Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'll second No One Lives Forever by Vexation. I always considered that a difficult game to LP, but he's doing well. He's clearly practiced each level a couple of times before recording, so he can get through the levels (at least so far)pretty well by sneaking in one unbroken run, which is impressive considering how I have to to the quickload tango a lot in that game.

Subtitle commentary is a good idea, and better yet, he's mostly staying in character and writing in first-person, which is very rare for LP's.

@@@

I'll also point out Medieval II: Total War - A Scotsman in Egypt and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, both by Jerusalem, and both are done with so much incredible work put into them.

Both threads are filled with just tons and tons of narrative, and it's all done really well. If you're thinking of making a narrative thread - and even if you're not, those threads are must reads.

I know they inspired me to go the extra mile.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 31, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
so ya lets play half=life: 2 by Cybershell Honestly, my first impression of this LP was that it was going to be a one-off gag thread, where Cybershell was doing everything an LP author should NOT do: He confused the game he was playing with another one, he used a camera to take pictures instead of a screenshot program - including some pictues that were obscured because of the flash, he didn't know how to play the game or why ie kept dying... If he had left it at the single update I would have voted 1 and moved on, but he actually played through the entire game that way, so that's why it got a five instead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to recommend Mastiff's Haunting Ground LP, because the first-person narrative is done really well, it feels right.

Chewbot is batting 1000 with Plague and Treachery on the Oregon Trail. Wildly creative, Chewbot has taken a game that many people are familiar with and reinvented it completely, just like he did with Animal Crossing.

Roar's LP of Ecoquest is good not just becaue it's an absurd and obscure game, but Roar's commentary realy makes the absurdity shine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Let's Play: Arcanum by seroin.

This is an amazing opus, an epic tale told in first-person. I'm not sure how much of it was fake and how much is real, but it's all perfectly well done, there's never a dull or out-of-character update, and seronin posts plenty of "Behind the Scenes" content and additional books as bonus content. This may be one of the best narrative LP's ever made.

Let's Play Monkey Island 1
Let's Play Monkey Island 2

Both of these games have been LP'ed by Clavius, and the games are funny, but the bonus content he's added has blended seamlessly with the actual game, and it's quite impressive the effort he's put into the LP.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 15, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Proteus4994 posted:

No, no problems. I just really don't want this to be the thread where everyone talks about how great their own thread is. I don't see any real issues recommending one of your LPs if you made one that fits a particular style that someone is looking for.

I do reserve the right to change my mind on this if people start being douches about it, though. :colbert:

In that case, as soon as I saw this post by fcn:

Fcn posted:

Can someone reccomend a VLP for me? I like seeing people suffer, be it because they're awful at a game or the game is unrelentingly hard. I get a sick satisfaction from watching people fail miserably at video games over and over again. The Daikatana was perfect for this, but I can't find any more.

I thought of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. It's one of my co-LP's (with Next Tangent), which is the only reason I didn't mention it earlier.

The LP contains a lot of suffering through a game that's unrelentingly hard. There are two sets of videos for the game (Two LP's for the price of one - one subtitled, one voiced), and we die or fail over 100 times each (with visible death counts). It sounds like what Fcn is looking for.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mesothelioma posted:

How about very funny LPs ?

Well, there are plenty of funny games that have been LP'ed, but for cases where the LP itself is funny beyond the way the game is, here are some suggestions:

I followed Nakar's Ultima 4, 5 and 6 LP's and they are extremely funny. But you may want to skip right to 5 because they take a while to get going, but once they do, it's hilarious.
Also see his LP of Ultima 7 (and Part 2).

Fallout 2 by Breetai. He plays Fallout 2 to completion with a low int character. It's excellent.

Half-Life by Cybershell. It started out as a parody of everything not to do when making an LP, but he kept going and made his unusual gimmick work

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just read the Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star 2 LP's by Thuryl.

They're really fantastic first-person narratives (and in the case of 2, it includes updates done from the perspective of all the party members). The writing is really well done, and it helps to flesh out the game world.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

Anything like BorangeFury's Fallout LP? (keeping in mind that I absolutely hated the Arcanum LP for trying to do something similar with a lot less talent)

If that was in response to me, then I think it is pretty similar in style to the the Fallout 1 LP. But I did also like the Arcanum LP, flawed as it was, so your mileage may vary.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Feinne's Soul Nomad LP.

Seriously, drat. The story alone is good enough to recommend this, I'm only on Chapter 33, and the twists have blown me away.

But what Feinne has done with it is excellent. Feinne's written the LP in the style of a series of journal entries written by the hero character and Gig, the nasty character soul-fused with the hero at the start of the game. The banter adds a lot of character to an already great LP.

Feinne also goes into depth with the game mechanics, and most of the game is accompanied by videos, some of which have excellent voice acting that shouldn't be missed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to recommend I sacrificed my buffalo wings for a Diviner! Riviera: The Promised Land. by Didja Redo.

Didja Redo is adding extra dialogue and fake screenshots to his LP of the game, and they're both incredibly funny. It's a treat reading it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm looking for screenshot LP's which are funny and use image manipulation and LP'er-added dialogue in a way that makes it unclear which is from the game and which was created by the LP'er.

I know that the Riviera LP does it. As does mine. But other than those?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I will try archiving it, but if it missing too many images or some updates, then it can't be archived.

Page 3 is really missing a lot, like all of them. :sigh: And this is the only one recommended in this style which I haven't already read.

If the images stay missing, you could try contacting the author to see if they still have those.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good point and click adventure game LPs? Any format is fine.

Bobbin Threadbare.

Quest for Glory 1-5 (Screenshot, doctored content)
Dragonsphere (Video, requires Archive access)
Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion (Video, ongoing)

blakout posted:

I just finished reading through Pesmerga's amazing VTM Bloodlines LP in the archives, and I was wondering if there were any other "In Character" LPs that I should check out.

The Arcanum LP was recommended, and I second that recommendation.

If you like the Arcanum one, there is a long-running (70+ chapters) "In Character" LP of Divine Divinity currently going on, in a style similar to that of the Arcanum LP.complete with doctored images, although opinions are mixed about whether it's good or not, so I'm mostly including that link for the sake of completeness.

If you don't like the Arcanum one, odds are you won't like that one, either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I will recommend Feinne's Persona 4 LP. It's a huge game, and at some point, you'd think he'd need a break. But he has done. 92 updates in 91 days. NINETY-TWO updates in NINETY-ONE days.

It's not just a straight transcription, either. He's also creating a bit of a narrative with the main character. Even if there's a slow stretch where not a lot is happening in the game, the pace of updating makes up for it.

Dectilon posted:

Hobo by Design and Tfish are currently LP:ing Fear Effect 2. They are some of the chillest, funniest people around these parts. The game itself is a strange shooter/puzzler in a cyberpunk setting. They aren't too far in yet so it'd be easy to catch up.

I second this recommendation. It's got pretty good commentary over a surprisingly interesting game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tombot posted:

Its ok, just look it up on youtube.

Or better yet, someone look it up on youtube and PM Baldurk with a link so he can fix it in the LP Archive.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Dark Id just finished a great job with Chrono Cross, and he did the entire game, all the endings and parts of the alternate early paths in only a few months.

He changed Serge from a faux-silent protagonist into a fully talking, wise-cracking one, and it worked really well, especially with the additional dialogue he gave the other characters in the game. It was quite an enjoyable read, even for someone like me who never played either Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

LordMune posted:

Yeah, they did. Vimeo will delete everything LP-related if/when they find it (unless there's been a complete 180 in policy).

