Compressor presets I didn't like. Didn't touch the flanger, phaser or vibrato. Half of the presets I tried just gained the poo poo out of the signal and would require a gain adjustment, not just a foot switch.

Tuner discrepancy between my old Korg and the built-in. My ear may be biased but I thought the TC was off.

Not playing through the speaker but at high levels there's this weird overtone I can't place. Like a weak chorus. Tomorrow I'll ditch the headphones and try some other basses. Try to determine amp or bass. This is a new one for me.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jonithen posted:

I'm giving it the none-more-black treatment, and the last thing left is changing the tuning machines and the bridge. Decisions are about whether I want to spring for the de-tuner (bass xtender, whatever you want to call it) and if throwing the tapewounds is just going too far.

I briefly owned a j partsbass with all black hardware. Where I got hung up was strings. Tapewounds are just so limited, imo. Great on a fretless or acoustic, but just too dead for me to put on anything else.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I was going to recommend Craigslist as well. If OP really wants a small 25W cheap amp, those can be found for $25-50 used. If you do shop used, small amps like that, some offer a kickback/tilt design that will help you hear yourself.

If you're set on new and those are your options I'd go with the Ampeg. It has a pink power indicator.

I don't understand the controls on the Eden and the Hartke is probably fine.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

been reading talkbass here and there lately and it's exactly what, i, as a guitar player learning bass, expected a forum for bass guitarists to be. it's cool that they've sustained a large community tho

I am just a single instrument guy, and TB is perfect for bassists' hugbox. I read it time to time as a twisted source of humor.

I was able to find another manufacturer for a 30yr old pre amp, right next to posts about tonewood aging for a $7000 bass.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

:agreed:

The useful and knowledgeable experts left that place looooong ago. It used to be great for technical info. Now it's just a circle jerk and will likely resort to a fetishist site in a few years

I find that if I am still looking for a very specific piece of info, it is usually one of the first results from a google search. Now I just search there. May be in an old thread, but usually there.

But forget having an account there. The combination of bass autism and circle-jerk is like an unholy marraige of the worst SA subforums. Hilarious but awful.

Funny to me when you are reading an old thread and see someone with a banned tag. How do you get banned from a site like TB?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

They've got a thread going on about metal basses right now and it's amazing. there's people posting about how much teen girls love paul mccartney and how attractive violin basses are to women

I won't lie. I thought about buying this:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

ewe2 posted:

But is it good for grunge?

I was thinking prog fusion, but needs 3 more strings.

e: I went to show the wife the pink bass to ask her if it got her "in the mood" but stumbled on this:

I'm pretty sure I need this. I had seen one of these done before with the black hardware on a good gunmetal/blue, similar finish to this. I don't know the word, not quite matte, more of a powdercoat?

Instead I pulled the trigger on a Sire v7 (same price!). Alder/rosewood. I am used to heavy-ish basses, thanks for fucks' sake.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2016

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I got a Squier Pbass thrown into a Craigslist buy for free. Structurally sound, but the poly paint color on this thing is awful and boring. I plan to give it a paintcan makeover. I have an idea in my head but looking to do it on the cheap. Just don't want it to look runny and poo poo. Thinking metallic (flaked) orange, if I can find it in a rattlecan.

I watched a vid of a guy using a heatgun and scraper and that looked like more effort than I'm willing to throw at it. Anyone have any experience just sanding that down through the clearcoat, and painting over? Would it be something like (1) sand through clear coat (2) primer on top of existing paint (3) new paint (4) clear.

Part of my hangup is pickguards for the cheapo affinity aren't standard P-bass plates. Cheap 1-ply. I think black and white are my only options short of having a custom one made. I really don't want to spend $50 on a pickguard for a $100 guitar. I don't have tools to make one myself.

This isn't something I intend to sell. Already have several basses and this will just be a project that rarely gets played.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Just give it a scuff sand to break any gloss. Around 400 grit should be plenty.

If you want big flake it's hard to get out of a can. Krylon has a line called glitter blast, and I think Rustolium has something similar.
There is this stuff but it's pricey. I have no first hand experience using it.
http://rothmetalflake.com/rattle-bombs/29-rattle-bomb-all-in-one.html#/rattle_bomb_all_in_one-twisted_tangerine

This is perfect, thanks.

I do have an orbital, good suggestion.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Heat it or use stripper and scrape it.

edit: Or, yeah, just scuff and paint over it.

tarlibone posted:

It is stripper that you need. Strip it as far as you can, then sand it.

Just remember, this isn't a fence you're painting. Watch some videos about finishing guitars before you tackle this if it's your first time.

Message received! I read somewhere not to try a paint stripper on poly finishes. I keep seeing examples of scuffing for poly paints. I'll borrow a heat gun from work and see how easy that goes first. Saw a vid on stewmac where it came off in huge chunks, another on youtube where it was slivers at a time.

I do intend to primer either way. I watched several videos, and saw great examples of what I don't want (wet, runny-looking). Too much paint too soon, looks like? I'll buy extra paint and practice on wood blocks for a while, the painting part, anyway.

Driving home I started wondering where I am going to do this. I live in an incredibly dusty environment. My garage is really just storage for dirt and starting to get cold out there.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Anyone go with fretless acoustics (but not uprights)? How do they play, do they actually make enough sound to be heard in anything more than a duo or such?

I've had two and sold both. Not the most primo instruments (first was a Kramer, second a Washburn) but similar issue.

Played great, but you are right they are very quiet when not mic'd / amped. For practice and a duo they were fine, except one guitarist I played with who only had one volume - loud.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Neighbor kid wants the Affinity P-bass that I got with the recent amp purchase, so I am going to do a good deed and give it to him. He can shovel my driveway this winter.

It did get me jonesing for a P-bass, though. My only P-pickup is on my 80's Spector but it isn't the sound I am looking for. My local options are pretty much a tiny GC, Craigslist and small music shops w/ high markups. I've been looking online, but hate not being able to check something out beforehand.

I really want a thinner/narrower neck. Was considering putting a MIJ Geddy neck on a MIM P body, but that was going to get me around $700-800+ when it is all said and done. Maybe more. Found a Nate Mendel sig Pbass for about $600, which has a narrower nut than standard, upgraded pickups and bridge. Has a decent return policy. Anyone played one? On paper it sounds like what I am looking for, except for the quarter-pounder pickups, so if I swap those out I am probably in the same ballpark pricing as piecing one together.

I'm on a road trip so I've been checking Craigslist for the towns I'll be driving through. Found some good deals on things I don't need.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

If you're alright with something that's more likely a PJ, look for an older Ibanez.

I had a soundgear a long time ago, sold it to my guitarist when we all went our separate ways. I liked the neck but hated everything else. So I haven't considered them since.

My problem with current Ibanez is the same issue I have w/ Fender - too many product lines. Got a suggestion for model/years to sort through?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought a used tc electronic bg250 for pretty much the exact same reasons. I paid $250. It is fine, loud and light. I can take it over to the guitar player's house on a lark.

I do like the built-in tuner, but the digital effect banks are mostly garbage. I only use two of the options.

But for just solo practice it is overkill. You ought to be able to find something smaller and cheaper.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Lol I've seen replacement Ric parts on eBay. $0.05 piece of plastic for $100.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

You're almost better off buying one of those $200 AliExpress copies for spare parts.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've been on the road for a bit, but this was waiting for me when I got home. Almost forgot I'd ordered it.

I only had a few minutes to plug it in today but is comfortable in the hands. Pickups/18v preamp are very hot. Just the slightest touch off of center for the bass and the house was shaking. The variable mid will take getting used to. The main tone knob moves too freely with the stacked volume.

Mostly I spent an hour playing it in passive because I couldn't find any 9v batteries. Wife had raided my cases when smoke detectors went off at 3am. There was no case candy, not even a product card, but allen key and 2 batteries are in the gig bag if you order direct.

Cosmetically, the binding looks odd to me (color-wise) compared to the blocking and the nut. The truss road access cavity is pretty rough (paint looks bad, and the cutout into the pickguard needs sanded). The nut looked weak (thin) and too shallow to me, I thought I'd have to file it down but no buzzing. It was actually set up really well for me (I don't like really low action, this would be like medium-low).

