Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

An Actual Bear posted:

Only thing I didn't like about the LP of the first Thief game was the really loud "evil" laughter in a few videos, thankfully he stopped doing it for the second game.

Can you blame the guy? Zombies are dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Recently, I bought the archives upgrade. What I'm wondering is, which LPs are made even better by reading the original thread?

The problem with reading old lp's is when they relied on waffleimages. Many of them will be missing images, so I would recommend reading the updates in the archive, then reading the thread's posts.

Edit: Actually, looking back on it, Bobbin Threadbare's Galactic Civ 2 thread was amazingly funny to read even without updates.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 17, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

OatmealRaisin posted:

Can anyone point me towards a good LP of a cover shooter? I'm curious about how it could be done in an entertaining way.

Well there are a lot of cover shooters. If you mean something along the lines of Gears of War then there is nothing that I can think of. However there are several Call of Duty lps and I kinda liked the Black Ops one.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

irishjoo posted:

I've been interested for a while in watching some streams from here but there isn't much feedback on what is good or not in the thread for them. I generally like humorous group commentary but I'm not ruling out good single person streams. I don't know if any site exists that doesn't auto-archive but I would like the stream to be watchable at some point after its live as well. Anyone have any of them that they want to recommend?

Check the stream thread. Anyone that uses twitch has it auto-archive. I myself am part of a group that plays with the guy lping civ 5 right now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm looking for some JRPG/RPGs LP's that preferably are video that aren't Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or Persona? I love watching RPG's while working on things at home and after attempting to watch guys like HC Bailey on YouTube I just want to tear my ears off my head. It can even be modern JRPG's but I really like the old school style of gameplay.

Well, there are the Oblivion and Mass Effect lps that Maxwell Adams did. Less informative, but hella funny most of the time.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody!

This might be off topic but is there a way to download all the videos on the pages from the lparchive?

I'd love to have them offline in one large file so I can watch them on my iPhone, etc.

You can download the source from here I think.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jesto posted:

Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?

I think Swery didn't stop by, but he took notice that Spy Fiction was being lped by supergreatfriend.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pickwick posted:

Hey,

I'm looking for an LP by someone on a game they know everything about. Preferably it would be 100% run, but more important than that is the fact that the player knows where all the easter eggs, glitches, and interesting things in the game are. I want to watch someone play a game they clearly love (not a game they're using gamefaqs to get full completion).

For example, I really enjoyed watching some MGS let's plays a few years ago. I can't remember who did them, but they were very popular on this forum.

Well I would start with Coolguy's Dark Messaih LP.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brassherald posted:

Wasn't there a run in this subforum of the game already that wasn't terrible? Or was that just a Sandcastle post from before I vanished into the night?

OatmealRaisin did a 100% run of DR1. Don't think there's been any thing about an lp of 2 except some talk in the request thread.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Red Dragon posted:

Is there a DO IT TO IT lp running at the moment? If not what was the last one they did?

No and Jade Empire partially.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sinking Ship posted:

So over the past couple weeks I've read Lt. Danger's Neverwinter Nights 2 LP and Scorchy's SW:KotOR2 LP, both informative SSLPs inclusive of a lot of cut content that I didn't see when I played the games myself, so I'm wondering if there are more like those?

Also that Dangan Ronpa thread has me on a bit of an anime LP kick, so if there's any decent VN style LPs floating around those are cool too.

There is, of course, Seorin's Tsukihime lp. There's also the Princess Maker 2 lp, but it's up and down in quality.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pickwick posted:

This makes me wonder: are there any other LPs where the speaker is drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

I think the Worm's Armageddon lp had a lot of drinking involved, but its been a while. The Mario Party lp definitely had a lot of drinking involved.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hebbe posted:

Can anyone recommend me a Fallout 2 VLP, I already tried to search the forum but I didn't find any results. Preferably an informative and non-blind LP.

Thanks in advance!

