Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Didn't get as much done on the boat over Christmas as I wanted. Between weather, a 3 month old, and a 3 year old, there weren't that many usable hours.

Was hoping to get started on windows, as it was, the roof didn't quite get done. Maybe spring.

I somehow didn't take a picture of the roof this time out, but it looks big enough to land a harrier on. We built it with a very slight camber, an inch in 8', the dream is that water will run off, and deck chairs won't be tippy.

When we put the engines on, I'll make a proper step by step what we did and why it was wrong thread...2010-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Cutty posted:

That's sweet, my flatmate and I were talking about building a small boat this summer, and took a look at some designs for small houseboats. Did you make or buy the pontoons?

Everything is designed and built from scratch, by amateurs, and all wood, except for the copper plating on the bottom (and the fastners, and enough 5200 to build a a boat of nothing but glue).

The pontoons are built from 4x8 3/4" ply.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

SoylentGreen posted:

Do you have links to the old threads you made about the boat project? I think it's one of the coolest things ever.

Two questions if you don't mind answering them. First, how do you seal the copper to the pontoons so that water doesn't get between the copper and the wood hull. Also, how is the floor insulated and waterproofed?

Archive post http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1494209

The pontoons are held together with screws and 5200 marine adhesive, and that is enough for the most part to be water tight. The copper is mostly for decoration/hell of it, and it is held on with lots and lots of glue, and copper roofing nails, but the barrels should be watertight without it.

In practice, of 12 watertight sections, two of them leak a little bit. However, wooden boats leak, and the lumber is supposed to not mind being submerged till forever, or your money back.
With it open to the elements as it has been for the last few years, it'll get an inch or two in the wells every time it rains, but each section has an electric automatic bilge pump, so 10 minutes with a shop vac, and a sunny day has them bone dry again.

Bonus picture of boat versus Tropical Storm Ernesto:

Cutty posted:

Man, that's huge. If you don't mind, how many people are working on it, how much money have you put into it, and what are the rough (length, width, height) dimensions? Maybe you can make a starter thread and update it when it's done in a couple years. :)
It is one of my father's retirement projects, I come down and work on it over vacations. Probably a bit over 20g's in cash, and a huge number of man hours. But it is something we do for fun, and a lot of those man hours are spent bullshitting, and not working very hard.

Dimensions: 48'x16'xReally high up when you are standing on roof beams with no railing.

Original plan was to be 56', but we got tired of building sections, and some marinas charge extra over 50'.

Starter thread is in the archives, from 2005, though here is the folks narration.
http://reiheld.home.mchsi.com/boat.htm

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 8, 2008

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Project update and cross-post:

Here is the boat during happier times:

A winter squall brewed up, snapped a bunch of lines, and spent a couple hours smashing the boat against the rocks on the lee side, stove in two hull segments pretty badly.

So, I took a bit of spring vacation to come down and help fix it. Each pontoon is made up of six watertight segments that are bolted together. So, in theory, they can be removed, floated out from under the rest of the boat, and repaired. In practice, this requires a sledgehammer, but really worked pretty much like we thought.

Here it is with the forward hull sections unbolted and partly flooded

Losing 1/3rd of the flotation on one side leaves things a tippy. I did come up with a new boat name. Eileen.

Here are the busted bits

Can't leave the boat tipping over like that, so we built a temporary prosthetic hull:

Sunk it:

positioned it:

And pumped it back out again:

Maybe we should call it "Peggy" instead.

And here is what was below the water:

Once dad gets it patched and reskinned, I'll schedule some vacation to put them back in.

Here is the web page with the whole build:
http://sites.google.com/site/robreiheld/houseboat

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Walking Spanish posted:

Handmade bible and folding knife sheath

I'll do a step by step one of these days

Very cool.

It was cooler when I thought it was a bible and folding sheath knife as a single diversely useful item.