Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
Our ongoing project is also a boat, only we live on it full time while we're doing all the building work.

Hendrik is 103 feet long by 16 feet wide, built in 1933 and was used by the previous owners as a hotel for canoeing holidays (and came with 26 bunk beds in 12 tiny rooms).

We've got about ten years of DIY ahead of us, we reckon, but we're slowly doing one project at a time. Currently we're on small improvements before we take the hotel portion of the boat down to the hull in Spring, recoat the steel, lay on new insulation and build in the walls for the two bedrooms, two en suites, and living room.

Currently, we're rebuilding the galley steps because two of the old ones rotted away underneath me, making them a bit hazardous to walk on. So we stripped back the old steps down to the metal framework and cut a new board down to step-size, but haven't quite drilled the holes and bolted them on yet:

And the other little project we're working on right now is an interior vertical passageway from the back captain's cabin up through the ceiling into the floor of the wheelhouse, which will be concealed by a cupboard in the wheelhouse. This way we can go up there without having to get wet or cold or put on shoes and a coat.

We've got the hole cut, but we need some stair steps welded on down below so we can actually use it. Even my She-Ra strength can't lift myself through with a rise like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

goatse guy posted:

I think we need threads from both of you. I'd love to see more pictures and get more information on both restoring a houseboat and building one from scratch.
We had one in Ask/Tell a few months ago, but it's probably in the Archives now. It was titled "Ask us about living on boats" or something close to that and featured our boat and pakchoi's canal boat.