Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Blooot posted:

Awesome Chandelier

That's really amazing--are you an industrial designer, or just really creative and industrious?

The shape of it reminds me of a sphere I made out of spring-steel a month ago.

Of course, mine turned into an All-Terrain Human-Hamster Sweater-ball

My current project? A set of three lamps that look like crystals made of stained glass.

So I started by making some paper crystal models out of bristol. There's about 6-7 different structures, but most have been disassembled to trace them onto the plexiglass, some of which you can see here. I had no idea the plexi was going to be such a pain to cut and work with.

Drew out some stained glass designs for each face.

Awful picture, but I dyed a ton of china silk, it's got a beautiful shine to it, and it takes dye really well. Except for the red! I had to over dye it three times to get that deep color (first bath, Acid Red, second, Golden Yellow, third, MX Scarlet treated as an acid dye)

Cut that poo poo out. A sharp xacto is my best friend.

Build some plexi-crystals!

Start gluing that poo poo on.

One 3/4 finished, only 11 more to go. I want to make 3 lamps of 3-4 crystals each.

Due in 2 weeks. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Posted the making of, but never the finished lamp.

Looks better lit up, but I just can't seem to take a good photo of that.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Sprinx posted:

Oh my, that is incredible. I bet it looks incredible lit up, does it get rather warm?

Nope, I used leds to light it. It's not very bright, it just sort of glows.