Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Made these today, they're acorn nuts for the spring shafts of a custom chopper project. (I machined the front end for it.) These are mild steel prototypes, the finished ones will be out of 316L.

Made out of 1-1/8" 1018 Hex Stock tapped 1/2-20.

This is the front end:

I machined all these components (except the current fasteners/springs) a month or two ago so they are a little rusty. They will be sanded and clear coated soon.

I also welded (err need to finish welding) the sheet metal that will be the oil tank and machined the front rockers.

These are going on the underside of the top tree. Risers will be used for the handle bars, I think this is one design for handlebars that is completely unique. 1-1/8" Hex Stock 316L SS, 1/2-20 threads:

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
LMAO @ calling a Barbie doll an "action figure."

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Having been involved with making stuff (oil tank and gas tank are 18ga mild steel) for that bike I can definitely respect what it takes to hammer stuff out and then smooth it nicely. When doing small stuff like that do you use a micro size english wheel? What thickness steel is that, 20G?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is a story begging to be told here.

That looks really good. I need to learn to TIG. One of the difficulties of working with and especially welding aluminum is that aluminum welds crack like no other metal. They are very very prone to developing stress cracks over heavy use (especially vibrations, like something bouncing along behind a bike), which very quickly lead to bigger cracks, which quickly lead to broken things. Your welds have to be perfect to avoid it, and even then, it is nowhere near as strong as steel. If you ever decide to use it alot again, you might try making all the high stress points (hitch, axles, etc.) out of steel, and then bolting them to the aluminum frame so you get the strength of the steel with the light weight of the aluminum.

You're right that aluminum doesn't like vibrations, but its really not as hard as the magic voodoo that it seems to get a reputation for being.

I actually enjoy tigging steel. Its moderately paced, calm, easy to do and an ugly tig weld looks nicer than a decent arc weld. Tigging aluminum isn't these things, you move quick, it isn't as nice and quiet, etc.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
What does that do? Did you do the machining yourself?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Third Murderer posted:

"1084," which apparently can mean just about anything - it's not actually manufactued to that specification, and anything labeled as such varies in actual carbon content. It is high carbon steel, I know that much.

If it is 1080 steel (I couldn't find anything about 1084) its probably at 30+ Rockwell depending on how you quenched it. Very hard. If you know the approx temps and whether it was water cooled, oil cooled, etc you can look up its properties at http://www.matweb.com/.

You might find that you could buy some tool steel from your local material drops retailer and get a harder knife that may have more desirable properties. (Plus I think its just fun to compare them.)

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
30 Rockwell C is pretty fuckin' hard. It is about as hard as a forged steel crankshaft in a race car. (Depending on a lot of variables including whether you measure at the surface or measure in the center) For comparison's sake a HSS drill bit would be about 60 Rockwell C. They have several Rockwell scales, (A-E if I remember correctly.) If you found metallurgy interesting its really not hard to understand form a "how it works" perspective. I couldn't do the math or anything but just reading quite a bit I know the hardness, machineability and properties of the more common materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

PyrE posted:

The alternator won't work unless its hooked up to a battery. I just have a cheap power inverter hooked up to the battery which makes it into AC power.

How much electricity does it generate? What can you run regularly off it?