Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bEatmstrJ posted:

Has anyone ever installed a sandbox in their bathroom?

:frog::respek::haw:

missed you friend. whats up? getting a cat or building a bath-beach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well I already have a cat, but a bath beach does sound lovely. Maybe I can turn it into a saltwater bath.

:justpost: friend. :justpost:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just a sheet metal spreader on top and bottom with some tin snips if you dont mind the janky. (i would mind the janky)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drat. I was looking into building a custom enclosure for some subs due to weird new car layout but is it that much of a pain?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Science Goy posted:

It depends on how custom you're talking. If you can do fiberglass then you can get it into pretty much any shape you want, vs wood which just creates endless joints (and endless opportunities for leakage). A basic direct radiator box isn't that complicated as long as you get the internal volume right. There are calculators for tuning a sub box based on multiple parameters, you just need to be more careful when calculating volume since it will be an odd shape.

Ok well its pretty much this, There arent any good locations to mount proper dedicated subs other than underneath the cargo floor in the babbytrunk

underneath that cover there is about 8" of depth

never worked with fiberglass before, and just dont think those small all in one sub +amp setups are going to make proper butt thudding.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Science Goy posted:

If you don't need that babby rear cargo space very often, just build a basic box to plunk right in there, and mount the amp on the side of the car or by the spare tire or something. Use a Speakon jack to hook it up, so it's effortless to disconnect and remove the sub when you need to free up that space.

I'm eventually going to build This BFM cab for my car, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a big box, but it is very efficient (horn loading = loud as balls) and can be built with only a circular saw and maybe a jigsaw (and a shitton of clamps, you can never have enough clamps)

LOL yeah my G/f was not pleased with babby cargo hatch but not sure i want to riceboy it up quite that much by putting a box in there, was kinda going for a clean OEM look which was why i was toying with building something.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spiderjelly posted:

Nothing horrendous. The real threat is fire ants. I don't like those guys.

yeah those dudes suck

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spiderjelly posted:

Pretty sure that makes it all worth it.

i like this guys attitude.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yes please :justpost:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nice

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very clean looking.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Slung Blade also has a thread about building a life in the country which seems alive though lethargic.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264505

is a good thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
needs more outlets :thunk:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i havent seen any long term nefarious projects in here yet... please friend do :frogon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

poeticoddity posted:

I still think we need a KickStopper, where people agree to not do things if they receive enough crowd-sourced donations.

maybe a group of well paid mercenaries who will stop said project BY ANY MEANS REQUIRED

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Trabant posted:

A Deep One or :zoid:?

I got some fancy linocut tools and wanted to make a box for them:

Figured walnut with a shittily-painted MDF insert.

Now I just need to use my fancy linocut tools. Yup. Any day now. :shepface:

thats a really nice box

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i kinda want it for my desk as an implied threat. great looking work there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would buy one

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
looks like that thing is gonna hurt when they clock you in the skull with it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im all about raising warriors so its not a judgement at all

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats gorgeous.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TotalLossBrain posted:

That is a really good project. Thanks for making people's lives better.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
both y'all are some quality craftsmen/ladies

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just in case FL turns into mad max apocalypse and i fail at waylaying travelers or they are too fat to be eaten, put together a garden bed today

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Trabant posted:

The best project :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

a floor almost levelled.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
probably.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

First Time Caller posted:

One fine morning months ago my wife said: "We should paint the ceiling in the upstairs guest bathroom. It's so yellow and ugly."

I'm unaware of how it happened, really, but this somehow turned into:

• We should paint the ceiling
  • We should paint the walls
  • We should fix all the lovely drywall patch jobs the previous owners made when they moved out
  • We should skim coat because the orange peel is ridiculous
  • Lets repaint the vanity cause I dont think that wood color really works in here
  • Lets change the light fixture
  • Lets change the tub and shower fixtures to match the new light fixture
  • Lets buy a mapp torch and learn to sweat pipe because the tub spigot that came with the new trim kit isn't a slip on
  • It wouldnt be that hard to rip out the linoleum, lets put in new flooring
  • Oh wow, there is water damage on the subfloor, lets fix that
  • The toilet flange is cracked, we should repair that too
  • While we have the toilet all broke down lets put in a bidet seat
  • The old towel bar and TP holder dont match, we should buy new ones
  • I guess we have to recaulk everything now
  • Those old baseboards look ugly now that the room looks good, lets replace those and all the other trim pieces too
  • I guess we have to recaulk the baseboards again now
  • Hey we should pull out the one piece tub so we can do a tile surround you have to stop seriously no im done

Here's what we were starting with, sorry for the bad picture, its from our home inspection when we bought the home earlier last year, this is still basically what it looked like although we had a different shower curtain.

"Lets paint the ceiling"

Water damage spotted, it wasn't horrible but enough rot that I felt it needed to be replaced.

New wood installed

Noticed the flange was cracked so put a metal flange thing underneath of it, problem solved. You can see the new flooring too.

Had to make a thingy to pull the planks when the pull bar couldnt fit under the door jam.

After some cleanup and some new decor, looks brand new even though we didn't really change all that much or spend a bunch of money.

Cost Breakdown:
  • $200 - shower trim kit
  • $100 - vanity faucet
  • $100 - flooring (two boxes)
  • $100 - light fixture
  • $75 - multi tool
  • $50 - torch and 1/2" tub spigot fitting
  • $50 - toilet flange, repair kit, tank to bowl hardware, waxless seal
  • $50 - random decor items from home goods
  • $20 - baseboard and shoe molding around vanity
  • $20 - flooring tools
  • $20 - shelf brackets
  • $10 - drywall repair stuff
  • $0 - we had paint, stain, and oak boards already

Was somewhere around $800. Probably could have done it for much less by choosing less expensive fixtures, not buying a multi tool or torch, etc. I haven't updated a room before so big thanks to all the youtube channels that cover topics like toilet repair, plumbing, flooring installs, how to caulk a thing and make it look good, etc etc. There were plenty of vids for just about everything I had to tackle.

man i hope my bathroom turns out half as good as that one. good job

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you can shoulder a bass on a unicycle you could be more powerful than any weird unicyle bro has ever been. i urge you to consider your options.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
bass /= guitar but still a degree of respect. lol the mental image alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you plan on carrying this via unicycle though id shave those corners down. they look pokey