Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Ozma posted:

I know, right?

I haven't looked at the site for a while (can't get it to load here at work) but I wonder if they'll ever put up the beatrix potter patterns again. I'm obsessed with peter rabbit and benjamin bunny. No, really.

But at the same time, I hope they never do for the reason wandering knitter just related. Just out of curiosity: who actually owns size 1 or 2 DPNS? I own straight needles, sure, but the thought of size 2 DPNs actually makes me panic a little.

A friend of mine bought me two sets of size 1s for me as a graduation/going away present. I still haven't gotten around to making anything with them, sadly. Maybe soon I'll make some fancy socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just bought some Plymouth Baby Alpaca Lace to make my mom this Celtic Knot Stole. I can't wait to start on it, it looks pretty fun. And since my mom and sister actually get dressed up occasionally, they should be able to wear it. Unlike me.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

In theory, you could graph out that pattern and turn it on its side... Or chart out a similar pattern with graph paper. It might not have the same drape, but it should make up about the same pattern. It would probably take some experimentation, but maybe you could give that a try?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'd make a narrow cuff, then increase when you move to the glove body to something big enough for his hand. Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem?

I have a chart for how many stitches you need per finger for hands about 7-10 inches around. I can type it up, if that would help. Gauge is about 26x48 for a 4" square.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Dr. Light posted:

Does anyone know of any good patterns for fingerless gloves? I'm talking about the type of glove where there are individual separations for the fingers, but they only go about halfway up the finger, not the open-ended fingerless mitts which are all I can find patterns for.

What I do is take a pattern for regular gloves, then only work the fingers up to about the first knuckle. Then work in ribbing up to how long you want your fingers to be. Bind off and boom, fingerless gloves!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I got a Knit Kit and a $30 gift certificate to the LYS. Pretty handy! Everyone seemed to appreciate my gifts to them as well, though I'm not sure if I ever want to bead something again after making two sets of Rani wristwarmers in as many weeks. It's not much compared to anyone else here, but I was so sick of making those by the third.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Amykinz posted:

I've never done colorwork in acrylic, so I don't know how that would work out, but I'm sure it's been done! I'd try to 'block' it out a bit just to even the stitches though.

When I've done intarsia before, I cut pieces off the ball for each color I was using at the time, about 2-3 feet long, and just let them hang out the back. Any time I tried bobbins or using the yarn off the balls or whatever I ended up with a tangled rear end mess, as you're constantly twisting different yarns together. With the long strands, I could just "comb" my fingers through to untangle every once in a while.

My friend is making a very intarsia-heavy sweater right now, and one thing she did was take an old soda carton (one of those long thin ones) and cut holes in it. Then she slipped the bobbins inside so the threads couldn't get that tangled. It seems to have worked pretty well.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

So I went to Finland and bought some yarn over Christmas. Now, two months later I'm taking a good look at it. It's completely unlabeled so all I really knew was that it was wool. After a couple months I decided to take a serious look at it. It looks like Istex Plötulopi in white, except there's more of it. I weighed it and got 157 g, which making some assumptive calculations gives me about 470 meters.

I was thinking of making it into a lacy shell or cardigan when I bought it, but now I'm not so sure the yarn would stand up. Does anyone have any ideas for patterns that would work with this yarn and fit within about 470 meters?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm making a striped blanket for my son, who is due this summer. For the first time, I'm carrying the yarn up the side of the blanket instead of cutting and having to weave in a million ends. My question is, what do I do with these balls of yarn? Anyone have a clever idea of how to keep them together but not tangled so I can take the project with me places and not be juggling four yarn balls? Should I just look for a drawstring bag or something?

edit: v v v That is a COOL idea! I wonder if it would mess with the center pull yarn though? I guess probably not, because I won't be actually pulling yarn while the ball is on the straight needle (or in my case I'd probably use a chopstick since I don't own straight needles...)

I may have mentioned this before and it's not totally portable, but my friend was able to turn one of those long, narrow soda boxes into a nice yarn holder with some scissors. Just put yarn inside the box, then cut little holes in the side and thread the yarn through them. Keeps all the bits nice and separate. I use a similar principle for an incredibly low-rent lazy kate.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Phishi posted:

Honestly I'm lucky to be in Seattle period. Thanks to the neighborhood-y layout of the city, it's filthy with yarn shops. FILTHY. I've got Seattle Yarn maybe a quarter mile away, Little Knits is under 2 miles, and then there's an LYS in just about every other major neighborhood. There's also some craft shops... somewhere... though typically for cheaper "workhorse" yarn type stuff I use Knit Picks. Churchmouse is also a short ferry ride away! Only thing that could possibly make this city better would be to transport Powell's from Portland to here.

