Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've been making some worry bead/komboloi for some mates

It's taken me a little while but I think they have come out great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

A mate of mine and I both have 3d printers and an engineering mind, so we are competing to make the best slingshot.

I looked at spearguns and that German slingshot fella on YouTube.

The influence is quite obvious

This was my first self made design with moving parts
My CAD designs were a bit tricky but Fusion360 is very well made and intuitive.

I had a bit of carbon fibre floating around from a previous project to put between these pieces

I made a small scale version to test fit everything and it ended up being rather fun . I ended up giving a version of it to a mate as a birthday present.

https://youtu.be/F7birzUZ4I0

And I eventually got around to doing the full-size print

And the money shot
https://youtu.be/-zt1GGC8a4g

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Been tossing up making this post ,but hey just post. I'll try my best not to sperg out.

I'l bought a 3d printer a few months back and its totally my hobby.

After 8 months of use, and some hefty modifications.

It broke in a really unusual way that I , and the internet wizards , could not make sense of.

After some thought I decided to canabilise my old printer and rebuild using a different design. Hopefully this will allow me to print 2-5 times faster. With my end goal being a "Hypercube design" which isolates an axis and minimises moving mass

Here is some of my WIP pictures

X gantry

Starting to look like something

Mechanically everything is in place for the bed to move up and down now

And this is where she is up to now, I am just waiting on some steel rods for my Y axis and the rest is just busywork

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I posted this in the 3d printing thread but I figured it kinda fits here aswell

belts routed correctly now, this was a challenge because the geometry and motion of the motors and belts is not intuitive at all

I also made some mistakes in assembly that led down a dead end

Definitely a couple different ways you can attack that problem. I originally used a bit of logic and jumper cables , but the board I have has a very robust way of achieving the same thing with software. This was far more rapid to iterate bad configuration

The dual z axis was a little thinkier because my two z motors were set up nonstandard ly but had to be configured the same as the standardly configured one.

Video of dry printing because I don't have filament at the moment.
https://youtu.be/qNDpBxJHCp8

A photo of my wiring nest that I need to attack on the weekend. But it should be simple now that everything is in the right place and I will soon have the ability to print to self assemble through this mess of jank

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So after getting my printer functional I need to sort out the rats nest of cables and the best way to start is with a proper case.

As is usual with these projects, every freely available one is poo poo and I need to make my own

CAD

and 5-8 hours later

This is very much functional prototype but having something to hold in you hand and inspect makes all the difference to the design process

Jestery fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 16, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Continuing work on my printer build.

She has now been hardened against dropped screws

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Just a Fish posted:

Now i also have a Blood Bowl ball

I really like this

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

I wasn't thinking RC (though that would indeed be very cool), I was thinking a simple toy boat, unpowered, towed behind your kayak (or my canoe). That seems easier than assembling something from PVC pipe, though I might be way off about how easy a decent-sized toy boat would be to find.

The PVC pipe is going to be way easier to work and durable imho

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

That float is very different to the idea I had in my head.

Speaking of prints though, I have printed off a Klein bottle and in wood based filament. The filament isn't stronger and it prints very messily. But that's not the reason you use it.

Some sample prints I've been tooling around with to get a handle on post processing. But like it makes some really nice prints

I have a vision for the Klein bottle and really want to take my time and finish it properly

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

A Deep One or :zoid:?

Deep one, Pon request

Still working on it too

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Last post on this I swear,

I finished off the beads and mask tonight, it's looks swish

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I was pressganged out of my old place and didn't have the time to move furnishings beyond my workbench.

I am still quite time poor and it makes the most economical sense for me to design up and print and assemble in moments of my free time.

Some garden stakes are $15 from the local hardware store and I can pick them up on the way home.

Behold

My open clothes hanger project, Spartan but sufficient

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Corla Plankun posted:

For a little bit more you can build that out of black iron piping and have something that won't immediately fail under the weight of a modest amount of clothing. Although even with iron I think you'd need another connection between the verticals.

Good thing I have very little clothing.

I'm fully prepared to have this fail, and to buy it proper, but I figured it's worth a shot. The ones I have bought have always been lackluster and I have some degree of confidence in my ability, but this is certainly a higher stakes/eventual impact to my life project I have done in a while. Why have a home built printer if you don't use it you know :c00lbutt:

It's very me at the moment.

I plan to tension between the feet and top of the verticals and underneath with some fishing line or similar. And I'm hoping that should be enough.