They haven't been on a seek and destroy, though. There are still videos for the Suidoken 2 LP up there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Aculard posted:

Does anyone have some good LP's where the posters started to make their own story or twists along it? I guess I would be asking if there was something more along the lines of "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" where it was really well written and seemed plausible without inserting lots of random sexual humour or poorly wrriten fanfiction. I already tried to read the Riveria one that was just finished a while ago but eeeh...That just went into the creepy fanfiction section once the updates were almost completely composed of the poster's sprite edits.

I'm not completely sure what you consider "poorly wrritten fanfiction", or what you're looking for.

If it's a serious narrative you're interested in, Arcanum or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas might do.

If it's added comedy content, you might want to check out Ultima 4, 5, 6 and Ultima 7 (Part 1) and Ultima 7 (Part 2).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'll recommend Set Sail on the Sea of Stars! Let's Play Infinite Space!.

Not only does the game itself have an interesting plot that subverts a lot of the expected JRPG cliches, but TyrantSabre is adding some additional hilarious (and occasionally creepy-in-a-good-way things to the updates.

Proteus4994 posted:

Frankly, I just assume everyone uses ? to read SSLPs.

That sounds crazy to me. In my own thread alone, I can only handle about four updates before it takes forever to load. Fourty updates a page? Not a chance. I'm more likely to use the trick below to show single posts:

Link to a post on the middle of a page:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453793&pagenumber=1#post398391615

Link to a single post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398391615#398391615

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'd like to recommend idonotlikepeas LP of Police Quest 1 and 2. He's just finished Police Quest 2. It's done in a really fun fourth-wall breaking style of narration, which has Sonny and the narrator and sometimes even the mouse cursor interacting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm using Squall at all times I refer to him in the LP.

Super. But since I've never played the game before, I'll be spending a bunch more time than I'd like - and by that I mean any time at all - trying to decide if the other characters in the conversation really were pausing or if there was supposed to be an actual name in there.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 3, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Spintzel posted:

Anyway, I just got around to reading Mr. Swoon's latest Monster Rancher LP and I really enjoyed the storyline he adds onto the game. I've already read the obvious Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon LPs, but are there any other great LPs that add more to the game without becoming extremely creepy or basically a fan-fiction?

I guess you mean extra dialogue, faked screenshots, that kind of thing.

Should the extra dialogue just be snarky throw-away lines, or are you interested in narrative LP's with a more serious style?

I second the recommendations for Gazillionaire Deluxe and Riviera: The Promised Land

ddegenha's ongoing Secret of Mana 2 LP has a lot of really great, sharp added dialogue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

LordIronHat posted:

Recently, I have been reading/watching old lps of games that have a focus on storytelling. I loved reading The Dark Id's LPs of Drakengard and NieR, as well as Boatmurdured. I guess what I am looking for is LPs that involve very interesting storytelling (either from the game itself or from the LPer). Anything like that that I might not have seen yet?

I'm sure these have been recommended before, but seroin's narrative LP of Arcanum is really good, as is Jerusalem's LP of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Both of those have some solid storytelling including faked screenshots to help sell the story.

Didja Redo's LP of Gazillonaire Deluxe also has a great story that he made out of what is essentially an XP spreadsheet space trading game.

And how can I forget the epic Planescape: Torment LP by Shadow Catboy?

If Warcraft is your thing (and even if it isn't), Azzur's drawings and hilarious characters have made the Warcraft 1 LP a real treasure. He almost finished Warcraft II in the same way, but it's on hiatus until the summer, unfortunately.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to recommend DarkHamsterlord's LP of Radiant Historia. He's doing a good job, showing everything off, going for full completion, showing all the bad endings, and putting in links to the music and doing videos for the boss fights.

