Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Slung Blade posted:

I still want to try making damascus, but I don't know if I can get my charcoal forge hot enough. Maybe if I make a pile of fuel 2 feet high and get an 80 cfm blower...
the japanese do it with softwood charcoal, and I've burnt 1x1/4 bar by accident with a bellows and a side-draft with a burnt-back forgepipe

keep in mind that with welding, you don't want the steels to the point where they sparkle, that is too hot. it just takes a large hotspot with an insulating layer of coal around it and a slow, steady supply of air. You want to soak the metal so the inside approaches the same temp as the outside, and when it's the right heat the surface will look oily, like melting butter.

Also: I would suggest wearing long pants at the forge, at least for beginners. Utilikilts may look good (to those of a certain, very goon-like taste) and allow free movement, but I'd rather burn my pants than my legs 10 times out of 10. Also wise to have a leather apron in case of splintering punches or free-flying cutoffs, though I admit that I forget to put mine on most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU