Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Don't swear in front of your mother!
I started playing with molten metal, yay!

I made the original out of dollar-store playdough, then slathered Plaster of Paris over it, let it dry into a mold, cleaned out as much of the playdough as I could (the rest of which melts away nicely when the metal is aplied), and melted solder into the mold with a 100W soldering iron of death.

So far I've used both leaded and non-leaded solders, and even tried pewter, which melts near the upper limit of the iron, and thus syrupy and hard to keep liquid. Still, I like pewter, and it's cheap (dollar-store figurines and knick-knacks from thrift shops are common), so I may invest in a proper furnace for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

p0stal b0b posted:

I know Steampunk doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've just finished building this lamp as a Christmas present... :)

gently caress me, that's hot. I've never seen a bulb like the big one there, where did you get it?

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

gross posted:

I moved into a really old house not too long ago, and here's the first room I've mostly finished.

Before (I wish I had taken a few more of these):

Click here for the full 940x705 image.

Looks fantastic!

One thing I'd suggest for the trim is to get some bathroom caulk, and run a bead along where the trim meets the ceiling/wall/itself. It'll cover up the cracks and make it look perfect.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

I turned an old wooden box into a hillbilly amp with a few parts I had lying around and a 7W amp kit I got at a local electronic supply shop.

Sounds good, loud, and runs off a pair of 9Vs or a wall supply.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

RussianBear posted:

I finally finished a crazy project that I'd been working on for a while. Nixie tube sudoku!

You can play the game manually or run a recursive solver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmOi67PPvs

HOLY gently caress. That is loving hot.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Finally finished the fucker. Well, close to finishing anyway. Still have to secure the rear hatch and cut another in foredeck. Next step is to put it in the water and see if it floats. Ignore the dogs.

oh. my.

That's drop-dead gorgeous. I can't see it not floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

I found a discontinued Molger table frame in an Ikea As-Is section (I love As-Is!), and decided to make a tabletop for it. I found a couple of beautiful planks of oak at a wood show, glued them together, planed them into a smooth surface, and attached the Molger.

Unfortunately, the frame was a little too wobbly, so I thought to solve it using turnbuckles to give it tension. It seems to work OK, attached with domed bolts.