Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TwystNeko posted:

okay, finished the LED flowers I was making (and posted in the other thread - this one's still alive, I guess..)

All the programming's done, and you can see a video of what they actually do here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a5QJQNojK_0

I love LEDs + Microcontrollers. :v:

That's pretty neat man. The vase you had them in, did it have LEDs in it as well, or was the red glow in the beads leaking out from the bottom of one of the flowers? Either way, cool effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

As some of you may know, I'm into blacksmithing. I have an anvil, but I lack a forge... mostly because all the loving gas/ceramic places close before I get off work and I can't buy the parts I need to make a proper gas forge.

So, I built a super cheap charcoal forge. Take one stainless steel tub, add a 6 dollar surplus exhaust tip, some gravel, one cement brick, and some effort in cutting/filing a hole for the pipe, and a screw hole to mount it, plus a super cheap 12volt fan, and bingo, instant forge.

I used it to make a long fire poker, because our firepit is a long distance from the benches we have out there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This was Victoria day long weekend for us filthy Canadians, and I needed a proper forge. So, I bought a big stainless bowl, cut two holes in the sides, mounted a 2 inch pipe in the middle and attached it to a tool stand I built. Then I found a place that sells refractory cement, which is like normal cement, except it doesn't disintegrate at high heat.

Here's the little one that I made a couple weeks ago, the original version was pretty lousy, so I cut some slots in the ends and added some cement to improve it. It's much more useful now.

(Click for big.)

This is the new model, partially finished. The refractory cement has cured for 2 days and is ready to be heated.

A bathroom exhaust fan makes an acceptable blower, and it heats the steel very quickly.

This is a 10 foot windsock "flagpole" I made out of a 3/4 inch rod, halfway through.

Here's the finished pole, millscale polished off, and freshly painted.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of hot iron, it's hard to take a good picture of that by yourself. I was really happy with how these projects turned out, it heats easily, and I can get pretty much any shape/size of steel into it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice job on that router table/cabinet Disco, very professional looking. I wish I had your skill level.

I improved my forge over the weekend, drilled some holes so I could secure a lid on it, and mounted the blower fan on a rod underneath the firepot. It's much more convienient to use now that I don't have to line up some workstands as a table to put the blower on.

I'm working on some tongs from ridiculously huge stock as practice (because, man, do I need it). Forge still heats nicely. Shows better at night, too.

:black101:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I finally finished my 2 foot long tongs after loving around with them for days.

I also cut some 2 x 3/4" bar stock and started work on a tenon maker.

I'll be cutting this in half, lining the troughs up, and welding a small spring so it opens like a V. Then I can heat up square material and form it down into a uniform round shape that I can use to hold large objects together without welding them.

An iron tenon is kind of like a rivet, except instead of going through 2 plates, it goes through one. I couldn't find any decent images of iron tenons, but it's like this:

Except it will be round, and when I attach them I will heat it up and flatten the tip on the other side.

The worst part is, when I was making the tongs, I tried to punch the hole for rivet but I guess I was too slow. The punch softened up and the tip spread out inside the neck of the tong. Tried to drill it out from the other side, but of course, the high carbon steel of the punch made my drill bit drift and miss it (also ruined the bit :argh: ). I got it out eventually and fixed everything up, but it was a shame to ruin an otherwise perfectly good hole punch. I think I can fix it eventually once I learn how to temper and harden things properly.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Third Murderer posted:

Like Slung Blade, I'm into blacksmithing.

:hfive:

Man, that knife is awesome, great work. What kind of steel is it? 1095?

gently caress, I wish there was a centre like that Peter's valley near me. Knifemaking, advanced blacksmithing, loving damascus classes by Don Fogg? Holy poo poo man, you lucky bastard.

Take more courses so we can restart the blacksmithing megathread :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I still want to try making damascus, but I don't know if I can get my charcoal forge hot enough. Maybe if I make a pile of fuel 2 feet high and get an 80 cfm blower...

Still, I have a few parts I need to make a gas forge, I'll get around to it eventually.

Please post pictures when you get done with your other courses, I'd love to see them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I made an aluminium frame for my friend's fishtank lights. He's got some ungodly huge salt water tank and needed to put a whole lot of simulated sunlight energy into it.

The final fit is kinda lousy, I had to use some scavenged 20 year old 2" L-brackets because if I had used all the 1" ones I bought for it in a :downs: moment, the bolts would have gone through each other. Unfortunately, it turns out the holes were not symetrical on each leg of the 2 inchers like I thought they were and I drilled them 1/8th off of where they should have been :argh:

But those bars are purely to keep you from bumping your head on the reflectors, so hopefully it won't matter.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Awesome stuff man.

Now maybe we have enough people here to do a proper blacksmithing / metalwork megathread to stand on its own and last more than a week.

Would anyone be interested?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where did you get your anvil? (nice emblem by the way) It looks fairly old. Also, what's with the yellow paint?

What kind of coal do you use, and where can you find it?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm thinking we should start a smithing megathread, I'll type up an OP later tonight.

I've got a Nimba (http://www.nimbaanvils.com/) anvil myself, I'm pretty happy with it, and I just use charcoal in my homemade forge.

Here are some links to my previous posts in this thread detailing some things.

I'm still a total amateur, but I'm learning.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post343747212

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post344118351

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post344863534

Oh, and I have since replaced the way-too-tiny and uneven stump with one that's 3 feet tall, weighs about 200 pounds, and is a foot and a half across. I dig a shallow hole in the driveway when I'm using it so it lines up properly with my knuckles.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

zodwallop posted:

Beerpong.

