Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I made a bracelet as a christmas gift.

First I took this old silver spoon

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

And bent it

Made sure it fit around a female's wrist and was at least sort of the right shape

Then comes the fun part

Click here for the full 763x689 image.

A little elbow grease:

Click here for the full 843x627 image.

The shape still needs to be adjusted a little to fit the actual recipient, and I need to do some more polishing, but overall I think it turned out pretty well for my first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Made this lamp the other day out of a $0.50 industrial lamp and a free air compressor out of a scrap pile. Sandblasted the air compressor last fall but it has started to rust again. Still not sure if the finish should stay like this.

Using a cast iron cover plate from some farm equipment for a base, and brass hardware throughout. Welds look a little ugly where I grafted the shade support in... Had to weld a big nut in there and then weld the pipe to that so there are two beads.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Pardalis posted:

Does anyone have experience building a fence by hand with fallen branches/ found driftwood? I am planning a fence around my yard but I'm not quite sure how to attach crossbeams.

Yep, my experience is that it doesn't really work to keep my dogs in, or deer out. Hope that helps! :cheers:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Those floors are gorgeous. Nice work!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

wormil posted:

I ended up using the 1/3HP motor because I couldn't get the fan blade off the 1/4HP. I tapped it most of the way off then it stuck and won't budge (someone will ask, yes I removed the set screw). I'll have to cut apart the fan housing to finish the job. If you work out the rail idea let me know as I'm starting my stand this weekend and my motor will have to travel about 6-7 inches to reach each pulley.

Here's the lathe up and running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcB5QV-59g

Awesome, some day I'd like to get into wood turning... What are you making there?

Wood freaks me out. It's got grain, it's got knots, and it seems unpredictable. If you take off too much you can't just weld more back on, and for some reason it is a lot harder for me to be precise when working with wood than metal. Carving it by hand is fun but always run into the same issues. What I'm saying is that people that work with wood and are good at it are my heroes :)