Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MeKeV posted:

The problem I've got is I'm limited to 2.5m from ground to the highest point over all, and a door I've been eyeing up is 2075mm high plus about 30mm for a sill which doesnt leave me a great deal of space for floor and roof structure.

My idea is rather than the cumulative depth of Header+Top/wall plate+roof joists is to dual purpose the header as a roof joist;

Edit: I was thinking best to avoid hanging off the lintel, but maybe I should just switch it round and fix the joists to the header.

Edit 2: I think I'm going with this kind of thing.

If anyone is interested in having a look at my sketchup model to see if I've made any glaring errors, let me know. Though note it is in millimetres.....

The last one is the best option, but run all your ceiling joists all the way out your cantilevered roof section like you have the two end joists shown. If you want a solid wall there, add blocking between the joists. Much simpler and stronger construction. Running some 2x6 (or whatever your joists are) blocking perpendicular to the joists in the bays between them every few feet-this keeps the joists from tipping over and ties them all together. To attach the metal roof, either deck the roof with plywood and fasten to that, preferably into the joists, or run battens (I think purlin is actually the term) perpendicular to the joists and screw the roof to that. Since the wall isn't really load-bearing and it's just a shed, you shouldn't need a header over the door. A header's job is to transfer the weight above it around the door opening and back down the studs framing the door-you have no weight above the door, so you don't really need one.You may want to add some perpendicular blocking on the wall with the door if you can to stiffen it up a bit, but plywood sheathing should do that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MeKeV posted:

Will running the ceiling joists right through not be too much weight on the opening (4' 5") with just the double top plate over the door (2x4s)? Or does tying all the roof deck members together spread the load out enough.
I am not at all a structural engineer-I just have a decent bit of framing experience-so I can't give you the actual right answer, but I think you'd be fine. "No weight' like I said is obviously an exaggeration, but you don't have a second story above it or much of a roof load compared to a real house. Do you live somewhere with lots of snow or strong winds? With rafters at 16" on center and blocking between them above the top plate, and especially sheathing on top, I really can't see if failing with an evenly distributed load. If you have heavy snow and were really worried about it, you could put a large piece (3"x3"x 3/16" or something) of structural angle iron on the top plate over the door and a foot past it either direction and through bolt it to the top plate, but I think that would be tremendous overkill.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Poplars are good but don't really spread much and tend to grow straight up. If you're in the delta or other good rich bottomland soil, both elms and hackberries grow very fast and produce a wide, spreading shape, and have nice yellow fall color. You will also have a happier, healthier tree that will grow faster if you wait to plant it until winter-our hot wet summers and dry falls are the most stressful times to plant a tree, and it isn't going to do much growing this year anyway. When you plant, make sure you cut some of the roots around the outside of the container and break up the rootball and dig a big wide hole.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Ah the extension service! How did I not think of that? (I went to MSU)

I needed to find a sheep for a commercial shoot one day and they got me someone in like 5 minutes. They're awesome.
If you really have any interest in gardening or plants or just being amused in Mississippi or the rest of the Deep South, Felder Rushing's show on MPB 'The gestalt gardener' which is available as a podcast is incredible. Some of the most lovely and backward Mississippi accents getting good gardening advice and sharing stories.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

wesleywillis posted:

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Anyone got a suggestion? I can just look at amazon reviews or whatever, but I was hoping (lazy) someone could say " check this book out, its the poo poo".
A deck is a very simple thing but framed a bit differently from a normal house floor because it is built on posts instead of piers/slab/foundation. Any of those books you mentioned will probably tell you basically what you need to know. If you just want to know how to build/frame stuff in general Audel's has a book on carpentry/construction that will tell you what you need to know. The US Forest Service published a great book in the 50s that tells you how to frame etc, and it may be available free online, but I can't find the name of it. Because occasionally badly built decks collapse and kill people, they've become more regulated lately so you should check with your local building inspection dept. on what local codes might be.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thirding real Sherwin Williams, not the Sherwin Williams you get at Lowe’s. I would power wash the whole house before painting if you haven’t already done so-getting all the dust and dirt and grime off really helps with adhesion.

