Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Blistex posted:

Hmmm, search function must be down. Two Ghostbuster references and Boomerjinks hasn't spammed this thread with his car.

Content:

When I was three my father made a rocking horse for me out of scrap cedar. I loved that thing and would wear out the carpet from my excessive riding. Fast forward 12 years and mom was having a yard sale. She put the rocking horse out on the lawn and $5.00 later it was gone. Fast forward another 10-12 years. I'm driving along a street three hours from where I live and I see something out of the corner of my eye. It's that rocking horse. Some people said they picked it up at a yard sale a few streets over, and those people had picked it up off the curb an hour before the garbage truck rolled up. It had been sitting on their porch for a few years and looked pretty bad due to a few winters and a lot of sun.

I told them that it was actually my old horse and they were a little dubious. I told them to wait a second and had my wife dig up the photos from the album I had scanned and she emailed it to me on my phone. The people couldn't believe it and sold it to me for $5.00

I decided that I would fix it up, repaint it, and put it in the the living room of my new house. What's even more amazing is that the old paint was still in my parents basement, and it was still good! I used the exact same paint from ~22 years earlier that my dad had used to paint it.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to ride this thing. . . once they're born that is.

this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Blistex posted:

Hmmm, search function must be down. Two Ghostbuster references and Boomerjinks hasn't spammed this thread with his car.

Content:

When I was three my father made a rocking horse for me out of scrap cedar. I loved that thing and would wear out the carpet from my excessive riding. Fast forward 12 years and mom was having a yard sale. She put the rocking horse out on the lawn and $5.00 later it was gone. Fast forward another 10-12 years. I'm driving along a street three hours from where I live and I see something out of the corner of my eye. It's that rocking horse. Some people said they picked it up at a yard sale a few streets over, and those people had picked it up off the curb an hour before the garbage truck rolled up. It had been sitting on their porch for a few years and looked pretty bad due to a few winters and a lot of sun.

I told them that it was actually my old horse and they were a little dubious. I told them to wait a second and had my wife dig up the photos from the album I had scanned and she emailed it to me on my phone. The people couldn't believe it and sold it to me for $5.00

I decided that I would fix it up, repaint it, and put it in the the living room of my new house. What's even more amazing is that the old paint was still in my parents basement, and it was still good! I used the exact same paint from ~22 years earlier that my dad had used to paint it.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to ride this thing. . . once they're born that is.

I am impressed by the build and finish quality that would allow cedar to survive that tale of use, wear, abuse, and neglect- congrats on getting your rocking-horse back.

Sober McNulty
Mar 8, 2005
MrJoey35
I recently purchased my first home and coming from an apartment there's PLENTY of room for new stuff. One of the rooms I intend to turn into a game room. What better thing to have in a game room then an arcade cabinet. But which one.... how bout ALL OF THEM.

This is where M.A.M.E (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) comes in. I'm sure most if not all of you have at least heard the name mentioned somewhere. After a couple weeks of research I purchased the following book.

It's supposedly the "Bible" of diy arcade gaming. After reading through it and coming as far as I have there are some things I would do differently. The book comes with a CD with a couple different cabinet plans. After choosing the most popular I made a VERY quick mock up.

Let me interrupt here and tell you I have NEVER built anything in my life. I've never even used any type of power tool unless you count a cordless drill. One of the reasons I decided to take this on is to test myself. Please keep this in mind going forward in case you notice something that looks way off.

So what first? Well first thing is buy 3 sheets of MDF and measure and cut everything out.

Obligatory messy workspace

Once everything is cut out it's time to screw all that crap together.

The bottom half

Top half gets mounted

The inside of the control panel where all the button and joystick guts go.

I'm gonna interrupt again for funny short story. I'd been trying to buy some speakers on craiglist/ebay for the cabinet for a couple days. This guy had some listed on craigslist for a really good price. I contacted him and asked if they were still for sale, he said they were, I asked for his address so I knew where abouts I'd be going to pick them up. He gave me his address and like a normal person I googled it and the address came up as being in New Braunfels (not too far from San Antonio where I am). Cool right, be there and back in about an hour. Well I was about to leave and was entering his address into my gps and it came back as being in Austin (about an hour and a half away). I texted him and asked if he was in Austin or New Braunfels. He said he was in Austin and the following picture is what happened next. I named him bi polar Bill cause he had been the coolest guy to talk to the entire day up to this point. His listing was in New Braunfels not Austin by the way.

