Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Boogeyman posted:

Another handy tip: when painting light colored trim in a dark colored room, put a plastic bag over the paint can and lid before hammering the lid back on.

I was pounding the lid back onto the paint can when the paint left on the rim of the can came spraying out and spattered all over two of the walls nearest me. I spent the next half hour trying to sponge off what I could and the rest of the day touching up the remaining spatters with a loving q-tip.

A trick my dad taught me- take a flathead screwdriver and hammer and knock 4 holes around the inside groove where the lid seats after opening it the first time. That way if you're pouring paint out or wiping the brush on the side of the can, either way the excess will mostly all drain back into the can. Also throwing an old towel or rag over the lid before securing just in case :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Colin Ex Machina posted:

I read somewhere that credit card readers just use normal cassette-style tape heads, and so I figured that it might be possible to mod one to turn it into an audio signal. Turns out I read correctly -- I ordered one of these for 20 bucks from digikey, played with test leads and found the ground and signal pins, did a bit of soldering and added a 1/4" jack, and now I can plug it into an amp. The signal is low but even a small boost really makes it shine -- I've been using a Big Muff to increase the volume so it's clearly audible and it's been working well. The time from opening this up to getting it working was seriously about two hours, which was great.

I'm in the process of putting together an Atari Punk Circuit, a simple two-pot synth. Hope to have it finished by this weekend.

Now I want to rip apart a walkman and see if I can get the head to read my magstripe cards. Also that table/chandelier set is terrific. How did you mate the legs, are those threaded inserts you have welded into the top? I might have to steal that idea once I get my own place :)

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

Cross posting a speedbag mount from the blacksmithing thread because this is a multi-material project. The wood is terrible, I tried to cut a circle out with a jigsaw, but it works.

Are those two sheets of 3/4 stacked together? How well do they absorb the jostling from the speedbag? I ask because a buddy was wondering if I'd help him homebrew something for mounting a number of speedbags onto cinderblock walls and I really have no idea how tough they'd have to be.

As for cutting a circular piece that size with a jigsaw if you ever redo it I'd recommend something as low tech as drilling a hole in the center point and then shoving a dowel rod in there with a piece of twine tied to the jigsaw. Start off with a square piece the width and depth of the diameter you want, find the center by drawing two x's, drill, dowel, then set the jigsaw in the middle of the flat side and have a buddy tie the string on good and tight. What you did looks quite alright though.

This is what I drew up for him. I'm assuming that a circular platform would be preferable to a square one?

The idea was to mount it to the wall using construction adhesive and butterfly bolts.

mcrandello
Mar 30, 2001

Pvt. Benedetto posted:

Does anyone know what that gaping while hole/tube is in the last photograph on the page? I'm ridiculously curious.

That white hole in the ground under the yellowish floor panel by the bikes? I think that's the bathtub.