Planning to document it here over the next two weeks

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Wtf does this mean, and how was that not the first question asked?

press-gang

[pres-gang]

ExamplesWord Origin

verb (used with object)

to force (a person) into military or naval service.

to coerce (a person) into taking a certain action,political stand, etc.:to be press-ganged into endorsing a candidate.

Dang googling stuff is hard

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

No need to be a dick about it. Most of us got the meaning from the context, the question is what the hell happened that you left with nothing but clothes on your back. And a 3D printer, apparently.

I broke up with my ex and the situation became real untenable real fast and I was sleeping on cardboard boxes for a while. They offered to pay my side of the rent if I could be out in 3 days, from a Tuesday. I've had to work, Inspect properties and then move my (admittedly small and culled) amount of stuff. My workbench is my island.

I have like
5 black work shirts
2 jeans
5 Kaftans
And sufficient undergarments

Enforced minimalism is surprisingly cool and good

Thank god for smart phones to organise all that poo poo

Jestery fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 24, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I pass by a hardware store on the way home from work, and I'm also somewhat travel poor(?) So, assuming this works I should be able to come home with some stakes and assemble it piece by piece.

Yes I know it's dumb, but I also kinda need something to keep me busy at the moment.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Parachute posted:

lmao i wonder how this happened to you

Got sick and tired of doing stuff for people who struggle with simple tasks basically.

Having someone be incredibly dependant on you for a couple years might colour perspective.

Fwiw.

I am sorry, that was a prick thing to post. I forgot I wasn't in GBS. I haven't had the best self care available

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

klen dool posted:

Don't worry buddy, everything will work out :)

Thanks dude it's been tough. But I'm positive about rebuilding myself

so far, so good on project wardrobe

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking good. If you find the wood doesn't hold up, you could try again with steel conduit pipe. It's pretty cheap and strong as heck. I used it to make trellises for my garden.

While I don't disagree with your approach , my end goal is to have a clothes hanger, and If this fails I will just buy one. I'm not a sucker to sunk cost. And they are around 25 dollars at the local clothes hanger shop and my time is worth more than that

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Was just having a conversation yesterday about 3D printers and my friend asked "why did they never take off if they are so cheap?" and my response was "turns out people just don't have that much stuff they need to print out". Looks like I have been proven wrong. Given the thickness of the abs that should be plenty strong to start, if you're supporting the cross bar with post and lintel style construction then the top portion should be plenty strong.

Yeah it's a bit of a unique opportunity to use my hobby as something productive. What's the point of having built my own printer and enjoy industrial design if I can't use it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

How does it compare to the old dot matrix printers? Those were a trip. I'm just going to print out this 20 page document, hope nobody wants to listen to the radio or tv for the next 15 minutes.

If you buy the right fans and drivers and parts etc etc etc you can approach whisper quiet. But yeah they ain't silent for sure

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Aurium posted:

You find this a lot in 3d printer info. It isn't really true. It's just as easy to make food safe ABS as PLA. Infact most pure polymers are food safe.

The problem is with additives. Things like plasticizers (bisphenol A is the most recent one to draw controversy, but there are many superbly awful ones out there) fire retardants, fillers, dyes, not to mention impurities like lubricants from the production process that can be in your plastic.

It's just as easy for any of these to be in PLA. Unless your filament says it's food safe, it isn't.

Not that your print would meet standards for food safety anyway. A printed surface has far too many crevices for food to get stuck in. They are, at best, disposable.

Not to mention there is enough lead in the brass nozzle to put me on edge enough to not use them for food stuff.

Put this on on last night.

Hopefully enough filament comes in this week to give me a wardrobe by the end of the week

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Bit of column a and a bit of coloum b

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So update
Project wardrobe is now 50% functional

Pictured is both project wardrobe and the reason for project wardrobe

This is by no means a finished state but it will allow me to have something of a wardrobe and size up how big I want the span

Edit: she is a touch wonky.

My printer has a bit of an issue with warping. Troubleshooting my printer beyond producing these parts is not the biggest concern of mine.

Double edit: :3:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 30, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

A bit of a redesign and a sleep has done wonders and I'm happy for the time being

Project wardrobe V1

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Name post combo?

Edit: guess I can't talk

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I have the odd manic phase and usually direct them towards something extrinsically productive instead of self destructive

Last one I really felt like playing backgammon but buying a backgammon board is near impossible (atleast one that isn't a back of 100 games in one) so I decided to make my own.

