Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

The lead on the red wire going to the 35uf compressor capacitor blew to pieces last week. The lug on the capacitor was all hosed up and leaking oil and the female disconnect on the wire was charred and just dangling loose. The fan still ran and it wasn't blowing any fuses, so I optimistically figured that the connector was just old and corroded and that's what caused the problem. I put a new terminal on the wire and installed a new capacitor and now the fan doesn't turn and the control box that houses the delay timer and relay makes an angry 60Hz buzzing noise. The wiring inside the control box looks to be intact.

Is it most likely a seized compressor or is there some possibility of a quick fix that I am overlooking?

If it is a seized compressor, I'm just going to replace the whole heat exchanger. Can the heat exchanger outside the house be replaced independent of the blower and whatnot inside the house? I would assume so, but I want to be somewhat informed in case the salesmen/service guy tries to upsell me on a new furnace or blower.
I dunno why the condenser fan world have quit, like you say the cap is for the compressor. Check the wiring, make sure everything is getting the correct supply voltage. If you have a meter that can measure microfarads, make sure the new cap is good too.

The condenser can be replaced independently, but your indoor air handler is r22, and I understand replacement units are hard to come by, as that refrigerant has been phased out in favor of r410a. The installer will likely recommend replacing both units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Kilersquirrel posted:

I do have the dog and cat on topspot treatments, but there are just too many ticks out there to be alright with just the treatment. Plus, I realistically can't go out in my yard for any extended amount of time without having to do a thorough tick check on myself afterwards now. They look like deer ticks too(black legs and no white markings of any kind on the back), which means Lyme disease is a concern as well.
My wife (vet tech) was telling me about a new product coming on the market for dogs next month called Bravecto. It's an oral chewable, kills fleas and multiple species of ticks (including deer ticks), and works for 12 weeks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Zhentar posted:

Mosquito trap efficacy varies significantly depending on particular circumstances. They'll certainly appear to be working, with piles of mosquito corpses, but they aren't always effective at reducing mosquito populations (and in some cases, they'll end up attracting more mosquitoes to bite you than you started with).
This is why placement of the trap is the most important part. Also, make sure any standing water is eliminated or treated so you're not generating more of the things.

The mosquito population last year was completely unbearable, and there was a large population of Asian Tiger mozzies which are terrible terrible critters. I bought a mosquito magnet, which took a bit to make a dent in the population but did definitely help. It came with Ocetenol attractant which worked great, but per the manufacturers recommendation for my area I switched to the Lurex 3, which was not nearly as effective. YMMV

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Designers like gently caress up by using colors that quickly become dated, though. Saw a brand new reno on HGTV with lavender sinks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Install two three way switches, so there's no way to accidentally hit the wrong one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sleepytime posted:

I'm looking for advice on frozen pipes. I have a pole barn that's on well water and whenever it gets below 10 degrees outside, the water stops working. My house is on city water and we haven't had issues with this, but it's too far to easily get water from the house to the barn.

We have the pump itself in an enclosure that we just insulated and added a space heater to this winter. I feel this made a slight improvement but we hit sub zero temps for a few days and the water stopped. We have a spigot (with a handle that lifts up to start the flow) that we use to fill water for the animals. We've tried using heated tape on the spigot before but this did not help either.

Right now, the handle on the spigot only lifts about halfway. We tried thawing the handle itself with a blow-dryer but to no avail. My concern is that the line between the pump and the spigot is freezing underground, or whatever point above the frost line where it connects to the spigot.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? We are considering buying a small water heater to provide some kind of reservoir to get us through cold snaps like this. We might not be able to get water to the heater while the pipes are frozen but we're hoping it would have enough storage to get us through until the pipes thaw.

Unfortunately, if the water is freezing below ground, or your (supposed to be) frost-free hydrant isn't installed deeply enough, the only real solution is to rent a trencher (or pay someone) and install it deeper.

I find it strange that you can't get the handle up, even with heat tape on it. I've had issues where the line itself was deep enough not to freeze, but the handle itself got moisture all over it and frozen...but the heat tape should really eliminate that. It must be frozen down at the valve.

And yeah, your option of a larger stock tank is basically what we use to ride out bad weather/cold snaps/power outages. If you've got power at the barn, stick a heater or de-icer in there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kid sinister posted:

First you need to find out if the entire thing is already grounded to neutral. That bracket that the socket is mounted to looks funny. Is the entire socket connected via metal to the neutral screw? On regular Edison bulb sockets, the outside screw ring is connected to neutral. What kind of bulbs does that thing take?

Also, figure out some sort of cord clamp or relief.