The tuners tuned; we'll see how they hold but I do want an Xtender on there. First thing is to replace the pickguard. I knew I wouldn't like the red when I ordered it but my emailed request for the white was denied.

10-lbs.

Brand-new, every new purchase seems awesome, so I'll give it some time. I will say this - it doesn't sound or feel like a $400 bass. Not even close.

Other news, I had to get dog food and there's a pet store next to a Guitar Center in my town. I knew it was small but had never been in this location. Awful selection (basically Fender/Squier, a few Ibanez, and like 20 SUBs), but I did see that they are still making Aerodyne basses (or have brought it back). Always liked the look of those. But my big laugh was the 2016 "Elite" fenders. I tried the P since I am sort of in the market. The C/D neck isn't that magical. Definitely lol no thank you for $1800, Fender. I played it against a Squier VM and there's sure as poo poo no $1400 difference. They should be embarrassed.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 8, 2016

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sockington posted:

Which bass did you get?

Sorry, I thought I had posted a photo with the shipping crate.

It is a Sire V7. Alder/rosewood. $400 (cheapest option).

I've been giving it some time for the last week and really like it. I've got houseguests this week so mostly playing into headphones, in passive. My main gripe is still that the tone/volume stack is hard to turn one w/o the other. That's a pretty minor complaint. My bandmates said they preferred the Sire's more mellow tone over my EBMM Sterling but that was probably just them being nice.

Went to a music shop the other day w/ a friend dropping off his guitar for repair. Still looking at P-basses. They had several of these "Fender Special Edition Delux" PJs for $800 new, but then a 2015 right next to them for $550. I couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it was the filthiest thing I have ever seen. Food on knobs. Pickups looked covered in snot or something. It was pretty impressive in its own right. I didn't buy it because it was in Sunburst but I would have christened it Goon Bass.

The cheap Nate Mendel I had found sold before I got off the pot. Found another one online for about $650, or an American Standard for $700 with HSC. It has upgraded pickups (Seymour Duncan) but the guy selling doesn't know which. Anyone know if they're they stamped underneath? I've never bought anything but EMGs and Barts. I'd probably prefer the neck on the Mendel, but this American Standard is the better deal and I should pull the trigger today.

I should stop buying things I don't need. I started the year saying I would to get repairs done on wife's old (60s?) Teisco short-scale, buy a fretless, and a practice amp. So far only bought the amp and two unplanned basses, looking at a third...

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

FedEx man paid me a visit.

Box is awfully wide. How'd they keep things from shifting?

Came in a decent case

I admit I am not crazy about the color. Bought primarily on price.

But hey, it sparkles! Everything is better with sparkles.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Is that the MIA one you were talking about before? I like the color combo.

I'm trying very hard to resist inquiring about the Bergantino HT210 on my local craigslist. Don't buy more cabs... don't buy more cabs...

Dang, there's a Euphonic Audio stack on there too. Why wasn't any of this stuff around when I was actually in the market for a cab?

Yes it is a 2012 MIA. I can't find a mark on it other than a few on the pickups. I paid $650 and think I got a good deal.

I think if I'd seen the ad with a stock white pickguard I would have passed, but the guard grabbed me against the flake finish. It is growing on me.

I played a pair of Bergantino 1x12s that I absolutely loved. Get that 210!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

A little something different.

Looking to buy wife a Christmas present. She has an old Teisco SS bass that needs the electronics re-done (everything - pickups, pots, jack), strings, a replacement tuner and fretwork. She holds onto it for sentimental reasons (bought it when she divorced her guitarist-ex, lol), which is why I am thinking of having it fixed up. I -think- the neck is ok but I haven't checked the truss rod to see if it works.

Alternative would be to buy a Squier Jaguar SS. Probably similar price. She'd love the styling but the sentimental option would get me points.

She's been bugging me for "lessons" for years but I know I'd be a horrible teacher. I have bad habits and, having never taken lessons, really don't know how I'd teach her. Thinking Rocksmith to get her started, then an online option if she sticks with it. Anyone tried Rocksmith? I could even get her some of those DR colored strings but don't know if they can be cut right for a short scale. I'll measure the lengths of the Teisco ball-nut/tuner tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sounds like a pass on rocksmith. Maybe farther down the line.