Funny huh? I ended up winning an auction on Ebay later that night so no big deal. I also bought a 27" Tv on craigslist (locally this time) and installed them along with the speaker grills I bought online just to see what they looked like, and if I had been measuring correctly so far.

If you notice I went ahead and filled all the screw holes and dumb accidental cuts I made with wood putty. After that its on to sanding the whole deal, giving it a coat of primer, sand again, and add another coat of primer.

Followed of course by another round of sanding and the first coat of black paint. Which is where I'm at today.

Im gonna be using a launcher called Hyperspin. I'm also going to be running a bunch of other emulators as well as MAME. What this launcher does is puts everything into one nice neat place so I don't have to Exit MAME, Launch my NES emulator, Exit Nes emulator, Launch NEO-GEO emulator, etc etc. There are some good videos in the preview section if you really wanna check it out.

Here are some other pictures of me messing around with the launcher and playing (barely) a couple games with a keyboard.

Like I said that's where I'm at today. Tomorrow I plan on sanding again and adding another coat of black paint. Of course if any one has any questions comments or suggestions just let me know and I'll do my best to answer. I'll also keep updating with further progress as it happens.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
:psyduck: what is wrong with that guy. Am I to assume the conversation went like this?

You: Hey, you in Austin or New Braunfels?
Him: Austin, why?
You: My GPS and Google are giving me two different results.
Him: AHHHHH! gently caress you retard! You're never getting my speakers!

Or is there something we are missing? He's like a man who talks in Youtube Comments.

Either way, that is a sweet looking cabinet you have. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sober McNulty
Mar 8, 2005
MrJoey35

Blistex posted:

:psyduck: what is wrong with that guy. Am I to assume the conversation went like this?

You: Hey, you in Austin or New Braunfels?
Him: Austin, why?
You: My GPS and Google are giving me two different results.
Him: AHHHHH! gently caress you retard! You're never getting my speakers!

Or is there something we are missing? He's like a man who talks in Youtube Comments.

Either way, that is a sweet looking cabinet you have. Can't wait to see the finished product.

It went exactly like this.

Me: www.craigslist.com>New Braunfels>Speakers I want. "Sweet this guy is selling the exact $150 speakers I want for $70, I can definitely make the drive up there for that let me shoot him an email" Send email>"Hey noticed you had some speakers for sale you still have em?

Him: "Ya man $70 they're yours"

Me: "Awesome whats your address so I know where to go pick them up"

Him: 1234 batshitcrazy street

should've asked for a zip at this point.

Me: www.google.com> 1234 batshitcrazy street

Google: "yes sir 1234 batshitcrazy street new braunsfels Tx"

Me: send another email back> "sweet you're not too far I'll drive up tomorrow with the cash see you then"

next day

me: entering address into gps brings up austin not new braunfels. I do another google search this time 1234 batshitcrazy street AUSTIN, TX and sure enough exact same street and number in another city. "crap im willing to drive but not THAT far especially on a weekday when I have work tomorrow, let me shoot him a quick text to see if he's in Austin or New Braunfels. If he's in Austin I'll offer to pay for shipping and give him half up front and the other half when I get the item. That seems like a reasonable offer :buddy:"

him:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That cabinet looks awesome.

But there's no way in hell I'd ever take an offer to mail someone something for half-now half-later, polite and sincere though your proposal was. (I'd also simply politely refuse instead of :ssj:)

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
So you guys have proved pretty inspiring in this thread, and thus motivated me to go out and do something of my own (albeit rather minor/small scale). I'm a drummer, specifically marching (marching band/drum corps shout out right now). Marching bass is my favorite, but the problem lies in practicing. Most of the time I just use padding on my doorway and go at it, but my parents have started to complain. Vic Firth and other companies sell an official stand, but it's rather overpriced and I find it silly. So, time to make my own!

I have limited experience in CAD software, so I quickly busted out some plans in Pro/Engineer. Pretty sure I killed it on the amount of supports, but it was just a really easy pattern so I just went with it.

Front head-on view. With my Vic Firth standard snare pad.

Isometric view. Going to head out to Home Depot tomorrow and buy the wood. First building project, oh yeah!

Sober McNulty
Mar 8, 2005
MrJoey35
Got a little further along today. Finished installing the red t-molding which wasn't too much of a pain in the rear end.

I managed to finish that in about an hour or so and had some extra time so why not add speakers, a screen, bezel frame, and bezel.