Wow, that's a really cool table, I love the way it closes completely with no hardware showing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dongsmith posted:

You want to soak the metal so the inside approaches the same temp as the outside, and when it's the right heat the surface will look oily, like melting butter.

Really? Well that's good, I guess my forge can do welding heat after all then. I've often pulled metal out of the fire with large spots that look oily. I'll just have to leave it in longer to even it out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Blooot posted:

Wow man, that is a really nice table. Are you going to clean the ends off so they're straight, or leave the staggered look of the plank ends for character? Either way, I really like it. And that chandelier is pretty awesome too, can't wait to see it done :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's really something Blooot.

If you're going to put something in the tube in the centre for effect, may I suggest something like a cold cathode tube?

The colour would really catch on the acrylic tubing and give it an awesome glow effect.

Plus it would look like something out of star trek :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

groucho posted:

i have been working with molten metal too!

That's pretty neat stuff! Join us in the metalworking thread :coal:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

p0stal b0b posted:

I know Steampunk doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I've just finished building this lamp as a Christmas present... :)

That's beautiful man.

Do you have any others to share? I'd like to see them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is that a fog machine on the silver tower on the right?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cross posting a speedbag mount from the blacksmithing thread because this is a multi-material project. The wood is terrible, I tried to cut a circle out with a jigsaw, but it works.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The bolts I had were just slightly too short, so the bag and the wooden backing plate are currently held to the frame with 2 thin little anchor bolts we found in the garage, so it's not permanent yet.

However, my sister and I both used it for a short time just to make sure it would be ok and it seemed quite solid despite not being secured properly. It's loud, but the impact is absorbed quite well, having 3/4" iron bar backing up the wood helps a lot in the rigidity department.

The wood is just some scrap my grandfather was getting rid of, so I'm not sure the exact size, but 3/4" sounds like a good estimate. He gave me a square of it so I cut it into triangles and glued them together, then I cut the circle.

I did use a screw with some string on it to mark the circle, but I didn't think a string tied to the jigsaw would work all that well, considering there's not really a good place to attach it. However, looking at the result makes me wish I had at least tried it.

Circle or square, I don't think it really matters. I wanted a circle just for aesthetic reasons. That wood one you designed looks really good, nice and sturdy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy hell what a great idea. Nice job on the writing and sanding too, love the leveling legs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What kind of grain? Corn?

Looks like a nice foundation.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nimchook posted:

I think that's really beautiful, great job.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bantaras posted:

Well. the buildings will be very hard to store till next Christmas, but I'll try. I think the mountain will go in the dumpster, but the table will come apart and be stored in the shed. Next year I'll design another scene and use what I've learned on this attempt. This is all coming down when all the christmas partys are overwith!

A lot of model railroaders mount 4 pulleys into the ceiling in their garage/basement to pull a layout up and out of the way with.

You could build a little cover out of cardboard or something to protect it and keep it out of the way.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, I thought 1024x768 was ok now. Especially in places like this where we're trying to show off creative and interesting things we've made. Should we go back to 800x600? :smith:

Also, Kommando, nice table. How did you get the rounded corners? A guide? Tie a string to your router?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh, sorry, I didn't even notice a huge image. He must have fixed it before I saw his post.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

nonentity posted:

Well howdy.

I just stumbled into this thread. Mind if I show off a lil something I have been soldering up?

These are russian INS-1 neon (nixie) lamps.

I am making an 80 segment display using them.

They light up at around 150 - 170 volts.

I am using a sort of array to multiplex them.

That's the first bank lit up, I have the second bank of 40 lamps installed now and I need to get my friend Jer to write some code so I can play pong on it, or display words. Or better yet a .gif decoder so I can animate something and have it display.

Thanks for having this thread.

Edit: Also, here is a desktop guitar amp I made out of some quilted maple and a harddrive case...

I was wondering when you'd find this subforum, and I'm glad you did. You're an artist and a craftsman :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wow, that's gorgeous.

Cedar strip construction?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That testimonial at the end is great. :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What kind of glue is it that doesn't dissolve foam?

I've always wondered what would be best for that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

easyjo posted:

Complete...

Looks good. What's that little door halfway up the wall?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

IsaacNewton posted:

What the hell? how did you bring your snowblower up there and more importantly, why? You should have made the shelve high enough to stow it underneath with the handles folded / chute removed.

Uhm nice job making it strong though.

He probably drove it up temporary ramps.

Those things often have driven wheels.

e: that tiller definitely does, I think my parents have that same model

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That is loving amazing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Consider me interested, that's a very neat project.

You could also post it in the metalworking thread. We're not all weldors and blacksmiths.

There's been a serious lack of any kind of foundry work in the last few months, and I'd love to see a pour documented.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Grave $avings posted:

Unfortunately the hardware store didn't have beeswax for a nice, glossy top coat, but I'll find it sooner or later.

That's a beautiful block.

As for the beeswax, surely the hardware store had some new toilet gaskets right?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He said glass etching cream, so something like this probably:
http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/cream.html

And yeah, they do look awesome. (like awesome slugs :v: )

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Please paint it yellow.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If you leave the basement out of the equation, then you can move it later.

Which may or may not be necessary once "The Man" finds out about it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well, as for the later bit, at least you'll only need one garbage truck to haul it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

You seriously will not need 4x4s. A 2x4 will be more than strong enough. 4x4s will look pretty ugly too.

Actually, the plywood itself will be more than strong enough. Just build it right and it'll hold plenty.

Maybe it's a platform for loving on. In which case, I say make it as strong as he wants.

No harm in overkill.