The other great thing about Little Knits is that though it's mostly higher-end natural fibers, they have sales often enough that you can splurge on something nice a little more often if the budget is tight. Not long ago they were trying to get rid of a lot of sock yarn. I think I got $100 worth of wool for $30?

Ooh, you're in Seattle? I'm going there this weekend! Have any recommendations for people bumming around and relying on public transportation? I'm especially interested in spinning stuff, if you know stores that have good selections of roving.

Redmond recs also welcome, since technically my friend actually lives there. We'll just be hanging around Seattle most of the weekend.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Phishi posted:

As well you should! The east side is very... suburban-ey. Well, public transit is good here, so really you can get anywhere from downtown in a reasonable about of time. The hardest part will be bussing to/from Redmond.

You should come to West Seattle! It's not so famous, lots of families and stuff but it has it's own weird charm. Every now and again we try to secede from Seattle proper, though it hasn't happened since I've lived here. But really my recommendations are dependant on what you like. Are you a pub or bar-goer? Museum sort of person? Parks? Foodie? Coffee drinker? Although I guess two things you REALLY need to see that are free are the famous statues... There's one of a troll (it's even under a bridge!) and one of Lenin, both in Fremont. The Stranger is a great resource for finding cool places to eat, and shows and the like if you're into that. And just because this one is relatively little-known, the sci-fi museum is pretty sweet.

As for spinning stuff... I'm honestly not positive. I don't spin (lord knows I don't need another time/space consuming hobby right now!) so haven't paid much attention. Most of the Seattle yarn shops have decent web sites, though. Bad Woman Yarns (Wallingford), Weaving Works (U-District) and Little Knits (W Seattle) are my favorites, along with Churchmouse in Bainbridge Island if you're up for the adventure of a ferry ride.

I asked for recs and then never got back to the computer until I'm sitting in the airport waiting to go home. Turns out we had tons to do as it was. I did actually go to Churchmouse and Weaving Works, though! Churchmouse didn't have anything I really needed, but Weaving Works honestly convinced my friend to start spinning after holding out for over a year. I just picked up 50 bucks worth of fiber. (I got yaaaaaak. Just an ounce, but still! Still!)

Next I'll try to see more stuff, like the statues and the sci-fi museum, because those both sound great. Thanks a lot for typing that all up, even if I didn't get to see it until now.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I dislike feather and fan, but that's because I hate making it and it's absolutely everywhere. It's kind of annoying when you're looking for something different to do.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Here's a question: Does anyone here own an automatic ball winder? My crochet teacher has been drooling over the idea for ages, but hasn't worked up the nerve to drop $100ish (50-60ish with coupon) on one.

My LYS has one; it works pretty well. You really need a swift to use it with any efficiency, though. It's possible to do everything by hand, but you have to ratchet the speed way down. You have to do the same for handspun singles, and I feel that for handspun, at least, a manual one is a bit better. More control and you can ease up on tension better. On the other hand, it's really nice to keep both hands free when you're trying to wind something.

I'm not sure how much I'd use one at home. But I'm also easy walking distance of my LYS and they're really chill about letting me borrow theirs to wind whatever I need to. If you're further from a shop and have a lot of skeins it might be worth it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

FelicityGS posted:

If there's room, a little table with books and toys or something for kiddies because getting glared at for taking the whee ones with is just frustrating, especially when they are well-behaved and hands are all clean.

This is a good idea. My local yarn shop has an entire kiddie corner with low walls to help keep in the mess. Kids go in and play, adults get on with looking at yarn. It's really nice.

Also seconding having stuff from local spinners/dyers. If I'm visiting, I'm always more likely to pick up something local I have no chance of getting over the internet or at my LYS than something I can get anywhere. For locals, you can push supporting the local economy and maybe even have the creators come in sometimes.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

So I've got a bag (10 balls, pretty sure) of Mirasol Samp'a. I want to make a light top, but I can't find a good pattern. I'd like something summery, but without a low neckline and an easy way to add sleeves.

I'm starting to think this would be easier to just design on my own.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

My store was just 20% off the entire store, sale rack included. I only went to hang out with my friends for a few hours but then I walked away with a skein of Dream in Color's Smooshy Cashmere, four skeins of Claudia Handpaints fingering, and a set of KnitPicks metal sock needles.

Not sure how that happened.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I kinda like Darrowby and I even have some fleece it would work well with, except I've still got to get it processed and there's no way I have the patience to spin an entire sweater's worth of yarn on a spindle. So whatever man. (also with how the weather's been it might be too warm for my climate. loving global warming)

EDIT: "After that the project took on a daily rhythm. I would produce a 200-yard skein of 4-ply in an evening - weigh fiber for blending, then flick, card, spin, ply -- then wash and hang to set the twist overnight. " ...does having an actual carder and wheel speed things up that much, or is it just not having a crippling internet addiction? Because holy gently caress.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 12, 2012

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Normally I don't, but this is the first time she's ever asked for anything like that. I already warned her that it's probably going to be a birthday present at this rate. :ohdear:

Her birthday is mid-March. :ohdear:

I promised my mom a Celtic Knot Stole for Christmas...in 2010.

...I'm a little less than halfway done.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

left_unattended posted:

I don't like laceweight yarn. I hate winding it, and I don't like knitting with it. It's light and it's pretty, but I'm terrified of breaking it by pulling too hard and my tension is all over the place. I knit much looser, and more unevenly. And I make so. many. mistakes. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it likely to go away as I get more experience with laceweight? Lace patterns are fine as long as the yarn is heavier, and I don't seem to have problems with my tension.

I learned something interesting the other night! It's apparently called Navajo knitting, not because they used it (I don't think...) but because it's basically on-the-fly Navajo plying and then knitting with it. You make a slipknot and finger crochet a chain, then knit with it. It creates a tripled up yarn that's great for thickening up laceweight.

It might be something to look into if you like laceweight but want it to be a bit thicker.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

My card has expired since I last ordered anything from them. I can't remember if I had them save the card number or not, though. I guess it doesn't matter...?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Processing fleece is really nice right up until you start combing it by hand. Then it's a pain in the butt. (I still want to do it again)

Speaking of, Instant Jellyfish...I liked those samples you sent and if you have fleece for sale I would be interested. Just...letting you know.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Just finished a couple things.

A quick scarf out of some soft and thick handspun singles. It came out pretty well!

Socks! Started at Thanksgiving! I'm slow. Pattern is Elm from The Knitter's Book of Socks.

Also enjoy my messy, messy bed.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

If it's a simple enough pattern the only thing you have to worry about is boredom from how long a sweater takes to make. Attack with determination!

A raglan sweater is pretty easy and requires minimal sewing at the end. They're also fairly easy to customize to your measurements. I'd start there.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Uuuuggh. I'm making my own basic top with one design element: a cable panel that goes up the side and then crosses over to become part of a v-neck. I'm almost done and I realise that there's no way the cable is going to actually hit the v-neck and I missed the chance awhile back. I have to either have it randomly hit in the middle of a crew neck or rip out half of what I've done.

I'm probably going to rip it, but I'm going to sulk first.

EDIT: Back up to where I should split for the v-neck! ...now the cable is too far over. I need to rip back AGAIN. I think I'm going to go the lazy route of ripping back to where it should hit, then going straight instead of trying to fix the angle again. So frustrating.

At least once I get this sorted it should be a quick knit to the end.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2013

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

laertes22 posted:

I'm just starting out knitting, but I've been using knit cloths for years. The cotton ones I throw in the washer and dryer all the time, and have had no problems. Wool or acrylic, I'm not so sure.

Cotton doesn't felt, so it can go in the washing machine no problem. Same with any plant-based or synthetic fiber. Linen is actually improved by throwing it through the wash a few times, because linen gives no fucks.

The problem is with most animal fibers, especially wool. Wool, when subjected to heat changes and agitation, likes to become felt. This is good when you do it on purpose. Not so good when you do it accidentally. Different breeds of sheep have different felting tendencies, but generally softer means more easily feltable. I don't think mohair felts very well, but angora loves to. (but mohair can have other problems with the washing machine) Generally, just handwash anything you made out of something that came from an animal.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'm running out of yarn for a shawl I'm making. I handspun the yarn, so it's pretty much impossible to get more. I have a lifeline at the edging, but not at the repeat below it. My choices are thus:

1) Rip out to the repeat below where I started the edging, start the edging there, see if I have enough them. Likely leaves me with leftover yarn, but the entire shawl will match. Leaning toward this, even if the ripping out would be a nightmarish pain in the rear end.

2) Rip out the edging, make more yarn, pretend I meant that all along. I still have the roving I used for half the plies, so I can make more yarn that will roughly match, though it will go from multi-coloured and gray yarn to just plain gray.