GWBBQ posted:

That looks like a bayonet-style base for the bulb, so it's grounded through neutral. Use a polarized plug and make sure it's wired with the hot to the smaller prong and neutral to the larger one.Also, you absolutely need strain relief and a grommet where the cord comes through the housing.

armorer posted:

Thanks - I fixed it up yesterday and it actually had a three conductor cable originally, so I just rewired it the way it had originally been wired (ground to the housing).

Whydoihavevoltageonmyground.txt

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

armorer posted:

No but really, neutral wasn't tied to the case, ground was. The cord on it was just not grounded and was quite a mess. I tested multiple possibilities with a multimeter. It was also kind of obvious when I saw a vestigial disconnected wire tied to the case though.

Good deal, you have it covered!

Edit - just to be sure, you toned/ohmed out that neutral wasn't also connected via the bulbholder? If you ohm out between the neutral and ground on the prongs of your new plug, there should be zero connection

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 16, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't try working on my only source of residential heat in the winter for the first time without someone to help who knows what's up.

Yeah I agree, and in addition, there is the very real risk of fire even if you do know what you're doing.... Usually in a confined space you can't easily back away from.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a guide out there for doing concrete in a small pond? Looking to follow the curvature of the existing pond and it's not straight edges. I know I'm going to need support wiring and all, but I'm not finding a good guide on how to made concrete on curved surfaces. There's basically no way to do this with forms.

Do you live somewhere that gets a real winter? Because if so you'll have to engineer for frost heave, which basically means a lot of extra digging.

Also I'm seeing quite a few step-by-step articles and videos on concrete pond building that I'm sure you saw too... If you're asking how to slap concrete over the existing pond as-is, I just don't know how well that's going to hold up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I have these big 8' long flourescent lights in my garage. One bulb is burned out, and another is buzzing. I don't really want to replace them because I have to put an 8' long lightbulb in my car. And I don't even know how to throw the old ones out. Just break them?

It seems like a lot of spend to replace everything with reasonably sized fixtures. Any thoughts on using LED bulbs in these existing ones? Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM773T6/

Don't break them, they're under pressure and it makes a huge mess. Find a dumpster.

I like the LED tube replacements, and they're a lot cheaper on eBay. Just realize you'll have to rewire the fixtures, to take the ballast out of the circuit and put straight 120v across the pins of the light.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Whatever your local version of this is:

https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/Click-Metal-Clad-13-Amp-Switched-Fused-Connection-Unit-with-Neon.htm

Replaces your current socket, then you wire the new hood directly into it, there's a punch-out for the cable to come right out the face.

What is this :supaburn: dang Brits!

Do you have to put fused switches on all hardwired devices or something? There's really no exact comparison to this in the states, closest would be a fused disconnect switch which is very unnecessary in this case (and probably illegal to install inside a cabinet).

I'll let one of the resident electricians answer the actual question... My NEC knowledge gets fuzzy with residential installations and I'm not sure what's proper as regards having exposed Romex inside that cabinet...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Uh, kind of yeah, why wouldn't you want each individual appliance fused at its fault current Vs hoping the house wiring takes the load before the breaker trips?

No I get it, that's just not used here. Being at the mercy of the small gauge wire inside a device has crossed my mind, but generally speaking, our methodology of protecting circuits to the wire size seems to work pretty well.

...That being said, everything is moving to AFCI so.... :haw:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do NOT just find a dumpster. Fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous waste. Call your local/county waste department or whatever private company hauls your trash and ask them how to dispose of them.

Oh yeah, you're right some states are very strict so watch that. At my local recycling center, they go in bulk waste (which on the handling end is all treated as HHW, apparently), or at least that's how I was directed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lever nuts are pretty cool, but I've never had an issue with stranded wire in connections.

If it's a mix, I twist the solids together, twist strandeds together, then put both under the nut. If it's a light fixture with that tiny stranded wire, I wrap that little bastard near the end of the conductor(s) so it catches in the tip of the wire nut, good and tight.

The important thing in any situation is to use a wire nut that's appropriately sized for the number of conductors being connected. Don't force a too-small wire nut on and twist it till it bulges.... That's a good way to end up with a split wire nut and a short that's a pain the the rear end to find.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Maybe they did some repairs and thought it was fixed? Basements develop leaks way more often than they tend to stay dry.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mr.belowaverage posted:

Hmm. If this was conventional timber framing or a newer house, I'd agree, but this masonry/jamb system is 128 years old with only slight deflection. I'm not sure that degree of restructuring is necessary in this case. I do know my way around structural repair and framing, but I am not a structural engineer so I could still be underestimating this problem.

Taking another run at it today, the door itself may have a slight warp which is complicating things. I believe it will straighten in time once I have it properly installed.

I'm going to remove it and take some better pictures tomorrow with a long level or straightedge to see if anyone can provide more feedback or advice.

In the picture of the left side, is the masonry missing or cracked away under the header extension? It looks like it, and if so the weight that the header is bearing is not being distributed as intended, causing the trimmer studs to bow.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mr.belowaverage posted:

Header and head jamb under some inner brick wythe settling. This is a structural double-brick masonry wall. Most of the load is carried by the brick in this system, not the header. Exterior wythe is unsettled and solid.

Proposed fix:

I think if I jack the header from beneath just a small amount, and insert some solid wood shim between it and the side jamb/jack stud it should level out. Needs maybe max 1/2" lift.Cracks in the brickwork from settling should absorb the movement. Or crack more and start falling out. Then I guess it's mason and steel lintel time!

The masonry is structural yes, but the purpose of the header is to distribute the load that would go into the gaping opening of the door, onto the brick on either side. It appears that the contact area of the header (on both sides but especially the left) has suffered cracking and missing masonry which someone, or many someones have attempted to shim up and mortar over the top of. I'm not a mason, but I would guess that the header was never big enough, and/or improperly tied into or supported by the masonry. (Edit- possibly the opening was enlarged at a later date to accommodate a taller door).

If I understand your attempted fix diagram correctly, you intend to shim between the header and the trimmer board which is not intended to support point load in that manner, and will bow even more than it is already.

It may be possible to properly support the existing header and tie it into the brick wall permanently, but I don't think that's a project to do based on internet advice (not from me anyhow). I would have someone look at that before it turns into a bigger problem.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 19, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have a mighty mule gate opener that is "push to open" due to how my yard slopes. Picture shows how the opener attaches to my gate. I've only opened/closed the gate maybe 10-20 times and noticed this today. The red arrow on the silver metal shows the direction of pull when the gate is closing. The smaller red arrows show where the muffler clamps are sliding down the tube gate.

Trying to determine what to do/what combination of things to do:

1. Tighten muffler clamps more (to some degree of more that doesn't collapse the hollow tube).
2. Loctite the muffler clamp nuts.
3. Some sort of rubber between clamp and gate tube to provide friction and hopefully a better clamping job. (what would I even buy for this?)
4. Some magical other solution presented by a smarter goon than I.

Does the bar part of the muffler clamp have teeth? If not, if you're able to cut a few notches in with a grinder, that would help. Also yeah tighten the poo poo out of it. I don't think loctite will help - I doubt the nuts are loosening here, I would imagine they have "lockwasher" style teeth on their friction surface right?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone ever make a concrete countertop? Can you use conventional sealer for granite, or does it have to be concrete specific? I know you can't use the stuff that's meant for outdoor patio.

We used Behr stain/sealer for concrete, and then went over that with a concrete countertop wax.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No poo poo. A concrete countertop is kind of like having a pet.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Then what's the point? I thought it was supposed to be some kind of economical alternative to granite.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting custom cut granite my man. Same care routine, but can also be repaired infinitely if damaged.

devicenull posted:

We poured epoxy on top so we didn't have to wet-sand everything.

My wife said she considered this, but building forms on the sides to keep the epoxy from dripping seemed intimidating. How'd you deal with that?

She also mentioned that the epoxy is pretty easy to damage with heat, any issue there with it?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 4, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What if you have the air gap, but mr. mouse crawls up the pipe between there and the PRV?

"Ah, but everyone tests their PRV monthly, which is why we need the air gap to verify PRV function" you'll say

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you (turn off the power first) pull out the outlet and find it has a circuit feeding off the "load" terminals - first take that loose, reinstall, turn the power on and see if it will reset.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

The air gap is supposed to be after a straight section of pipe with no threads on the end. Anything stuck in there is likely to blow right out.

You could say the same thing about a water heater against an exterior wall, where the drain goes directly outside with a short section of pipe. So far as I can tell, the air gap requirement exists because inspectors don't like to walk. :v:

Even better than all of this, is having a thermal expansion tank installed properly, even if it isn't a closed system. That way, a lot of poo poo has to fail before the PRV would have to kick in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I think like 150 is the residential norm?

Ask me about the time my pressure reducing valve failed so the house was attempting to run at about 250 or higher, which led to the expansion tank failing and becoming basically nothing, and the PRV leaking for a while, which kept our water pressure at a steady 150, before I realized it was not actually just going lovely but was in fact doing a fantastic job of keeping things from exploding. I mean showers were awesome, but yikes, I should have been more aware.

Actually don't ask, I'd just as soon leave that one buried.

Jfc your street pressure is 250psi? You need like...an auto shut off valve triggered by a pressure sensor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had some shingles blow off in a thunderstorm and cause an immediate leak, so I called a roofer to schedule having the roof done before I even called insurance (first house, I didn't know). When the adjuster came out, the old roof was already off, but I did have some pictures of the missing tabs. They cut me a check on the spot.

