Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
I'm not really sure this belongs in this thread, but I am so elated about outsmarting an animal that I'll post it anyway:

I have 3 pet mice. One of them is a little shithead that likes to escape and run around and hide in inaccessible places. After spending an hour chasing him around and catching him (more than once) I decided to make something that would do it for me. I suppose I could have bought a mousetrap but this was more fun.

The way this works you can probably all figure out for yourselves, but nonetheless:

1) Mouse goes in for delicious peanut butter and blocks an IR LED aimed at a phototransistor.
2) Phototransistor output switches a PNP transistor, which switches two SCRs.
3) One SCR is the input to a 555 timer circuit. This activates a piezo beeper thing every several seconds so I know that something is caught.
3a) The other SCR activates a DC motor. The motor winds up a length of floss (cheap but it works surprisingly well) to raise the door behind the mischievous mouse and trap him for good.
4) I find the mouse and revel in my victory before returning him to bleak captivity.

There might have been an easier way to do this but this works OK.

Here is the result of a few hours of work, in order to build a mousetrap that is indeed better:

I made this stuff after the electronics. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Inside view, you can see the LED and phototransistor:

Electrical bits:

With door closed:

The offending rodent:

And so we have yet another victory of man over beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU