Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I went to Guitar Center to unload a MIDI controller that has been gathering dust and isn't worth the trouble and expense of trying to ship. I saw a Squier Affinity Jazz on the wall and realized it was only $40 over my trade-in value. Had no obvious-to-me mechanical issues and made the requisite bass sounds when plugged in. Impulse control: defeated.

In my defense, I went down a bass rabbit hole on YouTube recently (mostly thanks to JuliaPlaysGroove and Thundercat) so it was like going to the grocery store hungry.

Guess I'm a bass player now. My wife clearly thinks this is stupid but is humoring me, isn't that part of the Bass Dad checklist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ewe2 posted:

Getting a replacement saddle from the seller. I'm making do with a flat piece of quartz, does the job quite well actually.

Guess you'll be playing a lot of HARD ROCK hyuk hyuk

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Speaking of practice amps, is an irig2 + iPad + free Amplitube a decent solution for practice away from my computer, or are the amplug type devices the way to go?

The irig leads in my mind because it seems more flexible and is $10 cheaper but let me know if I'm off on this.

e: the irig 2 is available for $30 direct from IK on eBay, this feels like a no brainer now

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 9, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I hadn't noticed before that the NUX had a digital out. One of the things that appealed to me about the irig was that I could use a tuner app on my tablet/phone instead of buying a standalone tuner. But not being tethered to anything is probably worth the extra $40 in the long run.

Looks like a new NUX MP-2 and used Fender Micro are about the same price. Also looks like the Micro is mostly intended for guitar - anyone tried both?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thinking of dropping up to $200 or so on a no-computer, grab-and-go headphone practice solution with some sort of aux in (wired or bluetooth). I'd like it to be a reasonably multipurpose investment that I can use for other things as I grow as a player without having to immediately buy more gear. I haven't ruled out something like a Mighty Plug Pro, which was recommended to me upthread, but it's kind of a one-trick pony (even if it's really good at that one trick).

Right now I'm using an iRig HD2 with an iPad or my laptop, but it's a lot of mucking around with cables and software and I'm always worried a wrong move will yank a cable and send the whole thing to the floor.

I've looked at mini amp heads like the TC BAM200/BH250, and GK MB200 and micro combos like the Phil Jones Micro 7, but forum wisdom seems to be against these as long-term investments. Used options currently on the market for something in a pedal format are the Zoom B3n ($150ish), Darkglass Element ($170ish), Quilter InterBass ($220), and the Zoom B1 Four ($80ish) as the economy solution. I'm leaning towards the B3n as the one with the most room to grow but curious if any of the other options are a secret slam dunk.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DrChu posted:

I've been considering something like the DSM & Humboldt Bass Station - https://www.simplifieramp.com/bass-station-2 Its $300 MSRP so a little above your price range, but I've seen used ones go for closer to $200.

:eyepop:

I knew there had to be something out there I hadn't yet heard of. "Sansamp Para DI plus basic cab sim and headphone amp, but not as much as buying all three separately" was what I had in my head as my perfect solution and this seems to be pretty much that? Effects are cool but it will be a while before I go down that rabbit hole.

The B2 Four is tempting too but that Simplifier might be the ticket.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I stumbled into a B1 Four for $65 shipped and for that price, gently caress it, what's the risk? Even if it sucks rear end it will be a long time before I'm good enough for it to matter.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Finally got brave enough to open up my bass and work out why my cable fits so loosely.

How do I fix this? YouTube and Google are no help, just millions of results showing me how to tighten the nut to stop a loose jack from wiggling, which is clearly not the problem.

Looks like I need to move the tip spring farther up the sleeve but damned if I can figure out how to do it. I've removed the lock and rubber washers but the remaining pieces seem fused together and I can't seem to get them to wiggle or rotate using as much force as I'm comfortable putting on them.

e: phone posting, didn't mean for the image to be that big

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 5, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That thought occurred to me. I've sworn off cheap soldering irons and was putting off buying a nice one, so that $7 purchase becomes a $120 one (albeit money I was planning on spending sooner or later, so I can accept it).