But the real reason I'm recommending it is because the story and characters are very well-written, even the antagonists. Every major character (except Protea) is well-fleshed out with motivations that feel real, and as the story unfolds, the way events change people also feels real. That includes Stocke, the protagonist. Unlike most JRPG protagonists, he's clearly a thinking man, and there's not a trace of angst to be found, nor is he a naive optimist who thinks friendship can save the day.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Pickwick posted:

Hey,

I'm looking for an LP by someone on a game they know everything about. Preferably it would be 100% run, but more important than that is the fact that the player knows where all the easter eggs, glitches, and interesting things in the game are. I want to watch someone play a game they clearly love (not a game they're using gamefaqs to get full completion).

That's kinda vague, you didn't say what genres of games or types of LP you're looking for, not even if you want video over screenshot (or either one). A lot of LP's these days go into 100% completion depth (almost anything by The Dark Id, for example).

One that comes to mind for me is Knights of the Old Republic II by Scorchy. He doesn't just go into depth about all the existing game content, he shows off all the content that was CUT from the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to recommend Avalon Code by Didja Redo.

By all accounts the game is pretty terrible. The combat is lackluster, the bosses too easy, the dungeons exercises in tedium. It's a shallow game that had a really interesting concept at its heart.

Didja Redo saw the potential of what the game could have been, and he is sculpting a wonderful narrative story from its strands. He took a mute, constantly smiling generic and voiceless character and made him someone we can care about. A boy full of hope and fear, nobility and flaws. It's a truly remarkable read.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'd like to recommend a group LP done right: Tales of Eternia.

It's a group LP with 4 people playing at once, and the production is top-notch. They're all audible and entertaining, and they don't talk over the voiced cutscenes much. The editing is great, they're cutting out or skipping over most of the random battles, minigames and backtracking, and they're even adding in little things in post like a map of the Forest of Temptation.

It's a high effort job, and on top of that, they're going to try and show off everything, all the little hidden secrets and scenes. More group LP's should have this level of quality and editing.

I also have a request for something that may be slightly unusual.

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist? Not something like Diablo 2 or Divine Divinity where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story at all.

All that I can think of are the Atelier series and Reccetear, but surely there must be more out there that have been LP'ed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 19, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I'd argue that the game is anything but "story-driven"

The whole thing is way too boring, please do not watch it.

Yeah, I remember opening that thread, reading the warning you helpfully posted to shoo out everyone, and deciding that it probably wasn't for me.

Related, I have heard about the Final Fantasy X-2 LP, but I'm waiting for the The Dark Id to finish the FFX thread first.

I haven't gotten around to reading Jeanne D'Arc yet, so I can take a look at that one. (I sure hope that the next LP you're doing doesn't have "Hyper" in the title.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Hey Feinne you've done those Disgaea games. Don't they feature a powerful anime girl as the protagonist, predominantly?

Kinda? I've read all those, but from the way the story focuses on Laharl in 1 and Mao in 3, I wouldn't say that the anime girl characters are the leads. The exception is Disgaea 2, where the male and female leads are equally important. Those are all great LP's, though.

quote:

I was going to recommend Mass Effect if someone had played with the female Shepard, but no one has, apparently. That's weird.

I'm reasonably certain that FFX-2 does not absolutely require FFX knowledge to understand it, but I can't remember. A good candidate, though.

I haven't gotten around to playing ME2 yet, so maybe it's different, but the effect of your gender choice in first Mass Effect was pretty minimal.

You may be right on FFX-2, but from some of the discussion in the FFX thread, it sounds like it to take place after the end of FFX, so I'll hold off on it.

(I've also read Eternal Poison, but I could re-read Phantasy Star, though.)

I'm not all that familiar with the Metroid games, I've only played Prime 1 and half of Metroid Prime 2, but with the exception of Other M, aren't they action games with a silent protagonist?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SWMadness posted:

So I just finished re-reading the Icewind Dale 2 LP in the archive, and I want to find other good narrative-driven humorous screen-shot LPs like that to kill time in between classes. Got any recommendations?

I did a search of the LP archive using those three tags. I definitely recommend that top three on that list. :v:

More specifically, though, anything by Nakar or Didja Redo, really. Didja Redo just finished a fantastic LP of Avalon Code, but that was more dramatic than funny. Well-written, though.

