Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GWBBQ posted:

I don't care how confident you are, turn off the circuit before messing with wiring.

poo poo, I open breakers before changing light bulbs, sometimes. I loving hate getting zapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

nwiniwn posted:

I've heard Nest's learning feature is really more of a gimmick than anything else. I have two cats at home, so when I am away I would still like to have a minimum/maximum temperature setting for heat/AC to kick on, depending on the season.

Nest has adjustable upper and lower temperature caps that it won’t exceed even in eco mode. The learning mode might seem like a gimmick to someone that works a 9-5, but for someone on an unpredictable, non M-F schedule, it’s amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I wanna build something like this:

I’m not familiar with how beefy Omaha steaks coolers are. I thought they shipped in styrofoam?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Glass table tops are almost without exception tempered glass. While still fragile, they’re a hell of a lot sturdier than most people assume they are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does it have a popcorn ceiling? That poo poo holds odors like carpet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Comedy option, since it's not your house: bamboo :getin:

You’re a monster.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Shark bit valves are super easy to replace.

Shark Bite fittings are literally magic. The first time I used one I triple checked the shutoff valve and ran water to make sure it was actually pressurized. I couldn’t believe how easy they are to use.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s worth noting that a lot of newer (mine is a Rheem) air handlers actually put an automotive-style blade fuse on the low-voltage DC thermostat wiring. It saved my rear end when I was swapping thermostats and tried to make the magic blue smoke come out.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Requesting video of the dog getting his vole murder boner on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The drywall anchors supplied with the Vive lighthouses are utter loving trash. Don’t feel bad if they didn’t work out for you.

This type is faaaar superior, though they do bad things to walls when you take them out. (Measure thrice, cut/drill once.) You dont have to predrill, just run them into the wall, and then run the screws in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sherwin Williams was having a 30% off sale recently so I splurged on their Emerald line. My painter mentioned that it was the best stuff he’s ever used, and shaved a bunch of money off the estimate since he didn’t have to do nearly as much work.

Also, looking now, they’re having a 35% off sale.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spagghentleman posted:

We are renovating our kitchen and our new faucet is one of those fancy pull down spray rinse types. Our on-tap Brita filter will not fit this, and my wife likes having on-demand “filtered” water as our municipal water is pretty... tasty.

Is there a decent non-super-expensive filter I can install inline the cold water supply underneath the sink? I would go to Culligans in town but I’m scared they’re just gonna try to sell me some monthly fee based crap.

The filter itself is easy, there are innumerable inline filters you can install to do that. The problem is delivery; If you plumb the filter into the main sink supply, you’ll be changing filters every month because ALL the water you use for dishes, washing hands, etc etc will be filtered. It’s far better to get something like this:

They can be installed on just about any sink you can cut a hole in, or in the hole for the soap dispenser, and generally come with a PEX T fitting and barbs for a filter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Almost certainly remove the paneling and see how bad the damage is behind that. Paneling on drywall is basically a best-possible-environment for mold.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LED lighting is hilarious. It makes standard household wiring RIDICULOUS overkill.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PremiumSupport posted:

I quite like the Philips Hue color LED smart lights. They're easy to set up and program and they are very good at imitating natural light. They are a bit costly, around $100 for a single room starter kit, but once you have the controller you can easily add bulbs for less than $40 per light.

Hues are pretty good, but entirely too expensive. That said, they’re on sale for Black Friday right now. Color bulbs are $39.99, and packs of 4 white bulbs are the same price.

It’s a bit more reasonable at those prices.

The new version of their software is trash, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Franklin Brass 662318 24-Inch Replacement Towel Bar Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NOQ4PW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YuprCbWTNRHN1

Cut to fit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryrobots posted:

The spring loaded ends are available separately, but inexplicably only in packs of 10.

And that is the story of how I ended up with 8 spring loaded towel rod ends in a drawer somewhere.

Home ownership is 10% pride, 10% maintenance, and 80% remembering where the extra bits, bobs, screws, washers, and doo-dads you picked up at Home Depot and didn’t return are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

moron izzard posted:

Is there an affordable fob system for doors that isn't just arduino diy poo poo? We're looking to add member unlockable entryways to a new makerspace I'm working on (with an access list we can easily add or remove from). The one at our current makerspace was made by an old member, undocumented, no code available, and I'm afraid of the time when it eventually fails.

I have these on my house. I use a custom smartapp on SmartThings to manage user codes which makes it easy, but with patience you CAN do it directly from the keypad. It stores something like 250 pin codes natively, but with SmartThings (or ZigBee I’d imagine,) you can use all ~130,000 permutations of six digit codes, plus four and five digit codes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s absolutely possible, though it can take awhile to get the last bits out of the imperfections in the brick.

You should also have the previous owners put on a list for using gloss black on brick. I can only imagine how bad that looks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

B. The walls are horsehair plaster

Hope you like scraping wallpaper.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I use an old VCR magnet wrapped in a soft rag with a ziptie keeping the rag on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But for the love of god, even if your vanity is flush to the floor, tile underneath the loving thing.

Signed,

Someone whose PO didn’t do that.

:suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kid sinister posted:

Hire a locksmith.

Seconding. With access to the back of the door, changing the lock out should be pretty simple, and relatively inexpensive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jaded Burnout posted:

They do powered ones which seem fairly manoeuvrable.

Pneumatic nibblers are really cool, but it would depend on how fine “fine shapes” is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eddiewalker posted:

Not telling you to go beyond your comfort zone, but I think a non-contact “idiot stick” is worth having for anyone who even thinks about unscrewing a faceplate.

Wave it around a live outlet to make sure the tester beeps, then wave it around the circuit you’re trying to work on to ensure it *doesnt* beep.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Non-contact-Tester-with-Screw-driver-NCS-8904R/206177753

Mmhmmm. Never touch a circuit with anything other than a plug until you've hit it with a voltage tester.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B-Nasty posted:

Best stud finder is a pack of strong, wafer-shaped neodymium magnets. As a bonus, they'll stick there on the wall on the nail/screw while you make your measurements/cuts. About $10 for a pack of 6 on Amazon.

Bonus points for wrapping them in a (or a couple) microfiber cloths, and ziptieing them in there. It is thus stored on the wall above your toolbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B-Nasty posted:

Sediment/minerals that fall out of the water tend to collect at the bottom of the tank. Flushing from the bottom hose bib helps to get some of this crap out.

No matter what, tank water heaters are 10-15 year devices. Some people act like old water heaters are a badge of honor, but it's pretty stupid to risk thousands of dollars of water damage for a $600 tank that has lived a useful life.

*glances nervously at his water heater’s 1984 inspection sticker*

My excuse is that its in the garage which slopes out, and the whole house is concrete block on poured concrete, anyway.

:effort: