Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Finishing up a table for a show later this month

Since it's gotta break down for transport i fitted the legs with some quick-release latches, if I make something like this again I'll build them a little tougher but they pop right off and on when you pull the tabs, and hold pretty tightly otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How do you keep a cross-grain slice that thin from splitting everywhere

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Got an open-ended commission for a nature-ey window screen so I did all the invasives and nuisance species of the region. Took like two weeks to make and a year to install, cause I cut it about 1/16" too wide for the frame

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

first try at a resin pour. I'm kinda eh on how it looks vs. the wood inlay, but keeping that design from tearing out was a pain and I'd spent too long cleaning it up to just throw it away, dammit

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Well that's a better idea, I was going to try using ground-up charcoal next since I've used that as a non-bleeding dye for glue in the past. This was all cut on a laser cutter, I don't have anything like the kind of patience or coordination it'd take to do that by hand.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

More laser cutter shenanigans, making a mold positive for wall tiles

really big tiles

Unfortunately something caused a few patches around the edge to fail to cure (bad mix? interacted with the paint I was using to seal it there?) and my patch job came out... lumpy. Don't know how to fix that, don't want to make another mold without exhausting my options to fix this one

It cleans up acceptably in a plaster cast, but that ended up weighing like 50lbs and I'm going to need 30 of these, so for the sake of the architecture and my back I'm looking at making the rest with some kind of polyurethane foam. If I can figure out a filler that adheres well to the foam I'll be golden

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 23, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what do you get for a grill dad who has way more expendable income than you?

I really like doing wire rivets, gotta find more excuses to do them

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hitting the 'ah, gently caress it' stage of finishing where I'd rather start over from scratch than fix the bit of inlay that tore out, so I must be close to done

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've been drilling these with one of those diamond tipped concrete bits, they're four feet across by an inch thick and weigh about a hojillion pounds each, and they crack at literally every other step in the process besides drilling and mounting them. It's fine! It's fine

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deadite posted:

Over the last few years I’ve been going to Halloween craft markets in my area and I’ve been disappointed with what has been for sale, so I’ve been trying to come up with something I’d like to see in the future. As a customer, I settled on neon signs.

I’ve made a few over the last month, and I’ll keep making them over the summer until I have enough to set up a booth. I don’t really want to run a business though so we’ll see how my follow-through is.

I think maybe 20 signs is enough? I’m trying to find some good esoteric/occult symbols that would make fun signs

holy poo poo that rules, I'd be all over that hand of glory one

pentacles from the Key of Solomon might be a little on the complex side but were the first things I thought of, they lend themselves well to anything involving squiggly lines of a fixed weight and are pretty clearly occultic without a lot of other cultural baggage.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 13, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sous Videodrome posted:

2. Materials + Hourly rate * Hours

How much are your materials? If you are honest with yourself, and don't underestimate, how much time did you take to make it? Multiply the time by an hourly rate. Idk what that would be. But $25, or $50.

This is the only way that's really worked for me, although I'm extremely bad at accounting for time. Trying to do comparables rapidly gets into a mess of, well, there's similar mass-produced Chinese stuff priced at the equivalent of $.10/hr, and there's some dickhead selling their version on Etsy for $40,000, and what the gently caress does that all mean for you. But I know how much I can make an hour if I'm not just doing whatever the hell I want, maybe I'll take a little less if making this particular thing is fun enough but it's a good reference point.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

just lean into your Videodrome theater and figure out a little air pump system to make it gently pulsate

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You never answered my message >:(

Odds are extremely high that if people are going into this fair to buy ~$20 soaps and totebags and poo poo you'll get a lot of oohs and aahs but nobody's going to buy your stuff at any price point over ~$20, so there's no point even worrying about it. You'll have better luck handing out business cards and structuring your stand around getting people to take pictures of your stuff with your name and contact info prominently displayed, rather than hoping you can underbid the candle stand

my wife's been watching a shitload of Forged in Fire type stuff lately so I got some knife blanks and scraps from the wood shop and we started putting little things like this together

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 6, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tbh i feel like the ideal venue for that stuff is a merch booth at a metal show. Figure out who organizes those in your town and show them those pictures and clean the gently caress up

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Phantom of the Opera rear end keyboard, the way Dr. Frankenstein would make a spreadsheet

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Commission I got to make four gift boxes themed around the recipients' hobbies: photography, quilting, pottery and gardening

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm experimenting with building a fire pit and not using any mortar, any advice on how to proceed from here?

i think traditionally you light a fire inside the circle bit

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'll believe anything a month ago I had a guy neglect to put any bracing on his temp supports before removing a load-bearing wall, just an assload of loose 10' 2x4s nailed to a board on the floor and wedged to the ceiling joists with nothing in between. pretty sure if we hadn't been there at the time the guy would be a pair of feet sticking out from under what was left of my house right now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jestery posted:

It plays a tune for sure, and wouldn't be out of place in a jug band, bunt I'm not performing with it

IDK why this whips

Finally got this thing re-set. Why not make the prong setting one big toothed bezel I said, no more prongs getting damaged it'll be so much easier I said, it'll just clamp down and definitely not explode whatever rock you put in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah that's almost as good as the first one, nice work