Well it ain't all that informative, but there is one in the archive. It's pretty funny, but actually knowing the game would probably help. The only other ones are abandoned and require archives. I can't attest to their quality.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gothy McAngstydie posted:

So I am looking for some "chill" LP's to watch when I am home from work and want to relax, perhaps smoke a weed. Can anyone recommend me some video LP's that work along these lines? psymonkey's LP of Kirby's Dream Course is perhaps my favorite to perform this activity with, but he has not LP'd in some time and I am looking for some new material! Okay great thanks.

Suspicious Dish's lp of De Blob is pretty drat chill.
For more soothing kind of lp, try Bobbin Threadbare's Thief lps.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

unpronounceable posted:

On a random note, his was the only LP I've watched where I've wondered whether it was live or post commentary.

In Olive Branch's Need for Speed lp, I asked which he was doing, cause it all sounded like post commentary. I literally couldn't tell he was doing it live until he said so in one of his later videos.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

nonconsensualninja posted:

Does anybody have the link for the full LP archive? Unless it was a fever dream, there are several LPs not on the front page, but hidden somewhere attached, and I'd really like to look through a few again.

Do you mean the master list? Cause that's in the op.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Do you have a preference of video or screenshot?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also have a request for something that may be slightly unusual.

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist? Not something like Diablo 2 or Divine Divinity where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story at all.

Well, there was Eien no Filena which was a jrpg, extremely odd, and very very japanese. Its unique to say the least.

VVVV: :smug:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 19, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ClemenSalad posted:

I was wondering if anyone knew an good Fallout: New Vegas LP I could watch (as complete as possible, ie most quests done). The ones on youtube are all dudes fumbling around with their inventory for 150 ten minute videos at low quality or one guy just blasting away all the quest characters.

The only one is the Tipping 40's video lp of it. Several others have tried to do FNV, but they've all been poo poo narrative lps.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Law posted:

I remember watching the first video not too long ago of some horror let's play a couple of guys were doing. It featured two girls, a camera and ghosts. It looked pretty interesting but it's either disappeared or I'm just blind. Anyone know which one I'm talking about?

The game is Fatal Frame. Either 1 or 2, I don't know having not played them myself.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SWMadness posted:

So I just finished re-reading the Icewind Dale 2 LP in the archive, and I want to find other good narrative-driven humorous screen-shot LPs like that to kill time in between classes. Got any recommendations?

Well, there is the ongoing Old Republic lp. Its more of a general good read because of how the 4 people who are playing handle it. You've got Lamadar and Poptartsninja who are pretty snarky and funny, then you've got Moon Slayer and Catsworth who are running it a bit more straight but no less entertaining.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Turtlicious posted:

Any good Mount & Blade: Warband Lp's going around? Couldn't find anything in the LP Archive

There have been none that I'm aware of, outside one really terrible attempt. The game lends itself to a narrative lp, but not much else.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Plan of Action posted:

Are there any games with good characterization where the LPer mainly analyzes the story, characters, etc?

Well, Brainweasel did a terrific job with Final Fantasy X-2.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BgRdMchne posted:

Every game that Habermann has played is loving awful. He's currently lping Legendary. He's done Rogue Warrior, Shellshock 2, and Tunnel Rats in the past. I think all of these are in the Archive.

He's also doing You are Empty, a russian horror shooter, right now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531455

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

^^^^^^^

Proteus4994 posted:

1) DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR THREAD OR A THREAD THAT YOU'RE A PART OF (ie. guest commentating)!

You might wanna edit that post or something.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also question, is there some stigmata against using Youtube as a video host? I mean they seem to be the most lax and most accessible host but I still see people not using them.

I'm pretty sure it's actually the most used host. People use alternate hosts to allow for high quality or downloading. There is also polsy which just is just a different viewer for the various hosts.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Coolguye posted:

Gamerstube looked promising for a while, then the owner came by and basically made a huge rear end of himself in a thread here, so that's out too. Actually I just tried connecting to the site while typing this post and got a connection error, so it might just be gone.

I was able to use it as a source download while doing bioshock 1, but one of my friends had some hosting that I could use so I've since switched to that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Herr Tog posted:

I need a video lp I can read while laying down for bed. thank you

Assuming you just mean a pretty chill video lp, Bobbin Threadbare's Thief lp is always a classic. It's the one I've recommended the most for good reason.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lizard Wizard posted:

Having watched a smattering of 19Letterslong's Digimon World videos and started reading the new Falsebound Kingdom and Digimon World 3 threads, I have a slightly nebulous request: got any good LPs that concern monsters fighting and such?

Monsters fighting? Well you've got digimon world by OFS (He smashes it over the knee in an awesome way), Digimon world 2 by KariOhki (less knee breakage but still fun), Monster Ranchers 1 and 2 by Mr. Swoon (Pretty funny though might get a bit samey after a while). These are just the ones I've read, though there are more I think.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sundowner posted:

So far as I can tell there have been no X-COM (old or new) LPs? Not SSLP or VLP. Is there a reason or has there really just been no one to create one?

Where on earth are you looking?

Guavamoment's done 4 of the things. UFO Defense, TFFD, Apocolypse and Interceptor. Those are just the ones I remember, but they have been done plenty of times.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sundowner posted:

Woops. I was using the archive but I forgot to try X-COM instead of just XCOM. I even typed X-COM in my post, silly me. Thanks for the links!

You don't need to search the exact phrase. You can just type in x or com or something.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lilli posted:

Im always a little fuzzy on what constitutes a 4X, but does Grey Hunter's Distant Worlds LP fit the bill?

Any strategy game in which you eXplore the unknown area around your starting location, eXpand by building cities or colonizing planets, eXploit by capturing resources on the map such as luxuries in Civ, and eXterminate any other players or ai in the game. Galactic Civ is one, but Captain Fargle is doing a pretty comprehensive Civ5 game over here.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Powerfrog posted:

Well my internet is being too flaky to watch videos or play games and rather than accept my fate and go outside I've decided to pre-load screenshot LPs to read whenever I get a second of internet.

Can anyone recommend really excellent SS LPs?

Moon Slayer's lp of The Old Republic is pretty great and going strong. If you start now you should be able to catch up in a month or so. :v:

Oh, and Dolash's lp of Sims Medieval. One of the best reads on the forums.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 21, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gushing Granny posted:

I'm looking for a good Let's Play of the Silent Hill games, since I missed out on them and don't think I'll have the chance to play them for the foreseeable future. I'd prefer video. Thanks in advance.

Niggurath has done 2, 3, 4.

Voidburger has done 1, Origins, and Shattered Memories.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

Well Brainamp did a pretty good, straight forward LP of Fable 1:

It's not complete mostly cause I got burned out from life stuff about halfway through. I'm definitely going back to it, just not right now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jygallax posted:

I guess it doesn't even have to be a sim or strategy game, just anything that involves finding out how to do crazy things that the devs didn't expect anyone to do.

Just a Friend smashed Spyros 2 and 3 over his knee with a lot of glitches, in-depth knowhow, and good humor. Plus Sinatrapod went in blind as a co-commentator, which made a lot of the episodes twice as magical.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Chuu posted:

Are any goons doing one and I just missed it?

Pretty sure it hasn't been 3 months yet, so no.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ledsen posted:

I've got a pretty good handle on current threads and I've also got an ongoing list of LPs I might watch someday, but what I'd really like is to put together a good long list of the very best video LPs this forum has seen, just to get a good sense of what I've missed. Is there such a list that I've missed, or would this be the best thread to ask you guys what your favorite video LP's of all time are?

This thread will be all you get. Given that what you're asking for is based on opinions, a list would be way too drat long.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

skoolmunkee posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but as a girl I am curious whether there are any good LPs in the archive or currently running, by girls?

Voidburger, and Panzer Skank are girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

gatz posted:

I think what we can all take away from this discussion is that there should be more good narrative LPs. Too bad they're so hard to do right.

You got archives? Cause I still have this one in my bookmarks. Dolash is pretty good at the whole writing thing.

• Locked thread