Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006
Your friendly neighborhood Mad Scientist.
Post your projects!

This thread is for projects that don't deserve their own thread or you just don't feel like making and maintaining a thread of your own (ya lazy bastard).

Feel free to post a short how-to or just pictures.
Also this isn't limited to construction or related projects, anything is fine (like software or... um... knitting, I guess).

To get things rolling, here's my *awesome* chalkboard I made this summer.

I made it to hug the wall to save space. That way, it can be put in places that are already “wasted” space (e.g. where a door swings opens). Perfect for a small apartment or dorm where you can't anchor a 4'x4' sheet of plywood to the wall.

To make the board, I made a frame out of 1x4 baseboard (glued and biscuited) to which I glued and nailed a thin 4'x4' sheet of 3/16” plywood subflooring (luan? can't remember the name).
The top surface I sanded and painted with chalkboard paint, assuming that the fairly thick paint would fill in all the imperfections (which it almost did... almost). However, the surface is still quite rough (but usable). I would recommend doing something different, such as using a different material like tileboard (for a dry erase board) or sanding the wood smooth and applying a sealer before painting.

I made the stand from 1/2” electrical conduit (three 5' lengths), 1/2” conduit straps (eight total), some 3/8” threaded rod, and two 3/8 nuts . One length of conduit was cut in half and nut was driven into each piece (see pic). Now screw the threaded rod or extra long bolts into each nut. This allows the length of the legs to change. Reason for this being so you can easily set the board up and then extend the legs to put pressure on the floor and ceiling for support.

P.S. Be sure to peen ( :dong: ) the nuts in place: i.e. use a punch to make indents above and below the nuts to keep them from slipping.

Now all you need are some blocks to place between the the legs and the floor and ceiling to keep from destroying your apartment and you're done!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

BaronVonBigmeat posted:

awesome

This is just incredible.

You (AND LudwigVon Lugnuts) are a remodeling god(S).

EDIT: :hurr:

EigenKet fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 8, 2008

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

BaronVonBigmeat posted:

Thanks! But that's not my thread. :) I did have a similarly massive project though.

"LudwigVon Lugnuts" is nearly identical to "BaronVonBigmeat" (both contain "Von"), you can understand my confusion. :downs:

it's been a long night. :downsgun:

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006
I gotta know, how did you bruise your lung with a post hole digger?

And nice job on the patio. It looks really good.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

Well, it was one of the two man augers, actually. 20 degrees + clay + gravel we have here in Indiana = lots of getting stuck. Whacked me in the chest hard enough to bruise the lung, but not break any bones. http://www.alexkubacki.com/Junk/bruise.gif

Oh, it was powered. See, I was picturing this kind of post hole digger, the only kind I've had the misfortune of using. It would take a very strange sequence of events to bruise a lung with one of those.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Frank Fencepost posted:

I make tattoo machines.

That's pretty cool, I like the detail on washer on the second one. They look like they would be fun to make.

Also, could you explain what we're seeing there? Most of us don't know much about tattoo stuff. I guess that that's the part that drives the needle, but I don't know how it fits into the rest of the gun/needle (or whatever it's called).

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I made a Terry Pratchett Discworld themed monopoly set for a friends wedding about 4/5 years ago, from scratch.

Goddamn that's awesome. I want an ole' timey themed Monopoly.

I haven't read any of the Discworld series but I have read Good Omens, how do they compare (writing style, humor, etc)?

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

zeus juice posted:

I don't have a project (yet!), but this is dangerously close to archival and it's one of my favorite threads.

Those jerks down in the "Post stuff you've made. (That isn't really a project.)" thread have been stealing my traffic. I think it might be the "Sex" thread tag, though.

:argh: drat YOU RealKyleH :argh:

Anyhow, I hope it can hang on for a couple of months for when I move and need to make a new coffee table and end tables. I haven't decided on a design, but I think I'll make the base from tubing or round stock (probably round stock since its stronger).

Probably something like this:

Minus the open flame of course.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Angiportus posted:

One of my favorite projects was the MAME table I built a few years ago:

Wasn't someone on this forum selling something like this? You maybe?

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Peantoo posted:

That's what I was thinking. I already had a plan to vent the hot air outside, but I like the idea of water cooling. I might be able to rig up a cpu water cooler to the peltier system and install the exhaust...under the car or something. Two tubes of fluid would be much easier to route to the outside of a car than a large vent. Thanks for the ideas!

Based on a 5 minute analysis I think you'll have quite a bit of trouble cooling a car like that.

Full sunlight delivers around 1000 watts / meter ^2 and your car has a square meter or two of surface area exposed to the sun. So if you want to keep the car's temp. equal to the outside temp. your cooling system is going to have to move at least a kilowatt.

Those wine coolers work at lower power because they're removing energy from an insulated box so the conduction of heat back in is small. If you have [thermal energy out] > [thermal energy in] and [thermal energy in] is small, the inside of the box cools and it takes little power to do so.
A car is very far from an insulated box and getting [thermal out] > [thermal in] will take significantly more power.

A simpler solution would be a solar powered fan that vents the hot air to the outside .

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Like this?

Exactly, except buying an already made one is no fun.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I suggested she just crack her windows an inch and call it a day, convection will take care of the rest.

That's also no fun.

and lets bugs / rain in.

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Squier posted:

My senior capstone project (physics major) was to build a permanent magnet cyclotron. Here's a few pictures.

sweet, what energy do you get?
Can you get x-rays? gamma?

I have a physics project I'm working on. It's for biophysics, so no accelerator, but we do have lasers. pew pew!
I'm building an intensity autocorrelator to measure the shape of our pulse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_autocorrelation

RealKyleH posted:

What does that do? Did you do the machining yourself?

it's a particle accelerator (a small one)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

EigenKet fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 13, 2008

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006
Begin: Backyard Blacksmith
First is my coal-burning forge and anvil:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The bucket ...

Here is some stuff I have made:

a tomahawk made out of a ball-pean hammer.
End: Backyard Blacksmith

You're missing brackets in various places. Also before one of the edits the forum software/waffleimages/something wasn't liking your filenames. You had spaces that weren't being processed right (they should have been automatically changed to %20 at some point) and you had a ' that was messing things up.

Hit quote to see what it should be.

Also nice work, I like the knife. :ese:

edit: appropriate smiley :ese:

EigenKet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EigenKet
Sep 17, 2006

Juriko posted:

How sturdy is the center split? While I don't play beer pong i would love to have a folding table that collapses that small but opens that large for art projects. I have one half that size right now that works, but that would be far more useful.

You could make it a lot sturdier by adding a couple of bars that can slide out and bridge the hinge. Like this:

The latches are just to keep the bars from sliding out when you carry it.