I recall Jerusalem's GTA: San Andreas LP to be pretty funny a lot of the time, although it also strays into drama quite a few times as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

tentril posted:

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing was really cool to read, because it was a new way to experience a game I have played. Are there any other LPs of games where they make their own story and it's good? Also recommending that everyone read this LP if they haven't.

I'll recommend GTA: San Andreas by Jerusalem, he created a coherent, interesting narrative from that sandbox game, even working every activity for 100% completion into the story as well.

The Deadly Hume also made a story-based LP of Sim City 3000 work well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I might have already recommended this, but I once again have to recommend Sydin's LP of Tales of the Abyss. Not only does the game have some astonishingly mature, complex, deep, and moving writing, but Sydin also has contributed a lot of insights and analysis of the game's story.

Not all of that is linked into the OP, but it's well worth reading the entire thread so you don't miss out on the discussions.

Oh, and of course, Sydin is also doing all the obscure sidequests and minigames that seem almost impossible to find without a guide.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 19, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Galick posted:

So, random request - are there any good full narrative LPs? Just got finished reading Mega's Legend of Mana one in the archive, and I've been reading the hell out of Magical Diary: Horse Hall. Any others around that are great? I've already read all the Fallout ones before those are recommended.

VVV Should've clarified: I've also read all of Didja's LPs too.

I know of a few.

Planescape: Torment by Shadow Catboy. Shadow Catboy covers a lot of the content of this game and weaves it into a great first-person narrative. Dramatic with some funny moments.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas by Jerusalem. This is a 100% completion LP and it' s very clever how he manages to justify all the things he does. Funny with a few dramatic moments.

Arcanum by seroin. Another first-person narrative, which adds a backstory on top for the main character and integrates it into the game, complete with fake screenshots. Lots of angst.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 17, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lunethex posted:

I too like obscure games. Speaking of SSLPs I'm looking for good ones that involve the user either writing something up for the whole LP (like Gazillionaire, off the top of my head) or something long and interesting overall mixed up with their commentary through characters. If it's any help I also read through all of KOTOR2 a while back so that helps narrow it down.

Do you mean narrative LP's in general, or do you specifically mean to creating whole scenes from content that doesn't even exist in the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lunethex posted:

This mostly. I like when people add in their touch the game when it wouldn't normally be there.

I believe it was said you did this with Divine Divinity.

That is correct. I used fake screenshots to add a lot of scenes that didn't exist in the game.

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for, I second Fat Samurai's recommendation of Didja Redo's other LP's, as well as Jerusalem's LP of GTA: San Andreas.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'll add Tales of Eternia to the recommended LP list. They don't talk through voiced dialogue, it's very slickly edited (random encounters are skipped and cut out unless they're of special interest), and a lot of extra touches are added to the videos, like a map showing the progress through a maze-like dungeon has been overlayed on the game footage. Very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

nine-gear crow posted:

Done.

Dirge of Cerbeus: Final Fantasy VII by TheDarkId - The Final Fantasy series hits its stupidest, and TheDarkId hits it right back, taking the piss out what has to be the worst video game Square has ever produced in a hilarious semi-narrative SSLP. I'm already loving this poo poo.

I'm glad you used the term semi-narrative, because I was wondering if semi-narrative is a distinct category or not. Semi-narrative SSLP's tend to be mostly played straight and informative, but have a framing story, or add in commentary by in-universe characters which basically stays separate from on-screen events. An example is Tales of Graces (by wdarkk)

To me that's a bit different than full narrative LP's, where there is a great deal of additional content and is woven into on-screen events a lot. But the distinction is not always clear.

GTA: San Andreas by Jerusalem is a rather remarkable LP which tries, and for the most part, succeeds, in smoothly creating a narrative blending story and side events into this 100% completion run of the sandbox game.

• Locked thread