Between a 3d printer for templates and some woodstain and fountain pen ink I have lying around it only cost me about $10 , Im quite happy , even if it's not like , perfect

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I got annoyed at my eternal mess of wires and decided to fix the dang thing.

I spent a couple of hours drilling holes and designing brackets to make this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrmZYw8l9eW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1lasl0xw55zg0

Was a bit of fun, and while not terribly happy with the end product, it's certainly an improvement

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

JEEVES420 posted:

We cant have this thread on the second page.

Finished another bowl and I didn't even light this one on fire.

You are like Peter Brown if he wasn't a bumbling YouTuber

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

Peter Brown's willingness to be a bumbling YouTuber here and there is what makes him great. Mike Waldt and Carl Jacobson are always going to make something more beautiful and technically perfect on the lathe, but Brown will do that "I wonder what will happen if" kind of stupid poo poo for us.

While agree with you completely, I confess I enjoyed his Gummi axe thing as a comedy of errors. Which is probably the best way to enjoy it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Did a bleach stencil shirt that messed up in a cool way, was going for an AKIRA style thing

With a printed stencil and a bit of tape and garbage bag.

A spray of 60-40 bleach and water and I left it in the sun with an oven tray under the sprayed area.

I definitely sprayed too much and less spray for longer is the way forward but, this is a cooler shirt now

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Trabant posted:

Friends are having a babby so I made them a rattle:

Copied entirely from this design. It's been a long time since I turned a thing and I forgot how much fun it is, esp. given that I got to use a fancy-rear end Laguna.

Also, I have no idea how big a rattle is supposed to be, so I winged it. Ended up being about 5" tall. The kid'll grow into it!

How lovely and old world, very cool

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

JEEVES420 posted:

Made a couple more rings.

Played with doing a laser etched band all the way around and inlay. This was just a test blank I made out of cherry and the inlay is just a dusting of gold with a clear coat to fill in flush. Now that I have figured out the math for the rotary I am going to play with some designs and better wood. I can't wait till we get a metal laser engraver so I can start doing those.

Also made a ring out of that resin/burl block I made. The pearl and black swirls look really cool when light hits it from different angles. It turns from black to white in some areas depending on how you move and on the finger it is much more opaque. I think I am going to do several more out of this block to sell.

How much would you part with one of these rings for?, I'm looking for something like this and like your work

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

A schizophrenic mate of mine had an episode a few months back and texted me this piece of art(?)

And it really kinda stuck in my head so I called him up and over a week or two we did it large size with a bit of flair from myself

Making the backing

Finished the blocking/stenciling

A few coats of white with a rattle can or 5

And the finished product with my mate

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mofabio posted:

if you're building a CNC machine ya gotta 1) brush up on high school trig, 2) take good notes on what you're working on and why you're doing it (eg 'i am taking this measurement to check that these two axes are square' -- 'this is the table of my measurements' -- 'here is how many degrees it is out of square' -- 'here is my adjustment' -- 'here is my next table of measurements' ...) 3) post pics! looks like a great project my man 3.1) you should build it into a highway overpass and run it clandestinely at 3am when traffic's light, with your police scanner

This but also for the whole project, I build a nice 3d printer but made it far too large.

My next project is shrinking the dang thing down later this year

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've been caring for my bonsai lately and he's just come back to life nicely so I'm attempting to grow him onto a brick

This was my inspiration

EDIT

He has a cute spaceman hat now

Jestery fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 12, 2019

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The Eyes Have It posted:

Wow, the finish and colors on that look amazing.

Yeah, there is something to like, something that is accidentally beautiful and kinda has no purpose

My mother would love to have it on her mantle

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My little garden shelf would not fit my stuff on it

So I spent a morning on the printer and sorted it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwBQBdylVZ5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=pj96ulgdxwtr

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

bEatmstrJ posted:

I build outlets into every piece of furniture where it would be convenient to not have to crawl around behind another piece of furniture to find a plug. Turns out, things that go next to your bed or your couch are very convenient places to build outlets into.

I'm just waiting till I can wirelessly charge my phone on the loo, would be hella handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

coldpudding posted:

I made myself a new backpack to replace my crappy old commuter pack,

total cost was about $2.50 for the felt pads, everything else was salvaged from a skip or kerbside collection,

It is surprisingly comfortable to wear even loaded up to the point that I can barely even carry it.

I also rebuilt an old middle school headset for my brother so he can save buying yet another pair of stupidly expensive yet stupidly fragile headphones :ughh:

As much as I respect the hustle, your work has a certain aesthetic