Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zodwallop
Dec 18, 2006

Don't believe what the TVs say, Lord Arbus. You can eat them things all day long, have breath as sweet as a pine tree full of angels, and you still won't get any pussy.
I just build a beer pong table with some friends. A friend of mine's annual BBQ/Party is this coming Saturday and we wanted to build a nice beer pong table for it. I drew up some plans for it. I knew that I wanted a folding design.

We started with two 36" square pieces of plywood. We mounted folding table legs on them. We used deck railing around the edges, and put the hinges on those so that it would fold closed and the table leg hardware would be hidden inside. We needed the L-brackets to support it so that it wouldn't sag in the middle.

This is what it looks like when it's folded up.

Close-up of the table. You can see we really re-enforced it. Between the two sheets of ply wood I screwed on metal strips. This helps it not sag in the middle when the table is standing (because it's really heavy), and when the table is closed up the metal rests on the ground, not the wood.

We painted on circles, and made wooden circles that we glued on around those. To make the circles I bought 2-3/4" and 3-1/2" hole saws and drilled the circles out of the scrap plywood. The circles are spaced 4" apart, the diameter of the top of a Solo brand cup. We stained the table, and there is one coat of outdoor polyurethane on it at this point.

The circles are raised to prevent the cups from sliding/falling over.

We realized after staining that the plywood had some imperfections, no big deal really, still looks good. For the colors we were originally going to make one side blue, and one side red, with yellow for the water cups. The red paint actually came out looking really pink when we tested it, so we scrapped it.

This is the finished table. We put cups in to test it. We mounted handles on the end for carrying it. We used window locks to keep it closed when it's folded up. The window locks also function as bottle openers.

The project cost us somewhere around $200. Expensive for a beer pong table, but we wanted to make one ourselves though, and this is a lot nicer than just playing on someone's patio table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zodwallop
Dec 18, 2006

Don't believe what the TVs say, Lord Arbus. You can eat them things all day long, have breath as sweet as a pine tree full of angels, and you still won't get any pussy.

Juriko posted:

How sturdy is the center split? While I don't play beer pong i would love to have a folding table that collapses that small but opens that large for art projects. I have one half that size right now that works, but that would be far more useful.

It wasn't sturdy at all at first, because the hinges created a gap in between the two pieces of wood. I added something like this in between the two pieces:

The metal strips and the screws that hold them on make it sturdy enough to put things on, but I wouldn't put anything TOO heavy on there. If you wanted to make it really sturdy, I'd get some 1"x1" deck railing (same as we used on the bottom to hide the legs when folded), cut them to table height, and put those on hinges near the center of the table. That could make for extra support and they'd still be hidden when the table was folded.

Also the corners of the bottom pieces need to be re-enforced with L-Brackets to prevent the center hinges from tearing them off from the weight of the table in the middle. The brackets are visible in the first picture I posted originally.

zodwallop
Dec 18, 2006

Summer Project 2009: Giant Party Jenga

Last year two friends and I built a folding beer pong table. This year, we built a giant game of Jenga with drinking game rules, similar to Kings, on the blocks. You play it like Jenga, except you have to do whatever the blocks say on them.

Click here for the full 845x634 image.

Drink X: Drink for that many many seconds.
Give X: Give out that many seconds.
Shot: Take a shot.
Rule: Make up a rule that lasts the whole game.
Guys/Girls: That gender drinks.
Social: Everybody drinks.
1 More: Pull another block out.

Most of the blocks are self explanatory. Yes, there is a high-five block.

We used a square piece of plywood for the base, and you can turn the legs to level the platform.

The 54 bricks are made out of 2x3s. They are 7-1/2" long. We sanded them down and rounded the corners. We wanted to do 128 pieces originally, but it would have been too tall and unstable.

Click here for the full 634x845 image.

You can see that once you start playing, the game can get to over 3ft tall off of the base.

We used a wood burning tool to burn the rules into the bricks. It looks a lot better than when we planned on using permanent marker.

Click here for the full 634x845 image.

We played our first game today. I can tell it's going to be really fun to play this summer at parties/barbecues. We just need to waterproof the blocks and we'll be ready to go for Memorial Day.

zodwallop fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2009