Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Like Slung Blade, I'm into blacksmithing. Unlike him, I don't have my own forge yet. :shobon: I did have a chance to do some forging this past weekend, however, at a class taught by J. Arthur Loose at Peter's Valley.

The handle and bolster are still works in progress, and the blade still needs more polishing, but here's my very first knife!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

:hfive:

Man, that knife is awesome, great work. What kind of steel is it? 1095?

"1084," which apparently can mean just about anything - it's not actually manufactued to that specification, and anything labeled as such varies in actual carbon content. It is high carbon steel, I know that much.

I wanted to try something with that Damascus billet I made last year, but I didn't have the time. Also I screwed up my first two attempts at forging a knife and wasn't feeling confident enough to risk my nice material! I might try to find some spare time later this summer for that.

Slung Blade posted:

gently caress, I wish there was a centre like that Peter's valley near me. Knifemaking, advanced blacksmithing, loving damascus classes by Don Fogg? Holy poo poo man, you lucky bastard.

Take more courses so we can restart the blacksmithing megathread :(

I'm already registered for two more classes this summer, one of which is Don Fogg's class. :D

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

Please post pictures when you get done with your other courses, I'd love to see them.

You bet!

RealKyleH posted:

If it is 1080 steel (I couldn't find anything about 1084) its probably at 30+ Rockwell depending on how you quenched it. Very hard. If you know the approx temps and whether it was water cooled, oil cooled, etc you can look up its properties at http://www.matweb.com/.

You might find that you could buy some tool steel from your local material drops retailer and get a harder knife that may have more desirable properties. (Plus I think its just fun to compare them.)

I'm not a chemist or a metallurgist or anything like that, so Rockwell numbers don't really mean much to me to be honest. :shobon: If you're interested in looking for yourself, my knife was heated to about 1500 degrees and quenched in transmission fluid (I accidentally breathed a whiff of this stuff :gonk: ), then tempered by resting it on a hot iron bar - the spine was brought to about 550 degrees this way, and the point and edge to about 450.

There was a brief explanation of how the steel transforms from pearlite to austerite to martensite, leaving it brittle, and then the tempering toughens (or softens, depending on how hot you get it) the material. I took notes, but I'd be lying if I claimed to really understand the chemistry behind it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That cameragun is awesome. :)