Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-ZrQPfY5o

I just can't find this enjoyable. Loving the Behold... The Arctopus intro.

Boredom intensifies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So my amp head did a weird thing at my last show. About halfway through the set it starts making these intermittent popping sounds, which seemed to be associated with vibrations of the amp head, itself. At some point I pressed down on the amp, around the input, and got a bunch of noise and what sounded like a feedback loop. I was lucky my speakers didn't blow.

Took it home, expecting to have to replace a tube, but there was no visible damage. Tested it out, and it worked fine.

Environmental factors might have come into play. It was a small, confined room that was pumped full of fog, so the thing could have gotten too hot for the fan to cool down? Not sure.

What it does mean is that I should start shopping for a new head that would go well with my new favorite, big, beefy G&L MFD tone. :homebrew: Silver linings...

If you're so inclined you could get the DMM out and test some key components?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bass nerds:

Pedal companies seem to love to make "amp in a can" preamp pedals these days. Sansamp has been doing it for ages, of course. Anyone know of a company doing an Ampeg V4 in a pedal? They make a Scrambler but I'm specifically looking for the V4 magic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JEBOman posted:

Anyone know any good jam tracks? I find playing over a song that already has a bass part distracting.

Already work your way through the White Stripes, Black Keys, Sleater-Kinney and whoever else durnt have no bassist?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

baka kaba posted:

S-K has bass parts though

Just get on YouTube and search for 'bass jam track', there's a ton (they say 'for bassists' or 'no bass') in a bunch of styles

Hey I always meant to say of all the red text avs on somethingawful yours is, by far, the weirdest.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you aren't ripping all of your pickups out for some Novaks or Porters then you clearly are not playing guitar but rather your small peepee that is unworthy of love.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dyna Soar posted:

bass fitness is a good book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDWgtB_MD24

Witness the fitness.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Basses are almost universally ugly. :shrug:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I liked the headstock shape until I noticed A.) it's flamed maple B.) the top edge is a slant rather than a straight line. gently caress that.

The pickup layout is baffling, although maybe that's just me being vanilla (I like Ps and Js and PJs.)

Because the pickups are stereo out (I assume for bi-amping) is why two of them are next to each like that I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would just use the old timey method of a "clap" where I would hold the bass up to the camera and slap the strings then use that event to sync the audio and video.

edit: oh it's a "thin/tinny" sound that's the problem. I would start pulling things from the signal chain until I identify the culprit that is a very strange issue.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 29, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also, Bass Thread, I got a Squier CV 60s P-Bass and a Cali76 compressor and the official Ampeg/Brainworx SVT-VR plugin to go with my UA Volt 2 and copy of Logic Pro. I'm so happy with the sound, it's exactly what I wanted. 😭

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Quilter Bass Block 800/802.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kevin Bacon posted:

speaking of tone though, how does sam wilkes get his insanely crisp and snappy tone? obviously technique, and he uses rounds, tone open i imagine. OD and a lot of compression? anything else?

Generally speaking, you bury the low mids and slam the upper mids, I think?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pickup most important factors:

Resonant peak, Q-factor and location of the pickup. That’s it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Was going to get the walnut 70s CV to match my walnut 70s CV Strat but got the white 60s CV and it is awesome and I am happy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gently caress I need a Jazz Bass, don’t I? My gf mentioned getting one in a pink burst and I actually had a hard time finding one for sale, let alone for less than a bazillion dollars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What in the world

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Laserface posted:

Does anyone else use a Tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass?

I have both the single-button and the deluxe edition, but they both seem to have an issue where if I run my fuzz pedals into the VT bass, (as you should, since its a preamp) then it ends up defeating most of the fuzz effect and just sounding super muddy.

is this a problem with other preamp pedals?

What happens when you turn down the level/volume control on your fuzzes?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bass thoughts for today: I spent more on a compressor than I did on my bass because I know where real toan comes from and also I’m just starting and don’t have my bass legs yet so I need something to smooth things out. Although, I’ll probably just become dependent on compression oh well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It makes playing the Seinfeld theme more fun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Which is a thing I do. A lot.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bought some of that air conditioner weather seal foam that fits perfectly next to a bridge. Gonna play some Kaye and Jamerson all weekend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Googles… :stare: wtf

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

For punchier tone I play closer to the bridge. If I want a huge sound I play closer to the neck.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Buddy the only thing im addicted to is sweet, sweet riffs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BrianRx posted:

Looking online, the H-22 appears to out of production and difficult to find for sale. For anyone more knowledgeable than me, what would make that bass sound so much different than, say, a Fender Jazz bass? Any recommendations for something similar in the sub-$2000 range?

Three things:

1) The pickup is very close to the neck. Pickups close to the neck tend to be bassier and "rounder."

2) The scale length of the bass is 30" as opposed 34". This, too, emphasizes a slightly deeper tone (as opposed to more mid-focused).

3) The pickup itself. Whatever it is, it has a specific resonant peak that emphasizes certain frequencies that you find contribute to this tone.

edit: apparently the H22 pickup has a cult following.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 14, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

tarlibone posted:

I have a third hobby that really freaks some people out, especially some of the bicycle people.

:stare: go on...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Filling in, possibly permanently, in my friend’s punk band on bass. Very excited to play fast, loud aggressive music for slow, loud drunk people. Unironically.

edit: First practice was super fun and I got to test my little HX Stomp XL + two QSC K10.2 powered speakers on bass with a full band, including two guitarists with jcm 800 half stacks. It held its own, I was very happy about that.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 14, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shageletic posted:

Punk is absolutely the cheat sheet for being competent on bass quickly. You can just rely on feel and enthusiasm until you start branching out

E: level 2 cheat code is then joining a cover band, preferably funk

:hmmyes: as one of the guitarists said last night: “you already know what it’s supposed to sound like just do that.”

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gonna order some Etymotic ER20s. Anyone recommend something they like more for hearing protection?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks! Ordered.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I got one of them Cali76s for my bass playing. It rules.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Man my only concern with that fix is the slots could wear down over time faster than a nut would on its own but I ain't no luthier. I'm more familiar with shimming to get the job done but I would love to learn more about something that is durable that you can just add to the slots.

Shageletic posted:

P bass is the way

:hmmyes:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Octave. Envelope follower. Synth.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Don Dongington posted:

I've been considering grabbing a Joyo Voodoo Octave Fuzz to mess around with - if anyone has any experience with those I'd be keen to hear about it. At $65 AUD it's pretty enticing.

It's an Octavia, right? They're sick. It's a pseudo octave up so it's narsty. It definitely is on my guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Switched mode power supplies rule and should’ve been introduced sooner.