Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:blush: I hope it's okay to solicit advice here here, but....

I want to make a rainbow scarf that has diagonal stripes in a basic garter stitch. The problem is whenever I switch to a different color there are noticeable, gaping holes between the stripes. pic Homemade pattern

Should I keep going and just close the holes by knotting them together afterwards? Or would it be easier to knit individual colors then sew them with a tapestry needle and extra yarn?

Also, has anyone ever tried knitting a scarf from the long side/horizontally? Apparently it can be done with circular needles, but I don't have any. I wonder if I can make some with dowels, string and a pencil sharpened :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thanks for all the advice guys! This is the second scarf ever that I'm trying to do, and it's a lot more complicated then basic blocks of color. I guess I'll start over and give it another shot.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

When a pattern tells you to "purl6 [yo, p2togetherp1] 4 times, p4" does that mean it carries over onto the next row? All my holes aren't lining up.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

I want to knit a sweater for myself, but I have a small waist and enormous boobs and I am not confident in my abilities to make something fitted. I don't want to wear a huge sack either.

I'll just knit for my super-skinny ex or my size-zero mother.

I am fairly confident is saying many kinds of boobs look awesome in this:

linky

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What's easier to knit socks with, DPNs or circulars? I tried out some DPNs but they kept slipping out or getting in the way or suddenly I'd end up with two needles working. :confused: If I use circulars, I'll still need some DPNs to do the heel, right?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Ok, not to derail the conversation about knitting in public, but this...

http://www.regretsy.com/2010/08/05/m-knit-shyamalan/

this is NOT OK. It is upsetting and I am upset!

Especially love the KKK hood on the bottom left there.

I don't get why you're upset. It's just a ski mask? :confused: And that's not a KKK hood, that is a sleeping cap. Ebenezer Scrooge wore one:

In fact, I see a bowler hat and a naval hat sailors wear. And I guess the grey one is a messed up pompom thing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CureMinorWounds posted:

I usually post in the crochet thread, but I've been practicing my knitting, so I have a question for you guys. How do you get the edges of your knitting to not look like poo poo? I've been trying to make a cabled headband, and the first time it curled up, and this time the edges just look like complete poo poo and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any wonderful videos or first hand knowledge you guys would like to share with me?

Avoid the stockinette stitch. It curls like a motherfucker and there's no way to avoid it since that's what it's suppose to do. Use the moss stitch for edges. http://www.ehow.com/how_2044332_knit-moss-stitch.html

To make the edges not look like poo poo, for the first edge stitch, knit [or purl], pull the yarn tight then knit as you usually do. Make sense?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

Pullovers, cardigans, gloves, felted belts, vests if you're a vest-wearing kind of man. There's lots of nice bags, like messenger bags and laptop sleeves. I love the toiletry bag pattern from the book Knitting With Balls, it looks so nice.

"Huh, messenger bags?"

*searches ravelry*

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ma_NiC posted:

Vampire Knits? I got a good laugh when I saw it in Borders. So did my mother-in-law, who was with me. I'm surprised there isn't a life-sized Edward pattern for desperate fangirls. Vampire penis cozy?

Actually this looks pretty cool:

Another thing to add to my to-do queue:

[By Ben Cuevas.]

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I just stabbed myself in the eye and was wondering if anyone here would trade four US size 7 DPns for a size whatever circular needle. I loving hate these thing :( They're metal, perfectly straight, the gold color not even worn at the tips at all. Anyone?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Open question, how do you hold your needles as you knit? I only learned how to do stitches from the internet and it occurs to me that I might be holding mine wrong.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:argh: left_unattended and Onionetta thanks a lot now I have more thing I want to make that I'll never get to because my To Make list is fifty pages long!!! :sigh: Oh, and that's not even getting into Xmas presents. I'm making an Eva scarf for my sister. She's getting this fancy silk and bamboo yarn from Patons.

It's not done and will hopefully spread out and flatten after blocking. The color is way darker, like a royal purple. I want to keep it for myself because it's so frickin' soft!!

BTW, for those who make socks, what's the best substitute for wool? My mom caught on that I can knit and now she wants pink socks for Xmas. I guess I better learn how, and fast.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Amykinz posted:

I had someone seriously bug me for a knitted sweater "just like this one". "this one" cost $80. I found a similar pattern, figured the yarn cost, figured the time it would take and "well, it's a skilled trade and I'll be providing my own tools so that's double minimum wage.. so that sweater will be $1675" That shut her up. My issue is a family member is pregnant and will be EXPECTING a blanket, and I frankly don't want to give her one. But if I don't there will be a huge uproar and somehow my mom will get dragged into it and OMG.

Tell them you've developed carpal tunnel, or are developing arthritis in the wrists, and you're laying off the knitting as a preventative measure. Surely offering to chip in a bit of money at a baby shower will distract them from demanding a blanket?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nione posted:

Hey knitting thread!

Has anyone knitted one of those giant pouf footstools before? ...

Never knitting a project that large before, but have you thought about using rope instead of yarn, and maybe dying that? I think that might be way less tearing-my-hair-out than knitting multiple yarns together.

You'll also need to figure out what to stuff it with if you haven't already. Regular plush toy stuffing won't really cut it. Maybe some foam?

For making sure it stays the right side out either mark it with knitting markers or use a stitch holding pin to pin it to itself. Kinda like folding up a scarf as you knit along.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Surprise T Rex posted:

I've actually picked up knitting over the weekend after my girlfriend taught me as a way to keep my hands busy so I don't bite my nails. I'm really enjoying it, which was kind of unexpected.

Just been to my local craft shop and bought a set of needles and some (pretty horrible looking) cheap yarn. The lady at the shop was really helpful, and kind of shocked that a 20-something student guy was even in the shop at all.

I've learned to cast on by knitting on, and knit (really unevenly), but I keep half dropping needles and having the yarn I'm working from get really loose or tight, because I've not got a proper grip on it. :( How am I meant to hold it?

Basically I prop up one needle that I'm transferring stitches by jamming it between my pants with my shirt tucked in so the needle doesn't actually slide down. Or I just lean it against something. Yeah I know it's weird.
How people usually do it is by sticking a needle into a stitch, holding both needles with their fingers while the yarn is being wrapped around before taking up the righthand needle and finishing the stitch.
At least, that's how I assume people do it. I never learned how to do it 'properly'. For tension just relax and wrap the yarn around the needle, don't pull on it constantly.

Also I do most of my knitting at home or in the back of a bus so yeah. Lastly these instructions are for right handed people. If you're southpaw I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

For those who make little toys, what are the smallest needle sizes you've worked with? I'm so tempted to get some size 0000 dpns for a herd of small jellyfishes. :allears: and I think I can justify buying them to make cute things for my new fox friend from nonesuch gardens. I have enough laceweight scraps for them and more, anyhow. No pics of it blocking but I've recently finished a very small blanket for the fox. Because clearly a stuffed toy needs a blanket ;) and a tiny vest, but I've recently tore it off the needles. I cant figure out the proper gauge. I might be knitting too loose and tight.

The fox in question.
A scarf for said fox from the same artist costs about 18 bucks alone. Its laceweight yarn, garter stitch, about a foot and a half. Deer lord.