Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
After a too long a time sitting in a pokey flat I finally have access to a garage again.It took two days to clear out and sort all the materials, tools, etc... but it felt like Christmas finding all the things once lost.

I decided as a sort of challenge to see if I could make a vacuum former and as it happened I found an old vacuum that would give me the suction I needed.

I cheated a bit and found a wine box for the base, used the lid as the former top and got to work constructing the basic design.

All connected

I made a little guide mount and tried my hand at tenon joints, not bad for a first attempt but still pretty rough.

Lots of experimenting later I discovered that the best plastic to use was the stuff designed for the job :doh:. Recycled plastic food packaging had a tendency to go milky and smell ever so slightly of the food it contained.

Had a decent result using some anti-static PIPS re-used from one of the module carriers (It's a Jeenode kit package, the only thing that really needs grounding is the RFM12B module and the ATMega chip).

Still a work in progress, I have modified the bed to be wire mesh to try and get a little more evenness in the former. I'm waiting on materials to create a better frame for the initial heating cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
I've been working on building a tree (adjacent) house for my niece. It's mostly made of recycled and donated wood so it hasn't cost the earth.

Ipissedmyself fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 1, 2019

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
Spent a bit more time on the tree house project. My Niece requested a unicorn so I painted one on the floor for her.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
With the final wall installed I've hit a bit of a milestone. All structural work complete!

There is just enough time before Christmas to get the rail on and fix a few bits that need it.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
Christmas update on the "Tree House" project:

The balcony is on and a few lanterns have been added for lighting. My Niece wants a sofa, tv and toilet put in. I might have to explain to her that it is only a house in name; She is not going to be living in it. :j:

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
I did an art!

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
Got my hands on some nice birch 13-ply so I replaced my knackered old workmate tops with it. The holes aren't a standard size; between 19 and 20mm so I left them a little large for the stops. Hopefully it won't cause a problem but it would have been nice to get them right.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?

Bad Munki posted:

.......like 3/4”? :confused:

Oh well that explains it then. I only have a metric set of flat heads.. :(

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
It's my Niece's Birthday coming up and as we all find ourselves with time on our hands I made the derpyist pinata. It's filled to the brim with candy and as the party has been cancelled on account of the lockdown I think I may well give her type II if she gets it all. It might be a little too sturdy so Dad will have to provide the killing blow I suspect..

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
After a long hiatus I finally mustered the will to finish my pre-COVID wood fired pizza oven. It was a fairly steep learning process and a quite a series of headaches but once I got my wrist in the brick laying went fairly smoothly. Arches are tough.

Bonus action shot! Haven't quite dialled in the optimum cooking temp (as several burnt naan bread can attest) but if the weather holds I'll be able to use it in anger this weekend. Just need to make the peel and the door..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

That's cool. Is the... cement? mortar?... on the outside of the bricks necessary? I liked the clean look of the bricks.

The outside dome is just to keep the rain off the insulating layer and the vermiculite core as pictured below. Someone once said to me that the mortar's only job is to keep the bricks from touching. I'll probably spadge a load of waterproofing over the dome once the weather has cleared.

Apologies, I just twigged what you were asking. The action shot is from a test fire earlier in the construction. It is just the insulating internal vermiculite layer that was subsequently covered in insulation and the final outer brick layer seen in the first picture.

Ipissedmyself fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 1, 2023