3) Go until I run out of yarn, spin more and just switch in the middle of the edging. Pretend I meant to do that all along. Less time consuming than doing the entire edging in gray, but matches less.

I was hoping to have this done by the end of the month. GUESS NOT. (in theory option one would get it done by the end of the month if I hurried, but I'd have to pick it right now)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

In theory I could dye something, but I'd have to get some plain silk roving first and then work out the colour sequence and at that point it's just too much effort. And of course I've lost the roving label, so I don't even remember where it came from.

The spinning thread is technically still alive on the third page, but it's pretty close to being archived. Quick, think of something to say!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

100% silk. It came in a thing of three ounces, looped together and then wrapped around. It was fairly narrow roving, though it seemed a bit thick to be technically pencil roving. It was dyed in a rainbow of colours, from dark blue to pink.

It's one of those things where I'd know it instantly if I saw it, I just can't describe it in a super helpful way.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

That...might be it! The colors look similar and Bob's stuff definitely looks like how it was when I bought it. I'm not sure I see the exact colorway on the site, but Amethyst might be close enough.

Of course, I find this out just as I decided to just rip back... Now I have to decide all over again.

Thanks, Felicity! If nothing else, I love me some nicely dyed silk.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Basically every time I try to learn continental I give up after ten stitches.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Whelp, new Knitty.

Lots of hats this issue. As I look terrible in knitted hats, I will not be taking a second look at them.

Deflect looks kind of nice. Not a big fan of the other sock pattern.

I think a lot of the sweaters/cardigans look decent, at least...and then there's Agata and...uh. Yeah.

Beer Mitt: ...okay, Knitty. Okay. You do what you want, I know.

I dunno. Batting about average for Knitty, I think.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

gently caress vertical stripes.

I think I've finally managed to get it to where the yarn doesn't tangle...unless I put the project down for any reason. But hey, why would I ever do that, right?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

My main group meets Tuesday evenings and is mostly 20-40 year olds. They're all pretty cool and we don't have many problems with politics discussion. There is one older lady who is kind of...overbearing and will shove her way into any conversation to lecture you, but she doesn't show up every time. She's about the only person I have a problem with. Everyone else is super chill.

There used to be another group around a different yarn store that was very much the retired grandma model, and they were perfectly nice but man I was out of place. I used to go there anyway because they were right down the street from my apartment and they had a really great selection of spinning supplies, but then they moved and eventually went out of business so whatever.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Does anyone have a good set of images for chart symbols? Especially standard cable symbols with maximum number of variations. I need them. I need them FOR SCIENCE. (hopefully science that the thread will like)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Mizufusion posted:

No, but I have this FOR SCIENCE pattern with lots of cables in it: http://www.twosheep.com/helix/

That has been in my to-do list for years, but I know I would never finish it. :ohdear:

I've actually made that! Unfortunately even with the border it curled up (EVERYTHING DOES THIS WHY EVEN BOTHER WITH THE BORDER) so I don't wear it as much as my binary scarf, but it's right in the closet for when I feel like taking it out.

This probably has enough symbols to get me started, at least. Thanks!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I was going to suggest blocking wires and a wall, but the bed is probably a better idea.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

jota23 posted:

It looks that way, but a poorly balanced spindle makes for an extremely painful experience.

Try a Greensleeves Bare Bones spindle. It's pretty inexpensive, and perfectly balanced. It'll make your first experience so much better than most of us had.

That's what I learned on, and it's pretty good. It's a little heavier than I tend to use nowadays, but it's great for beginners and should make a good spindle for thick yarn or plying later.

I don't know of any other good spindle makers, since after that I found a couple spindles made locally and just used those. Check if your LYS has a spinning section maybe?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I like DPNs. They feel more flexible in what you can do with them than circulars to me, and I don't really like dealing with Magic Loop all that often. Circs do have the advantage in the very beginning, where a DPN project will be flopping everywhere, but that evens out after a few rows. Plus I think DPNs are the only way to do really small diameter knitting, like the fingers on a glove.

I used to only use bamboo DPNs but I really enjoy my metal KnitPicks set. They're certainly harder to break. (lost a good set of DPNs to an accident once. It was very sad)

It all really depends on personal preference, though.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

What's the advantage of one sock on two circulars? Two socks on one circular is a pretty obvious benefit, but if I'm just making one sock I might as well use DPNs. Is it just for people that like circs that much better, but don't want to deal with two at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

On Ravelry, a number of independent designers are having a sale from November 1st to the 15th. There's some good stuff in there, if you want to look.