You don’t need to prime the entire house, but do spot prime any areas where bare wood is showing with actual primer. Primer is really good at sticking to whatever is below it and making a good surface for paint to stick to, but it’s not that great at resisting the elements. Paint is really good at resisting the elements and not so incredible at sticking to things. It’s always seemed to me that one product trying to do both those things is going to involve some compromises.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Foam backer rod (or even that black foam you insulate pipes with cut to the right width so you don't have to buy 100' roll of backer rod) and Loxon caulk from Sherwin Williams is made for basically exactly this.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cement doesn’t stick to itself very well and can be especially difficult and crack prone when it’s put on in a thin layer. The quickrete technical people are very helpful in my experience-you might call them to ask for a product recommendation. You definitely need to make sure the top of old stoop is clean, and I’d even rough it up some by knocking some chips out with a chisel and hammer to expose some aggregate for the new cement to bond to mechanically. They also make concrete bonding adhesive you paint on the old concrete first that might help.

And make sure you don’t build the concrete up so high you can’t open the door.

Keeping the water off the stoop and away from the door in the first place with an awning or overhang or something overhead might be a better long-term solution but also potentially much more complicated depending on your roof etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

They probably have small 2’x2’ pieces of 1/4” MDF or plywood that would work about as well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s very possible the joist was cracked when the house was built. If you sister a 2x8 over it with wood glue or construction adhesive it’ll be fine. A bunch of nails is probably as strong or stronger than through bolting it, so just do whichever is easier or both.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

That's what we did, but only after we realized there was a plume of cement dust wafting over the fence for the third day in a row. It's upsetting to my 3 year old that he can't play outside, it's upsetting to us because he's huffing cement dust. Day 1 it was sorta just "crazy neighbor is doing something over there let's go inside it's nearly bath time anyways." The next day it was "I should really figure out what the hell he's doing to make sure that isn't like lead paint he's grinding or something." There's doing a quick project, and there is being inconsiderate to the kid you can hear chattering away and running around next door.
I mean cement dust definitely isn’t great for you, especially for long term exposure, but I don’t think your kid playing outside 30 feet away for a few hours a day for a couple days is going to really hurt them unless they have crazy asthma or something. If you’re super worried, get him a dust mask to color like a superhero mask and all the sudden it will be fun.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FogHelmut posted:

I should build a 4'x4' kid's playhouse to residential building code, correct?
It’s not really an occupied structure, and if you build it on those concrete foundation pyramid pier things (or just on cinderblocks or whatever) in many jurisdictions that’s not considered a permanent structure and you don’t have to worry about setbacks to the property line or any code or whatever. If you just want to build it to code for the fun of it, there’s nothing wrong with that either.

If it is has power or water, you should probably do those to code if you can.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If a painter leaves some big sheets of OSB (used to cover the windows when he took the panes away to be painted) in your garage for two years, is it OK to just consider them yours?
Unless it is like a huge pile, I can about guarantee he never wants to see them again and has forgotten all about them. I’m sure legally they may still be his, but you already paid for them when he did the job and it’s like $12/sheet anyway.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone with a mig welder can fix that permanently in 5 minutes for $10. Look for a muffler shop or any metal fabrication shop. Epoxy miiiiight work but I’d just get it fixed right once so it doesn’t break again and cause your wife to hate you even more.

E:fb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

If you've had luck with WD40, imagine how much more you'd have if you picked up a can of penetrating oil.
My machinist buddy uses a homemade mix of equal parts automatic transmission fluid and acetone and it works amazingly well, especially if you can soak the part.

Apparently other people know about this too:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/oppositelock.kinja.com/make-your-own-kick-rear end-penetrating-oil-1739690558/amp

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

What kind of drill? Do I need an impact driver or a hammer drill or something else all together?
Just a plain, corded, 1/2” chuck drill. If you already have a cordless drill that will probably work too, but more slowly. DeWalt makes a corded one for $99 that’s fine. Be very careful with big drills and big bits-if the bit catches and binds, the drill is powerful enough to break a hand (speaking from experience!) or throw you off balance at the top of a ladder.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW235...ps%2C165&sr=8-4

Strong enough to break your hand, and made in the US. They're pretty good for $99.

E: nm you're in the UK so I dunno what's available there. Makita makes good corded drills too

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Guyver posted:

Yeah I figured that the motor was bad I was just hoping. Oh well a new motor is half what a good shape used washer is so unless I can find one cheap looks like this washer's getting stacked on the parts pile in the back yard.

