Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinceofNessus
Jan 9, 2007

Building a Crib and Changing Table

Ok so I come from a family that builds and fixes things. My father was a welder and a mechanic, my grandfather a carpenter. Now I learned to work with cars from my dad, and he used to do work on drag cars in the 60s/70s so I'm a pretty decent hand at that. Thanks to my dad I got comfortable with tools, loud noises and chemicals that may cause cancer in the state of California. I never learned anything from my grandfather about wood though. It always kind of scared my 'cause, well it just wasn't a car.

My dad tried to work with wood when he was younger as I understand it, but it turns out that if it can't survive a good fire my dad probably shouldn't be around it. The only project he ever really completed was my crib, and he 'helped' my grandpa. That project however brings us around to our point, I have to build a crib.

Every member of my family for at least the last few generations has slept in a crib that was built by some other member of my family, it's just the way it has to happen. Hell the bed I slept in till I got married was made by my great-grandpa. Due to some tragic twists of fate though I am now the last surviving male member of either my wife's or my family, unless you count my younger brother in law and most people don't. As an added bonus my wife asked my to build a changing table.

So I had some wood, a bunch of tools, an abstract knowledge of carpentry and a mission. I'm a month and a half into the project and I've learned a lot that I didn't know and remembered a lot that I apparently picked up. I'll post some of the pictures.

Crap, photobucket is down. I'll post the pics when it comes back up.

So I started by going out and getting some red oak. It was a loving pain to try and find any that was over 2" for the crib legs, I finally found some rough stuff and had to cut and plane it.

After that I started work on the changing table, because it is actually slightly more complicated. First I hand joined a bunch of legs. I have this router... thing, but I don't know how to use it and I have no bits with which to play around. So this was done with a hand backsaw on 8 different pieces of wood. Please note the empty bottle of Tums a pic or two later.

I'm going with a low gloss tung oil for the finish.

UPDATE:

And The Crib

More to come.

PrinceofNessus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceofNessus
Jan 9, 2007

async1ronous, is there a difference between the Japanese hand saws and the traditional western ones? I've got a standard little dovetail back-saw, but I almost got a Japanese saw when I was shopping. When I decide to expand my collection of saws I'd like to have an idea of which way to go.

PrinceofNessus
Jan 9, 2007

I looked at some Japanese saws when I was starting my project. I dismissed them then because I thought they would lack control in being so flexible, but I didn't realize that the saws cut on the backstroke. Speaking of, how do the Japanese saws measure up, control wise, to a backsaw?

At this point of course I suppose it's entirely academic, as I'm going to invest in Japanese as well as Western saws.