Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

greasyhands posted:

why not just close the blinds at night and have a view during the day?

I'm guessing it's because blinds are generally annoying and he also has a cat that destroys them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

widefault posted:

Built a new desk this weekend.

A bit over 6' wide, 3' deep, 33" tall at the highest point. Still need to make the door for the far end and buy longer cables for the LCDs to get everything where I want it. All 3/4" MDF, unpainted, and never will be.
That unpainted MDF is going to look like a poo poo sandwhich after two weeks of doritos and oily goon.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Here is a relavent tutorial for anyone interested in this topic: http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap/soundcard/sennheiser.htm

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Danger Kick posted:

Posted in AI

We put an fm antenna inside the box, and whenever we power it with something insulated like a car or cordless drill battery we can pick up 15-20 stations. As soon as we attach this thing to an ac outlet and it grounds to earth, we're lucky to get two stations. Anyone have any ideas?

The AC-DC rectification might be causing a lot of noise, or you might have just made a faraday cage.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I found a turtle in the road once and I told pet island and they said

quote:

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING PUT IT BACK STUPID ITS A TURTLE HE KNOWS WHAT HE DOING
So you might want to think about putting it back.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

2 days later there was another dead turtle just not 50 feet from where I picked this little guy up.
That was probably an estranged turtlewife trying to figure out where her husband had gone.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

First Jeep I ever wanted to own...now that I am 29 I am in the process of getting my first jeep :unsmith:

You might want to rethink that bro. Jeeps are pretty consistently the worst-in-class when consumer reports and suchlike consider them. Jeep is the only company with three cars in this list of 11 worst cars, for example.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 27, 2011

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Haha okay well bookmark this thread and holla back when you've owned your jeep for 9 months kiddo. Just tryin' to help.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

pbpancho posted:

I got my digital light wand working!

Next step is to get the Arduino and parts installed in my project box, mount a button to replace having to unplug the battery, and install a 6-way switch so I can load multiple sequences at once.

If that does what I think it does I am really, really fascinated. Is it like those LED clocks with the stalk that goes back and forth and displays the time in mid-air? Where'd you get the idea?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cakefool posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I've got a bunch of switches buttons & lights & I'm going to make my little kid a tardis console type thing, I need a microcontroller to stuff behind it all, turn lights & buzzers on & off, maybe even drive a motor or two. Any recommendations?

I was really impressed with how easy PICAXEs are to use; they've even got built in tone and music generators. That's what I'd use if I was gonna make a lil toy.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Use a transformer to get it down to a lower AC voltage, and then rectify it to about 9V DV and use a linear regulator to provide 5 regulated volts of DC. It's really easy. You've already done the part that is a pain in the rear end.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Dogtanian posted:

Again, thank you. The reaction has been so positive everywhere it's been shown online that now I really want to see it on the shelves. Couple of options here,

Option A: Licence it to an established company with manufacturing and distribution capabilities - the hard part is finding the right company open to licencing that carry the right product line (open to suggestions). ThinkGeek were previously suggested as they have their own 'exclusive' range so I've put out some tentative feelers there but I'm not sure if they licence from external sources at all or only build stuff they've come up with in-house.

Option B: Produce myself, much greater potential reward but comes with a whole heap of risk too and the need for reasonable up-front money. If Option A doesn't work out then I'll probably pursue this further, maybe even go down the crowd-funding route (curse you Kickstarter, why don't you accept non-US projects!)

Absolutely nada! I'll have a reasonable go at most household DIY but I'm a web developer by trade so experience with actual tangible things is limited. The big wooden base holds a microcontroller and a tiny thermal printing unit (hence no need for ink!) - the machine uses ordinary BPA free thermal till rolls cut down to tickertape size, so for each single till roll you get four tickertape rolls - making it very economical to keep the machine in paper. Christ sorry for the essay, I do go on.

Figure out how much money you need to get it off the ground, triple it, and make a kickstarter. If people will pay half a million dollars for an espresso machine I am sure they would fund the hell out of a steampunk twitter ticker.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Problem there being any time you happened to take it to the range, you run the risk of counting anyone in the lanes to either side of you firing as a shot as well.

Sound decays really quickly with regards to distance so it would have to be a pretty lovely audio detector to pick up other guns.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

So..

Should (can) I sand the gloss off, fill the gaps and paint the wood covered walls, or rip it out and put up sheet rock?

Neither one you monster.

This reminds me of all those assholes in the last century that put disgusting carpet over amazing wood floors.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I built about 100 closet shelving units working for my dad in high school and nobody used plywood for shelving. That's a huge waste of money and most people paint their shelving as soon as its finished so they wouldn't even be able to tell a difference after-the-fact.

Unless you're lucky enough to live near an actual lumber yard (and not a lowes or hd or whatever) Ikea is probably going to cost a lot less than the materials you would need to put together that much shelving on your own, and honestly shelves are shelves. I can understand hating other ikea furniture if you aren't "in" to the modern/minimalist gimmick, but who the heck has opinions about how shelves should look? They are supposed to be banal, flat surfaces that exist only to present interesting things.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I like the old doors better, but maybe some nice knobs could liven the new ones up a little.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

That looks great! Is bamboo as brittle as I am imagining it to be?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

This whole setup is super sweet and I may have to steal the idea one day (although probably smaller scale). Is there any plan to make the scoring automatic too?

Couldn't be too hard to process a photo of the board before and after for whites and yellows.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I am interested in the mechanism behind the wicking! Can you post a link to your source for how to build one of these?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'm having a hard time imagining a way you could connect a trimpot to something that isn't a 3.3 volt regulator in order to provide a reliable 3.3v source. I hope you didn't make a voltage divider and then expect it to keep that voltage when you attach things to it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I made a few window-based versions of those when I lived in Texas and none of them came close to lookin' that pretty. Nice work!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I don't see a single mitre on that whole thing. You could have done that with a hammer and a 6 dollar saw. I think you have a serious tool-buying problem.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

For a little bit more you can build that out of black iron piping and have something that won't immediately fail under the weight of a modest amount of clothing. Although even with iron I think you'd need another connection between the verticals.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

There was at least twelve months between the time my daughter started to enjoy rattles and the time she realized she could club us at random with whatever she was holding so I think it'll be fine!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

How did they even prototype something like ninety fuckin years ago!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cover your room in i2c sensors and program a needlessly detailed HUD for your home imo.