Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hello knitting thread, I do not have any of my own knits to share with you, but I did want to share this collection of supremely good sweaters. I would unironically wear the ice cream one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

No pics because my camera is shot right now, but after over 2 years, I've finally finished my own Star Wars scarf. It'll be a Christmas gift for my father, who's a big Star Wars fan.

I feel oddly empty now that the project's all done, and on the last two rows of the project I got very anxious, and binding off was, I can only imagine, the same feeling a mother feels when sending her baby off to university.
That it was 1AM probably didn't help, in hindsight.

I can't believe I have the freedom to work on something for myself, now! I will probably also not be able to believe how much faster regular knitting is compared to double knitting.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I conquered my fear of DPNs and knit a pair of socks!!

(Please excuse the awkward photo, my webcam is the only camera I have at the moment)

I used this beginners sock pattern and gotta say... they're not terribly comfortable. I misunderstood the last part of the pattern and knit an extra round on the end of the first sock, so it's got a weird stub at the end, and I ran out of yarn at the toe of the second sock so I had to use white of a very slightly different thickness.

But I did it! It was certainly something to get used to though, the first couple rows felt like I had needles pointing everywhere.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Before I found the strength to pick up DPNs, I'd heard of magic loop, so I bought a circular needle, not realising you needed an extra-long one to manage that technique.

So now I have a regular-length circular I have no use for. :sigh: What does one even make ordinarily with a circular needle? It seems to me that you'd be stuck knitting projects of a very particular circumference?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I keep yarn scraps in a bag and use it to stuff toys so I don't have to buy stuffing as often - maybe you could do that?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Good news folks, if you're in the market for unusably small amounts of yarn,

Dollarama has you covered!!

(in case you can't tell from the photo, these balls were about 2 inches tall)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I knit my first mitt!!

It's Tin Can Knit's 'Maize' in the smallest size so I wouldn't get bored or too stressed out if I needed to redo it. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be!!

Are gloves done the same way as the thumb, with the stitches held on bits of yarn? I thought that was clever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh wow those are cute as hell. I'd never have the patience to make the same cardigan twice - I barely have the patience to make a second sock. Nice work!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

All my quarantine crafting has been of the crochet variety so far,

but these amazing knit buildings might change my course

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I get the idea behind 'support your local yarn store', but all the yarn stores around me are too snobbish to carry the giant ball of red heart the size of my head that i'd get at walmart and that's what i need to refill on right now

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Not all yarns are suitable for all purposes, but it's fine to have preferences and like things not sold at Michael's.

I agree! My problem is that I want to financially support my local yarn stores but only have use for Michael's-tier yarn right now

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh I'm doing a Flax right now too! It's in the rainbow Caron big cake. I just finished a Harvest too, in the cookie Caron big cake (they were on sale OK) though I still haven't blocked it. Apologies for linking to twitter:

https://twitter.com/GoldfishWarning/status/1425972567198810113?t=1QLjTcettN4CUQa4zvsxIw&s=19

Tin can knits is really great. I'd never made full adult sized garments before.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DRINK ME posted:

That looks like a very cosy cardy.

How did you find the larger Caron Cakes? I bought a small one with included hat pattern when I was still new to knitting, it had quite a few joins and knots through it and I sort of wrote off Caron brand after that.

Thanks!
I was warned about that with this brand, but I actually haven't seen it even once yet in the Big Cakes I've bought. Idk if there's a difference in quality between the two sizes, I'm just lucky, differences in factories, or what

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Are you pulling the yarn super tight after every action? That seems to be a pretty common beginner habit that's entirely counterproductive

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I can never fuckin remember which style is continental and which style is English and what Throwing is etc

I just know I used to hold the yarn in my right hand and move my arm to wrap the yarn around each time and it was slow as hell

But I was like 'well if I can feed in the yarn from my left hand for crochet it'll probably be a little trickier without a hook but I think I could learn' and now I hold the yarn in my left hand and catch it with my needle tip to bring it through the stitches
and I recommend learning to do that bc it is indeed way faster

Also I learned to mirror knit stitches so I can purl without flipping the work for stockinette stitch and it rules I hate flipping over a huge piece

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I'm going to be knitting a lot of socks this year for a charity event, but it's so annoying to bring knitting projects on dpns when traveling. There are so many needles involved and the risk of one slipping loose in the bag is too high. Is there a smart way of storing dpn projects for travel?

Ngl I just get those tiny hair elastics, the ones that you get like 100 for a dollar and hurt to take out, and wrap one at the end of each needle

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How does one knit vertical stripes bc I'm so bad at intarsia that I end up with completely separate knit pieces just next to each other

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It's September, so friends: what are we knitting for people for Christmas this year

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

it seems like if you want to knit summer clothing you have to do it in cotton, but all the cotton yarn i've ever used feels like dishcloth.
is there a different cotton yarn? or do i need to treat it somehow?
or is everyone just knitting dishcloth tshirts??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tin can knits "flax" is my goto Raglan pattern, and it's designed to be easy for a beginner, but you'll need to look at their measurements and compare to your own