And yeah it's all the way in. What's stopping the plug is the end of the sleeve/barrel, not the nut. This happens even if I completely remove the jack from the face plate.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I remembered Wirecutter had a recommendation for something a little more economical than the Hakko so I went with their baseline pick (X-Tronic). It's $60 and I'm not doing Arduino or ham radio stuff anymore, just fixing my kid's toys and random crap around the house (and now guitar repair/upgrades I guess :v:). I don't really care if the reheat is a little slower because I'm likely only going to be doing a half dozen connections in a job, not 50+. I just remember how much I hated the lovely Weller I had previously that couldn't decide if it wanted to be barely warm to the touch, or to cosplay the surface of the sun.

I also ordered a Switchcraft output jack so all further analysis is academic, I guess!

Basic Poster posted:

But Im kinda baffled that the plug sits like that in the jack.

Me too! It's not just bent. The depth is all wrong. The plug in the previous pic was a D'Addario cable (this kind). Here it is with another TS plug inserted: https://imgur.com/a/9z5EBWi

(I knew imgur was changing a bunch of stuff but I guess the BBcode embeds are gone now?)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have an update and it's stupid.

So I got a brand new Switchcraft 11 jack, test fit the D'Addario cable, and the fit is better but still not fully latching. I think the tip is too fat, because if I squeeze the leaf spring it will fit perfectly into place (then pop out again when I let go). I also test fit with a Hosa TS adapter I had laying around and that was fine. I guess I need a different cable too?

e: I found another instrument cable with my piano stuff. It fits perfectly in the new jack but still doesn't sit deep enough in the old one. So I guess the plug is too long and the old output jack is too shallow.

For maximum comedy, when I was test fitting the jack to the plate, I dropped the washer into the gap between the pickup and body where it is firmly stuck just out of reach. Am I going to damage the pickup if I use a magnet to try and fish it out (assuming it's even magnetic)? Otherwise I might need to unstring and remove the pickup :cripes:

I have half a mind to just trade this thing back to GC, trapped washer and all, and get a Classic Vibe. There is a nice natural finish 70s Jazz around 30 minutes away...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

The scratchplate is far too thin for it as it was probably from a backrouted or siderouted bass.

It's a used 2020ish Squier Affinity so I assume it is thin because cheap :v:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 10, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

You'd have to have a pretty drat strong magnet to gently caress up a pickup, the magnet in it is right in the center and wrapped in wire, you don't even need to remove the strings, just detune it enough to wiggle the pickup out (Watch for the springs, tho, they can really fly).

Turns out that a) the washer was indeed magnetic and b) no magnet I had readily at hand was able to wrest it away from the pickup magnets. I got it out by taking advantage of the fact that any metal I put near the pickup got magnetized as well... used a twist tie to raise it up and the end of a binder clip to pin it in place so that I could get my hands around it. If it's stupid but it works...

tarlibone posted:

The scratchplates are not all the same. I don't have an Affinity to measure with a caliper

I'm measuring roughly 1.5mm (like 1.55 to 1.58). No idea if it's what originally came on the guitar or not. I'm assuming the kind of person who buys a beginner bass in 2020/2021 and turns it back in to Guitar Center a year later isn't doing a lot of customization.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Weird. It's from the output of the tone pot to the sleeve of the jack. I'm not up to speed enough on guitar circuits to make much sense of that but it's 47nF which seems standard-ish in value, just not in its typical position within the circuit?

Anyways I've decided the Affinity is getting replaced with something that has more staying power. Maybe new bass pics tomorrow :toot:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Friendship ended with Affinity. Now Sterling is my best friend.

Was all set to pick up this when this popped up for the same price. While I was dithering whether I wanted the J bass or that blue/tortoiseshell P :swoon: I came across this Ray24 for basically SUB4 pricing. Only thing wrong with it besides general playing wear is a couple of paint chips free relic-ing.

I wasn't sure about the butterscotch but I really like it in person.

tarlibone posted:

The thing is, as long as the wiper of the tone pot is connected to a capacitor

Yeah I was fuzzy on my electronics terminology. It was from wiper to sleeve. The bass sounded pretty normal to me, not that my playing would be any indicator but the employee play-tested it when I traded it in and it sounded like a J-bass.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DrChu posted:

If you crank the EQs on Stingrays of course they’re going to clip, that’s how active electronics work. The flat position is about halfway up, most modern ones should have a center detent but I don’t know if the cheaper two band ones are like that or the more vintage Music Man style.

The Ray24 I posted above has center detents. The SUB apparently uses the same preamp so presumably has the same knobs.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When I was debating what to buy I did a bit of a dive into teardowns of the lower end MMs. The SUB and Ray24/25 have the same preamp but a different pickup. The consensus is that the SUB pickup is much hotter and leads to clipping/distortion where the Ray24 (and presumably the higher end models with different electronics entirely) wouldn't.

All secondhand info of course but it tracks with what you're saying.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elissimpark posted:

One of my favourite things on Japan Yahoo! are the customised instruments. Usually, it's just stickers or maybe a poo poo paintjob. Sometimes, it gets real special:

Pino Pallacchio

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
LowEndLobster on YouTube has a video series comparing various preamps and pickups on a SUB4. I think he liked the John East the best, but it's alse the most expensive one he tested.

I am fully unqualified to comment beyond simply pointing out that it's out there.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Zoom B1 Four. Aux in, headphone out, amp/cab sims, basic FX, drum loops. I got mine off Reverb for something like $60. Or just get a basic mixer with a Hi-Z input.

There is also a FLAMMA headphone amp specifically for bass, which I don't think existed when I was looking around. I did look at the NUX headphone amp, which seemed nice but was guitar-oriented like most of the others (like the Fender Mustang Micro). Not that you couldn't use those for bass, but why pay for a bunch of features you won't use?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The headphone thread in IYG discusses headphone amps often, tell them what you need and what headphones you're trying to drive and you'll get good advice

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean the kind that goes into the bass jack directly and you put headphones in for practicing!

Hmm, that's a good pick. Will look into what it can do with an iPad and maybe go that route.

:doh:

I looked at these recently and ended up going with a Zoom B1 Four, which I'm happy with but might not be exactly what you're looking for. Also, raw beginner, so very little base for comparison.

Also got an iRig HD 2 for use with iPad which is collecting dust

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Any thoughts in this thread on Ariane Cap's Music Theory for the Bass Player for a beginner supplement (I am just getting started through Studybass.com, recommended previously in this thread)?

I've been taking classical piano for a couple years and played wind instruments many years ago, but my theory has already been weak. I'm starting bass because 1) bass is cool and good and 2) I think it will really help me develop rhythm, improvisation, and take a narrower dive into theory (vs piano which is just an immediate fire hose of information).

Based on that, a bass-focused theory book seems appealing - but if it's no good or if Studybass.com will keep me covered on that front for a while, I'd like to know.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah, I saw your review of that in the theory thread (from a forum search for "Ariane Cap", oddly enough I couldn't find the actual post I was searching for) and plan to check it out. First six chapters are free and I definitely plan to check it out.

I get that "theory" itself is universal, but what I'm looking for is something with targeted exercises. Like, I can look up the intervals of a phrygian scale or reason out the notes of a C diminished sharp 9 flat 11 triple axel with chocolate syrup. Where I need help is "how would I, a player of [instrument] make use of [this concept] when playing [style]" with some exercises to reinforce.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'll give the free thing a shot first!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ordered a used Fender Rumble 500 from Guitar Center for what I thought was a great price. 24 hours later they contacted me to say oh yeah, it's nonfunctional, do you still want it? :negative:

Back to amp shopping. Debating whether to pony up an extra $100 on the next cheapest 500, but it feels like overbuying (I'm only practicing at home right now, maybe in 6-12 months I'll be looking to play with others). Before that came up I was looking at the Rumble 200, GK MB 115, or Hartke KB12/KB15, all used of course.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thanks. I think I have settled on the Rumble 200. As much as I like the form factor of the Kickback, nothing else in the price/size class seems to match the features of the rumble while still being held in high regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thanks. I think I have settled on the Rumble 200.

Me shopping for anything of consequence: https://youtu.be/P2RySXRfnWw?si=Yy9iadC1Gj99V80d