Im not in love with the bezel right now so I may order another one. when you get them I think they're about 29" X 29" and I needed it to be ~27" X 27" cutting that bastard was not pretty and I think I went a tiny bit over board so I'll just grab another one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking really good. Kinda makes me want to build one.

Also, gently caress MDF. I hope you at least wore a dust mask. That poo poo is horrible and you will never fully rid yourself of the dust you made there. A decade from now, you will still be finding piles of it tucked away in corners and behind vent screens.

Sober McNulty
Mar 8, 2005
MrJoey35

Bad Munki posted:

Also, gently caress MDF.

AMEN! It's like going to the beach every time I set foot in my garage. When I come back inside I find dust in my pockets, shoes, everywhere. I sweep every time I go do something in there and the next time I go in there it's like I didn't clean a thing. I did have a mask, best purchase I made during this whole process.

Sober McNulty fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 26, 2011

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Cut it outside. I don't think I've been more troubled by MDF dust than other dust but I cut all of it outside due to the health risks. Once you've set up drywall everything else dust related is relative. Hell, I've killed vacuums on drywall dust.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Iskariot posted:

Cut it outside. I don't think I've been more troubled by MDF dust than other dust but I cut all of it outside due to the health risks. Once you've set up drywall everything else dust related is relative. Hell, I've killed vacuums on drywall dust.

Dry wall dust has nothing on fire doors. I was running my doors through cutting the hinges and door knob holes when all of sudden my lungs were burning. I turn around to find the whole shop in a white cloud of this poo poo. Fuckers didn't warn me that they were cutting windows in them (using a router). don't cut out on respiratory protection when doing anything with particles that float.

Fuckers didn't warn me about sending a lead lined door through the table saw either...wear eye protection too. Then again I should have known something was up when the guy helping put on the welding jacket and mask.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Yeah, I'm wearing a mask and various other protection gear more frequently nowadays as most of this stuff will probably kill you in the long run. Those dry, white boogers you get from sanding drywall probably means your lungs are covered in it too. Maybe the stuff itself isn't dangerous but I'm pretty sure that poo poo isn't healthy.

I've been meaning to hunt down a good mask with detachable filters but the selection is pretty slim in the regular shops here. Anyone got any good recommendations? Something that's meant to last and I can find filters for a couple of years down the line.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Took some pics and video of my (almost completed) LED tail light retro, which I posted about a few months ago I think. Just gotta build and convert the right side indicator now (it's tedious building it and making it fit the bike).

Tail light

Brake light

Indicators, LED on left, normal on right.

Vid of the indicators in action (still doesn't really do the instant on/off of the LEDs justice, it was just shot with my iPhone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1cKFLW2rA&hd=1

anaemic
Oct 27, 2004

I use a 3M half mask respirator and I really, really love it.

In the UK they retail for around £35 normally, but for some reason arco has had them on their website for £4.99 for months now, and even if its a pricing mistake, they're still shipping them out at that price, and I can see nothing wrong with mine.

edit: as a quick note, these are the same respirators (with different filters) that my girlfriend gets issued by the NHS in case of infection breakouts in hospital. They are really good quality.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

anaemic posted:

In the UK they retail for around £35 normally, but for some reason arco has had them on their website for £4.99 for months now, and even if its a pricing mistake, they're still shipping them out at that price, and I can see nothing wrong with mine.

edit: as a quick note, these are the same respirators (with different filters) that my girlfriend gets issued by the NHS in case of infection breakouts in hospital. They are really good quality.

Thank you so so so so so much for that link! I have to wear a respirator when mixing up glaze at uni, and gently caress paying £30 for one from screwfix. I might just buy a few of these and make some profit off classmates (our local hardware store sells them for about £40, it's ridiculous).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sober McNulty posted:

Wow, looks really really good. I really really want to make one of these, but my wife just HAD to go get pregnant. I guess I'm "allowed" after I finish the baby's room, though.

What are the specs of your computer running MAME? We have a really old P4 2.x GHz laying around and I'm hoping it will run the bulk of the old games.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Iskariot posted:

Yeah, I'm wearing a mask and various other protection gear more frequently nowadays as most of this stuff will probably kill you in the long run. Those dry, white boogers you get from sanding drywall probably means your lungs are covered in it too. Maybe the stuff itself isn't dangerous but I'm pretty sure that poo poo isn't healthy.

I've been meaning to hunt down a good mask with detachable filters but the selection is pretty slim in the regular shops here. Anyone got any good recommendations? Something that's meant to last and I can find filters for a couple of years down the line.

Get ANY mask with protruding 'pod' filters; buy a stack of dusk masks; zip tie those over the inlets of the pod, change regularly. For bulk dusts this will do you just fine, the activated charcoal is only for reactive compounds, and the pleated prefilter is basically just dusk mask material but spread out over more area so that they don't clog as quickly. Also many masks out there use standard prefilters and charcoal filters (and are generally held inside a pod) so try to get one of those instead of one that uses a custom combined prefilter/charcoal.

Sober McNulty
Mar 8, 2005
MrJoey35

dreesemonkey posted:

What are the specs of your computer running MAME? We have a really old P4 2.x GHz laying around and I'm hoping it will run the bulk of the old games.

Congrats on your upcoming "project." I'm using a 2.66 core 2 Lenovo with a gig of RAM and a VERY old GeForce MX 4000 video card. I think its a bit over kill though, I hear you really don't need a beefy system just to run emulators and Roms.

A little update on whats going on now. I moved the cab inside cause the messy part is pretty much over with as far as the cab goes. There's a little bit of sanding I wanna do to the kb drawer but I can always just remove it and take it outside real quick. The control panel will be the next thing I tackle I'm going to be ordering some competition pushbuttons, joysticks, and Electric Ice-T RGB Arcade trackball this week.

Sober McNulty fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
If you only ever plan on emulating z80 based games, then almost any computer made in the last decade will do. However if you are using it to run something a bit more powerful like a Sega model 2 emulator, you'll want something a bit more modern.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

anaemic posted:

Nice price! Wonder what shipping will be.

While I'm there, what filters should I be looking at getting? The 3M site was pretty confusing as the half masks and filters site quickly went on to gases and loving radiation. I may as well pick up a few stacks of different filters.

- Wood dust
- Drywall dust
- Oil based paint (the acrylic ones should be safe)
- (in the future) Welding :science:

May as well buy some proper filters as I expect they will last long. I don't do this for a living after all.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The filters are sealed from the factory. When you open the filters and use them after you are done seal them back up in a zipper baggie, or vacuum pack if you can. It will make the filters last longer.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

The filters are sealed from the factory. When you open the filters and use them after you are done seal them back up in a zipper baggie, or vacuum pack if you can. It will make the filters last longer.

That's only for the activated charcoal though; which only comes into play if you are dealing with volatile chemicals, wood dust and drywall dust just use the cotton pleated filter. This is also why if the charcoal and pleated filter are separate it is better, because you could keep the charcoal in its factor sealed package until needed and go through dozens of pleated filters in the meanwhile.

Though if you are VOC sensitive (like my wife) activated charcoal is awesome even with acrylic paints. If you are adventurous and you prefer filtering but won't DIE if the filter fails you can actually buy bulk aquarium activated charcoal (or even make you own) open up the pod and replace. If you will die if your filter does not work DO NOT TRY THIS!

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

ant mouth posted:

As for the disc brakes, we'd love to have them but our current budget doesn't allow for it to happen. One of our other bikes has a front disc and it inspires a lot more confidence.

I don't know from disc brakes, but I saw these while browsing DealExtreme and thought of you: ZOOM Hollow-Out Bike Bicycle Mechanical Disc Brake Line - Red + Silver
Price: $49.10 free shipping
It looks like a pair, too, not just one.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Sun Dog posted:

I don't know from disc brakes, but I saw these while browsing DealExtreme and thought of you: ZOOM Hollow-Out Bike Bicycle Mechanical Disc Brake Line - Red + Silver
Price: $49.10 free shipping
It looks like a pair, too, not just one.

I like dealextreme and all, but I'm not sure I would want to have my life depend on one of there products.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I'm building a goat house!

Room for two goats, which we will milk. I run an organic veggie farm so its a good fit for us. The goats will provide us with about 10litres of milk a day, which we will drink and turn into cheese.

The building was originally supposed to be a simple drive shed design, and it still is, but when I sunk some leftover posts from my hopyard, and saw how tall they were, I decided to do a two story goat house. The top floor can be for winter hay storage, or more goats, or for crazy goat house dance parties.

A large portion of the lumber is reclaimed horse fence, and some of the flooring is beautiful hardwood from a historical building in town. Lucky goats!

I haven't built much else in my life... a few pieces for a playground, shelves, a floor for a tent... this is definitely the most advanced thing I've built. It has been a lot of fun.

Four fourteen foot cedar posts sunk, and some floor framing attached. I went with a raised floor because its easier for a newbie like me to level on such uneven terrain. Next time I would notch the posts to inset the lumber for some added strength.

The original plan was for a single story structure, but the 14 foot posts have enough height for two stories, so why not? I later doubled the joists of the 2nd floor to make it less scary.

2nd floor framing and the beginnings of the framing for the roof, which is slanted one way.

At this point I finished the lower floor to make the thing easier to work on. Rigid foam insulation is fun to work with. The 2nd floor has flooring now too (uninsulated), but I cant find pictures of it.

I packed the floor with straw in addition to rigid foam to add to the insulation a bit. Straw out of bales doesn't add much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. This was topped with vapour barrier before attached the floorboards.

Intern Lauren helps out with the floor.

The ramp is built to make working on the upper parts easier. I couldn't believe how much strength this added to the structure.

My dad came out from the west coast for a visit so we put him to work. Here we're doubling up all the... outer flooring lumber(??).

Next we went to work adding all the wood needed to attach the walls to, which required a little fine tuning of the cedar posts.

Hammer face! My dad lives in the suburbs, and was in his glory helping slap together a goat house. We definitely made some awesome memories doing this, and I was surprised how well we worked together.

Here you see the roof starting to take shape. This is its current form, and I'll update as new developments occur.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

I've been meaning to get this project accomplished since I moved into my new place in January. I finished it last night, took about a week of working on and off. I don't know how people refinish houses while they live in them--I had a week of sawdust everywhere and I was happier to clean my place then finish the shelf by the time I was done.

I saw something I liked at Minneapolis Art Institute. I can do this. The black support in this is i-beam, but I'm planning on substituting wood because I don't know how the hell I'd stick it to my wall using the metal.

I taped off the wall and let it sit for about a month while I thought about the project:

I fit all of this wood in a Camry, got a new blade for the skill saw too.

I think my neighbors hate me now, I made probably 75 cuts inside a small apartment building because it was 5F outside at the time. These are the covers to hide the support system.

Additionally, none of the support system is the studs. I spent a long time on the front end trying to find them unsuccessfully. I think it's been skim-coated so many times the plaster is 2-3" thick.

So this is how I planned on supporting the structure, I took a 2x4, drilled 4-equidistance holes halfway through it along the 1-ft section, put in a 3" screw to the wall. Then I screwed the 1x12 into the 2x4.

Here is a better quality image than the final version, but an idea of how it looks with the covers on it.

Completed shelving

I think I'm going to oil the shelves and stain the support covers a dark walnut to get the colors closer to the original design. I've never oiled wood before, only stained/varnished. The shelving is very strong despite not having any support pieces into studs. A small child could climb it. I'm really happy with how it turned out though I'll need to replace one of the 4ft sections because the board is warped enough to be visible in person.

You inspired me to finally do something about my bare-rear end living room wall.

Taping out an idea:

Lumber!

Cleats attached to the studs with some manly lag screws.

Primer!

Paint!

The hollow shelves (made from hollow bifold closet doors, cut in half) get glued and nailed onto the cleats.

And now comes the hardest part.. decorating them.

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2011

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I'm building a goat house!

That's really cool! Out of curiosity, how are the raised boards attached to the posts?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

That's really cool! Out of curiosity, how are the raised boards attached to the posts?

The bottom level is five five-inch spikes per side. I ran out of them for the upper level so I used six 3 1/2 inch nails. The shear strength of the smaller nails is 96 pounds each, so unless I get really fat goats I think we'll be okay. At every stage of the building process I was swinging off of and trying to push over the drat thing, and it's really solid, so I'm happy with it, but like I said above, insetting the raised boards into the posts would have taken little time, and added much to the structure, methinks.

Back out in the sun to work on the roof now!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
How deep did you sink those posts?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

How deep did you sink those posts?

and why aren't they on footings? not worried about rot?

DavidAlltheTime posted:

insetting the raised boards into the posts would have taken little time, and added much to the structure, methinks.

you would have been better to set them into hangers, or lag bolt them in their current configuration (rather than just nail).

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 12, 2011

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

how deep did you sink those posts?

The auger sent them about 3 and half feet deep.

Guitarchitect posted:

and why aren't they on footings? not worried about rot?

The cedar posts set into the plain old ground near the goat house around 50 years ago are still ship-shape, so no, I didn't think about pouring concrete.

