Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Well, as my name suggests, I am a blacksmith who works in my backyard. I have been working as a blacksmith for about two years, and apprenticed under Jim Gardner. I live in Kennesaw GA.

First is my coal-burning forge and anvil:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The bucket underneath is what i transport and hold coal in for the day. The black pan underneathcatches the oil that falls out of the hand cranked bellows. My 90 pound anvil is on the left. My anvil is really rusty because it rained the night before i took the picture.

Here is some stuff I have made:

a tomahawk made out of a ball-pean hammer.

A knife made out of a rail road spike. The blade is about 60-62 Rockwell, which is pretty hard. I did a layering of two steels to make it extremely hard without being brittle.

Here is a work in progress of a chainmail gauntlet I have been working on. Sorry for the pic quality, but i have a terrible camera. :(

I have made a ton of other things, and if you are interested, just say so and I'll post more pics. I also smith while wearing my utilikilt.

ninja edit: unlike Third Murderer's stuff, my stuff is not meant to look good, except for a rugged utilitarian sort of beauty. Just to get the job done. Great job, fellow Blacksmiths! I did not know so many goons were into blacksmithing.

:black101:

edit2: pic resizing.

edit3: i am really terrible at using computers. only one click for big. sorry.

Edit4:Think i fixed it!

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Slung Blade posted:

Awesome stuff man.

Now maybe we have enough people here to do a proper blacksmithing / metalwork megathread to stand on its own and last more than a week.

Would anyone be interested?

I would be very interested, but obviously I should not be the one to start it, unless I can figure out this whole image formatting thing. I'm gonna give it another go today.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Slung Blade posted:

Where did you get your anvil? (nice emblem by the way) It looks fairly old. Also, what's with the yellow paint?

What kind of coal do you use, and where can you find it?

The 'yellow paint' is actually rust from it being rained on the previous night. I usually scrape it off with a wire brush before smithing, but this was only a picture. It rusts really fast, as Georgia is really humid.

I use bituminous coal, which I convert to coke, for better results. My dad got 200 pounds of it somewhere, for Christmas. I was using hardwood charcoal beforehand. I am the only person I know who is happy to get coal at Christmas.:)

I got the anvil for my birthday from my dad, who is really into my blacksmithing. The anvil stand is a few 4"x4"s that I nailed together. Wood makes the best stands for anvils; something to do with shock absorption. You can get really good anvils from Centaur Forge, and Anvil Brand Shoe company. Do not buy anvils from Northern Tool, as they are cast-iron crap, do not buy chinese anvils, r indian anvils; the steel is terrible on both. The anvil in my picture is chinese, but I use a russian one primarily. If you cannot afford an anvil, go hiking around your local rail road tracks, as they usually have 1' sections of rail lying around. This is what I used as my first anvil.

If you have any more questions, just ask!

fake edit: Should I open up an A/T forum about this, or is a smithing smithing megathread availiable?