Another house, years later, I made the mistake of not inspecting the roof after a hailstorm, then changed insurance companies. Had a leak, so I called a roofer and they informed me of hail damage. I actually knew the date of the storm because I had tires delivered via UPS and they were stuck in my driveway waiting for the storm to pass, so I was able to remember that and look up the date. Had to call my old insurance company, because they were covering me at the time of the damage. The adjuster claimed there was no hail claim here, only footfall damage. .... Right

I didn't fight it, just had minimal repairs done and waited. Hurricane Matthew came along a few months later and finished it off, and I got a metal roof put on for about $500 out of pocket after insurance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I want to replace my range hood because it's a useless Kenmore POS and barely moves air, but at least it's very loud so you can tell it's on. It's a ducted hood, and checking the outside it looks like the vent cover predates the range hood itself by at least 20 years. Can I therefore assume that the ducts for these things are more or less standard and that if I get another ducted hood to replace it with I probably won't have to go cutting any brick to accommodate a different duct form?

"More or less" is about as much as you can expect, from the two I've changed out. Also expect that the old hood will have been attached badly, in a way that is very leaky. I used the foil-backed HVAC duct tape on the exterior to seal everything up nice and tight.

If I ever do this again (or build my own house), I'm going full commercial style with a rooftop mounted fan.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is the closest to "DIY Chat" as threads go so I wanted to pass along that Lowe's is doing 10% off for all Lowe's cardholders, today and tomorrow.

There's also some promotional thing in appliances where some stuff is 30% off. We're in the middle of remodeling my wife's old house to put on the market, so I'm probably about to spend on some major $$ purchases for the project.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 30, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If you've been disposing of drippings for 6 months, ya don't have a lot of argument. Suck it up and don't put grease down the drain in the future.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shame Boner posted:

I can only venture a guess. For me at my current place, the drain line was drat near horizontal and wasn't supported well. When the drain line became heavy with clog material, it sagged a little between supports, exacerbating the problem.

Same, but like 40' I had to cut out. Not what I wanted to deal with only a few weeks after moving in. Or ever.

:nms:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Drywall screws are not PremiumSupport. I would use wood screws of an appropriate length and head size. Make sure they are either fully threaded, or the shank is no longer than the drywall depth so the threads can catch all the wood they can.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PremiumSupport posted:

Maybe you missed it, but there is no drywall, the OP say's it's been cut away. OP has ~2 inches of wood that is being screwed straight into, and normally I agree a proper screw should be sought out. In this case however any course-thread screws with an inch of thread in the wood will be overkill given the total 45lb weight load.

Testy testy! Drywall screws are not for hanging anything but drywall - they're made of brittle steel that will snap if shock loaded. Ask anyone who actually hangs drywall how many they wring off. Anyhow I stand by the point that I was making. Ensure that the fastener used is fully threaded.

OP I know you were asking about using (I think) a concrete anchor and lag bolts through the whole thing and that's probably sturdy but not really how that was designed to be used?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Make sure to get a utility locate!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

JFC I'm itching just from reading that

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

I just bought a house about 2 months ago and already I've had to change at least 8 lightbulbs, but all different. The previous owners had the correct watt bulbs from what I can tell and I've been replacing them with the correct bulbs. I've started keeping track of when I change them to see how long they last. At this point I'm thinking it can't be a coincidence that this many bulbs are burning out right after we bought the house. Could there be something wrong with the wiring or circuit breaker? Any suggestions on how to test this on my own without calling an electrician?

I would definitely check voltage first, it could be too high or too low. Or it could just be coincidence... Generally speaking light bulbs are far more tolerant of bad voltage than anything with a circuit board.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Unsure on:
* drawer vs french door freezer. We both hate drawer freezers but I can't tell if I'm going to hate the french door freezer more.

I thought "French door' usually meant one with the two upper doors, and the freezer drawer below? You mean "French door" vs "side by side" maybe?

Although it looks like Samsung and Haier have a French door configuration now with 4 doors. I definitely would prefer this to a freezer drawer I think. Seems like it would be the same thing as a side by side but with less space though?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are you self-installing or have you received a sales pitch from a third-party installer?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

*From what I've heard personally from people in the southeast* you have to take their (the salesman pitching this) payback projections with a huge grain of salt. We've also seen a lot of shady business practices, like companies changing their name yearly, and the "3 year warranty" evaporating. Also realize that the future of the economics of how utilities buy back energy is subject to change, while your loan payment will stay the same.

Currently most utilities buy back solar at the same rate they sell kwh at, because it's still a marginal enough amount that they can absorb the loss, and it's good PR. But "buy high and sell high" is not tenable forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's not a "newer" thing, the 24v transformer has (edit: should have) a fuse protecting it. Sometimes it keeps the transformer alive in the event of a fault, sometimes it doesn't.