Gave my dad a call about it and he suggested adding a capacitor since it turns but won't start.
It is probably a capacitor problem since the motor will run if you get it going. The capacitor on single phase ac induction motors is basically there to get it spinning and spinning in the right direction, so it seems likely that that’s the issue, but I am far from a being a qualified electrician.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Whichever way you go, if you are doing any color matching, make sure you get color corrected bulbs. I know they’re available in fluorescent tubes, and I assume so in LED too. They are full spectrum and show colors much more accurately/closer to daylight than most bulbs do, and it can make a huge difference in how a color appears.

On the money side, you can get a whoooole lot of replacement t8 bulbs for the price of a new LED fixture-I’d probably wait until the ballast in the fluorescent fixture died and then replace the whole fixture with an LED fixture designed for LEDs instead of trying to shoehorn LEDs into a fluorescent fixture for all the reasons listed above. Doesn’t hurt that LEDs in three years are going to be even more exponentially better than they were three years ago.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Curiosity posted:

Quick question... if I turn off my window unit ac does it close off airflow from outside?
It doesn’t bring in air from the outside anyway. It takes the air from inside and removes some heat from it and dumps that heat outside and shoots the cooler air back into the room because it is much more efficient to chill 72 degree air to 70 degrees than it is to try and chill 90 degree air to 70 degrees.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Drilling brick or mortar or even concrete block with a plain non-hammer drill and a good masonry bit isn't usually hard. If it's old soft brick, it's even easier. Drilling into old, hard, high PSI concrete without a hammer drill can be about impossible, however.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ripoff posted:

Hi kids, I'm trying to build a deck without killing myself and my few friends that I have! My deck design is a simple free-standing 24' x 12' rectangle with cantilevered joists and cantilevered beams, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to butt the 24' rim joist section to the deck as my 12' joists end smack-dab in the center of where a railing post will be. So, I thought the better idea would be to butt the joists at 8' intervals (having 3 separate 2 x 10" boards showing on the rim joist) rather than have the rim joist butt right over where the center railing post would be.

I know I'm going to use a quantity of 3 2" x 10" x 8' pieces for the rim joist, I'm just not sure what the best way to go about attaching them is. As the deck design is cantilevered and free-standing, the beams are taking the brunt of the weight and the rim joist (from my limited understanding of architectural physics) is really there to ensure that the joists remain torsionally solid. On the DIY forums I've seen, they've been remarkably unhelpful by saying "just sister the rim joists and stagger your deck" but that would look dumb as hell on a 24' x 12' rectangular deck, so I'm going with one of the two other solutions they suggested. The blue thatched drawing is what I would be adding to secure the butted rim joists.

If the butt joints are right over a post that goes straight down into the ground, maaaaaybe straddling the joint with a short 2x10 would be okay. A long board straddling the butt gives much more stiffness than a short one, but if the butt is directly supported it might be okay. The best/safest way is definitely to double the rim joist and overlap the butts completely. It would be stronger to have 2 16' boards and 2 8' boards instead of 6 8'ers.

How high off the ground is this deck? If its more than 2' or so, I would check with your local building inspection authority and see if you need a permit and get them to look at the drawings. They can answer this question better for your local situation than strangers on the internet.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Mm. In the UK anything more than 30cm needs planning permission.

Looking it up, it appears in the US (and local codes obviously vary) you don't need a permit if it is less than 30" above grade, doesn't attach to the house, and isn't outside the primary exit of the house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

melon cat posted:

Just painstakingly cut some wood down to size, glue it in, and "start over"?
This basically. This kind of patch is called a dutchman, and it's very common in this exact circumstance for these exact reason. Cut out a piece of wood a little bigger than the are you want to patch (If you make the ends of the wood angled it will hide better, but doesn't really matter if you are puttying and painting it). Stick the patch up there, trace around it, use a chisel/drill/router to cut out everything so the dutchman fits. Glue in with wood glue.

Drilling it out bigger and putting a dowel in like SpartanIvy suggested will work, but because of the grain directions it is not nearly as strong a repair as a properly installed dutchman.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Quick question:

I want to shore up my basement stairs with some 4x4's under the stringers. The stringers are obviously only 2x, so I thought I'd sister in another 2x onto it to give the 4x a good area to hold up. Does the sister'd 2x need to run the entire distance (to the ground) to be effective? Or will it be enough to glue and screw it for most of it's length.

My other thought was to half-lap the 4x and screw from the unlapped side, but I think my way would look better.

If you have the capability to half lap the 4x4's that will be stronger in every way than the other options. Sister 2x's on between the 4x's if you want, but really not necessary. Just stringers is actually plenty-stairs built on stringers are surprisingly strong because of leverage and stuff and don't need much support as long as the bottom and top can't move laterally. They are basically a wedge and as long as both ends are constrained they probably aren't going anywhere.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't know if there's a pest control thread hiding in Pet Island or something, but fleas have invaded one section only of my bathroom. They hang out between the toilet and the sink (I guess because that's where the bathmat is) and I have no idea where they are actually coming from. My house is old and half termite eaten so there are innumerable tiny places they could crawl through that I'll never seal up. I have no pets. There may have been something living in the crawlspace under the house, but I got under there yesterday and put up some hardware cloth and fixed the lattice in the area. I did not get swarmed by fleas while I was under the house, so I'm not sure that's even where they're coming from. I kill a bunch of them in the morning and then they respawn while I'm at work, kill a bunch when I get home, and then they respawn overnight. I've sprayed some deltamethrin around the perimeter of the room and any penetrations in the floor/wall, but they keep coming back.

This happened once a few years ago when I know some creature was living under there, but I can't remember what I did then. They may have gone away when the furry beast went away.

Any ideas? Have already considered borrowing a dog on flea meds for a few days as a trap for them. Flea bomb daily until all the little fuckers are dead?

I don't have the time to run a flea circus or I would consider giving them gainful employment instead of gassing them with extreme prejudice. Am willing to put them up for adoption to any interested parties who will come collect them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

I need a second desk for a PC downstairs, I'm thinking of doing the standard reddit thing of slapping an ikea countertop on some shelves or something.

Am I missing something here? Why is a veener/particleboard "countertop" that's shallower and 14 inches longer costing twice as much as a solid wood "tabletop"?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-tabletop-beech-50106773/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/karlby-countertop-walnut-veneer-70335212/

The veneered one is walnut, and while the materials do probably cost more than the beech, especially for what looks like very thick (1/8", 1/40" is standard veneer, 1/16" or 1/10" is normally considered very thick veneer) veneer, they can also just sell it for more because its ~walnut~ and walnut is hot right now and your wife/design blog/pinterest wants it. The manufacturing is also more involved for veneering something like that, but I think it's mostly that people are willing to pay more for a trending walnut thing.

melon cat posted:

Stairs question. I have these spiral stairs going up to our attic:

But they're slippery AF. And since they spiral it presents all sorts of hazards if you're not careful when walking downstairs. So I want to add some grippy material to them. I was planning on mixing these Polypropylene Non-Skid Beads (or some other slip resistant additive) to some polyurethane, then painting a rectangular 4-inch "strip" onto each step. But we do have pets so I'm looking at some safer, less toxic alternatives to polyurethane. Would shellac hold up to steady foot traffic?
Once it's fully cured (which may take a month or more) polyurethane is chemically inert IIRC. I wouldn't eat it everyday for breakfast and it turns into nasty stuff if it burns, but I wouldn't worry a ton about it since basically every house in the country with hardwood floors installed or refinished in the past 40 years has polyurethane on them. Water based poly is probably slightly more less bad? Shellac used to be the standard finish on hardwood floors, but it doesn't have near the durability of polyurethane and needs to be waxed regularly to keep what durability it does have. I don't think waxing is going to help your slippery stairs at all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yoruichi posted:

Hello. I was recently moving furniture back into a room with wooden floors after finishing some painting, and, as you do, was giving the wooden furniture a clean with some Pledge furniture polish. And I thought, huh, I scuffed up these floorboards a bit, I'll polish them too. So I Pledge'd the floorboards around where I was sitting. Thank god I stopped there, because this treatment has turned that corner of my lounge into an ice rink. The floorboards are now incredibly slippery; a literal deathtrap for anyone wearing socks. Help me SA, what should I do?
Naphtha or paint thinner/white spirits will definitely get the slippery silicone in the pledge up but it’s gonna stink. Mopping with soapy water might work but that silicone can be hard to get up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

me your dad posted:

These couple of comments are a relief so far. I was expecting to get told that I am hosed.

I bought some wood filler at Home Depot earlier today, figuring it might come in handy. Should I use that on the more-damaged areas prior to going over it with a pen or stain?

Wood filler is going to look like something bad happened and you tried to fix it and draw attention to the area. Color it in with a touch up pen or honestly magic marker (a hair too dark is always better than too light) and stand back and squint at it. You’re not trying to make it look new because those floors are definitely old, you just don’t want it to stand out.

Brown Old English furniture touch up polish/scratch remover may help if a touch up pen doesn’t work.

E: the yellowed/whitish areas are areas where the finish has wrinkled. If the touch up pen doesn’t seem to be doing much, you might scrape the loose wrinkled finish off lightly with a razor blade and using the touch up pen on the bare wood.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 13, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is a really great penetrating oil for loosening seized parts. Give it overnight if you can.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Charles posted:

If a deer munches a plant (Azalea) does it look like a scissor cut? Never seen deer in our neighborhood, trying to figure out who my midnight arborist is :P
If it's low down, it might be a rabbit, but deer do seem to make a reasonably clean cut? They usually just eat fresh tender new growth and buds. Deer around here don't like the evergreen indica azaleas but do like the deciduous ones for some reason.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

Rule of thumb for electric tankless hot water heaters is don't. If you have any other options explore them first. New panels are around $2000 from an electrician as I recall, plus you might need to replace the line to the pole (the power company will tell you.) then you start trying to wire the beast of a heater.

They're actually okay as point of use things for sinks, but for a whole house or shower I would definitely stay away. The gas ones are great though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s easier with a finish nailer, but if you’re decent at swinging a hammer and it’s just a door or two hand nailing is gonna be fine. Somehow trim got installed before the invention of pin nailers after all. It does help to go ahead and start the nails in the piece before you try and nail it to the wall so you’re not trying to hold the trim with your knee/forehead and grabbing a nail with one hand and hammering with the other.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This is for a shop space so cleaning mostly consists of vacuuming dust and shavings with the occasional wipeup of spilled stain or something. No need for sterilizing or anything.

The hospital flooring idea is a good one, I'll poke around that and see if there's any good options.

If you don't need to drive a car over it or anything, I use pieces of 3/4" or 7/16" OSB over painted concrete in my shop, mostly just in areas where I do a lot of standing. It floats, not attached to the concrete, but some is sprung on 1x sleepers and it is extra cushioney. Fairly decent cushion on the feet even without the sleepers and if you drop something it's not hitting hard concrete. Decent grip too and cheap enough to just toss and replace if it gets trashed. Horse stall mats are another option-some are sort of modular. Not super cheap, but they are nigh indestructible.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

black.lion posted:

Neat, then that's what I'll do, thanks goons!

Just out of curiosity, wrt this:

...am I really going to be able to torch silver off of thin pewter? Seems like it'd just melt the whole thing? Hoping that I don't need any re-dos but just in case, the more you know etc.

You might ask about this in the metalworking thread because they are really smart in there and not just kind of guessing like all of us.

I think if you get it hot enough to solder, you’re going to have to basically repolish the entire thing and that’s a ton of work and hard to do if you don’t do it all day and have the right equipment.

E: the metalworking thread- https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&pagenumber=347#lastpost

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 19, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's the story on adding japan drier to oil paint? I've got to do some touching up on white oil paint that I would like dry by tomorrow, buy it's pretty wet here atm. Will the drier change the color and how much should I use? Will putting penetrol in slow the drying?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

With the right budget, anything is possible.

Something like a spiral staircase might be a less disruptive (though probably also less convenient) option.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Get a BOSCHHAMMER, op. Mine is awesome and drills big holes through solid concrete fast. I’m not sure why you need to drill 5/8” holes to hold a trellis (this is still for the catpoop apple tree project, right?) but do what makes you happy I guess. Smaller holes are much easier to drill and like a 1/4” anchor is going to be plenty strong enough to hold up some apple branches.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is the blade actually dropping or just the handwheel spinning? The blade should not drop and if it is I would follow up with the manufacturer. There are workarounds but if it’s a fairly new saw they should fix it. If it’s just the handwheel spinning, that’s annoying but tightening the screw that holds it on looks like it may help.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hed posted:

Bonus question:

What is the magic name I need to search for this metal with two holes? My previous owner liked to use them as fastener shims for his hand-built fence because he didn't believe in the "measure twice, cut once" school.

'mending plate' is the magic phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Also, swimming in a truly foul above ground pool is a rite of passage that every child should experience and learn to overcome.