To answer the

Guitarchitect posted:

you would have been better to set them into hangers, or lag bolt them in their current configuration (rather than just nail).

Lag bolts would have worked too, you're right, and I've joined cedar posts to each other with them before. Not sure why I didn't think of it for this. How would the hangers have worked for joining a board to the side of a post? Or would the board hang directly between the posts? That would give me no room for insulation, no?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Huh. You must be someplace drier than Iowa. 3 foot deep wood without pilings tends to rot out in a few years here because of the snow and rain.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Lag bolts would have worked too, you're right, and I've joined cedar posts to each other with them before. Not sure why I didn't think of it for this. How would the hangers have worked for joining a board to the side of a post? Or would the board hang directly between the posts? That would give me no room for insulation, no?

you'd anchor the hangers into the post, and then rest the joist on it... the intent is to transfer the load on the joist down through the wood itself - your current connection relies entirely on the shear strength of the nails you've used... which is a connection that *can* be done well, but you'd use a shear plate or split ring to do it.

the board would hang directly between the posts, yes (like if you made a mortise + tendon connection) so you've probably done what you needed to in order to build the walls with what you have handy... in reality, the best solution would be to set your floors on *top* of the post, not hang it off the side :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

Huh. You must be someplace drier than Iowa. 3 foot deep wood without pilings tends to rot out in a few years here because of the snow and rain.

We had a big discussion about this a long time ago. Can't remember if it was in this thread or another. Something about fences I think.

The gist of it was, if done right, wood sunk in the earth can last a long time with or without pilings. Cup shaped pilings can collect water and hasten rot, some soils hasten rot, but pilings that are hollow-cylinders (no cement on the bottom) are really good. For plain soil, as long as it's well compacted around the wood and there's as few as possible air pockets, it will last decades, probably.

Cedar's pretty rot resistant from most soils, provided it's not already infected with fungus, especially when upright. Something about water collecting in the wood fibres I think.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Cedar's pretty rot resistant from most soils, provided it's not already infected with fungus, especially when upright. Something about water collecting in the wood fibres I think.

yeah, cedar will essentially form its own protective layer as it weathers, which prevents full penetration of water + rot. a similar thing happens with Corten Steel, which rusts enough to retain its structural integrity but not enough that it rusts straight through... for some reason I didn't pick up at first that they were cedar

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

yeah, cedar will essentially form its own protective layer as it weathers, which prevents full penetration of water + rot. a similar thing happens with Corten Steel, which rusts enough to retain its structural integrity but not enough that it rusts straight through... for some reason I didn't pick up at first that they were cedar

Me either. Now I feel bad. :(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Similarly, my uncle used Black Locust wood posts for fencing just sunk into earth with no gravel or concrete and they last several decades but Locust is stupidly hard and rot resistant.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Me either. Now I feel bad. :(

No worries, it's a valid comment. My hopyard has a mix of cedar posts with and without concrete footings, and I'm interested to see how they far as the years go by.

So I used reclaimed tin for the goat house roof today, and had it in the barn patching it with some subfloor glue I found lying around, and I'm telling my buddy who works in construction that I'm worried about missing the rafters when I'm screwing the tin in, and he asks why I think I need to hit the rafters, and I say 'what else would I screw into?' and he explains these cross pieces of 3/4 inch wood that usually get laid across barn roofs to attach tin to. Thank god I talked with him! I used some leftover flooring pieces I still had near the goat house. It made it so much easier to work with, and despite crazy winds trying to blow me off a ladder, we got two 10x3 sheets on before supper. Super stoked it's taking shape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

No worries, it's a valid comment. My hopyard has a mix of cedar posts with and without concrete footings, and I'm interested to see how they far as the years go by.

So I used reclaimed tin for the goat house roof today, and had it in the barn patching it with some subfloor glue I found lying around, and I'm telling my buddy who works in construction that I'm worried about missing the rafters when I'm screwing the tin in, and he asks why I think I need to hit the rafters, and I say 'what else would I screw into?' and he explains these cross pieces of 3/4 inch wood that usually get laid across barn roofs to attach tin to. Thank god I talked with him! I used some leftover flooring pieces I still had near the goat house. It made it so much easier to work with, and despite crazy winds trying to blow me off a ladder, we got two 10x3 sheets on before supper. Super stoked it's taking shape!

yep, they're called purlins... not an absolute necessity on such a small roof but not bad to have either