Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Is it going to be ritually burned once you graduate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat man, those shelves look loving awesome. Nice one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Astrolite posted:

I'm making an RC sub which will hopefully be able to jump out of the water.

So far I've finished most of the hull, now working on the internals.

There's a few more pictures on my terrible blog.
http://akhenthot.blogspot.com/

God drat man, that is cool as hell.

And judging by this :black101: video you posted on there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Bhq-4Oqrs

Even if the sub doesn't work as planned, you'll be able to sell replicas as a "stirring with authority" appliance in specialty kitchen stores.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

Huh. You must be someplace drier than Iowa. 3 foot deep wood without pilings tends to rot out in a few years here because of the snow and rain.

We had a big discussion about this a long time ago. Can't remember if it was in this thread or another. Something about fences I think.

The gist of it was, if done right, wood sunk in the earth can last a long time with or without pilings. Cup shaped pilings can collect water and hasten rot, some soils hasten rot, but pilings that are hollow-cylinders (no cement on the bottom) are really good. For plain soil, as long as it's well compacted around the wood and there's as few as possible air pockets, it will last decades, probably.

Cedar's pretty rot resistant from most soils, provided it's not already infected with fungus, especially when upright. Something about water collecting in the wood fibres I think.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slightpirate posted:

The loft bed got scratched. While the design was good, I just don't have the ceiling height in my bedroom to get the bed up there PLUS have room underneath for a proper desk.

I'm sad.

Pulleys! :science:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

Finished result (mounted the powerstrip to be accessible so I can switch it off when I'm not using it, I have enough vampire power drain as it is, let alone a TV that I maybe use once a month)

CRTs are essentially vacuum tubes, so they have a little heating coil that's always on. When the coils are switched on and off, it significantly reduces lifetime. (Old computers would leave the tubes on all the time, because with that many in play, when they switched it back on, there would always be a few dead ones and it could take hours to track them all down and replace.)

Since you hardly use it though, it's not a big deal. Just be aware it won't last forever. With an old TV, I'm sure that's not an issue though.

Nice work on the shelf :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just a Fish posted:

Holy hell those look great :aaaaa:

kinda feel embarrassed of postin my own small glass projects after that

You shouldn't feel embarassed, because that clock is beautiful.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

sneakyfrog posted:

is a good thread.

I've been super busy the last couple months, I have a huge pile of posting to do.

Mobby: my thread on the tractor is long dead but I have all the images / writeups captured on a blog page:
http://electric-massey.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-begins.html

Let me know if you have questions, I have PMs. A lot of what I did will not apply to your ultralight build but the concepts are mostly similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's a lot of reciprocating energy just centimeters from the dangly bits.

:stare: