Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

PyrE posted:

The alternator won't work unless its hooked up to a battery.
This is because the alternator does not have any permanent magnets in it. Electricity is needed to generate the magnetic field in the rotor. The voltage regulator regulates the alternator output by varying the current going into the rotor.

Nice windmill by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
He should have just had the capacitors standing straight up, then use a hole saw to make a pretty hole in the case, that is just big enough for the cap.

In other news, you guys are making me get the itch to break out my soldering iron, haven't made a circuit in ages, unless you count striking arcs.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
It's going to be used as the blood to create a horrific railroad accident.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Don't limit you self to a standard trainwreck, there are are lots of other possibilities:

1. The train derailment that happened in the late 90's in Baltimore that took down an internet trunk line and crippled the East Cost's throughput was a fun one. (ISP's hookup with railroad companies to run lines alongside the track, because the land rights they have mean you don't have to contend with any local governments or property owners with respect to running cable.)

2. At railcar repair places, workmen have to lift the car off of the trucks and get under them to do work.

3. Catastrophic locomotive failure.

4. Railcar yard switching accidents, where some idiot actually tried to stop an out of control car. (It's happened, actually with in the past year I heard about this)

5. A train hits a bus full to the brim with BABBYS.

One of these days I will get my model railroad set up. Probably... when someone who lives in this house keels over, and I get an extra room (I kid, I kid).

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot this classic:

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Honestly you'd be more likely to see a scene where work men are using cutting torches and or air-carbon arc cutting equipment to rip the car to pieces for the purpose of scraping.

In most cases, the railroad company will hire up a crane rigging and trucking company to lift out the damaged car to get rid of the car so they can run their trains. Then you'll hire people to cut it up so you can get rid of it.

There was a case at the place I worked at a customer brought a car into us. When we gave them the estimated cost of repairs, they said gently caress you, and then we said well gently caress you too, we are keeping your car.

Some of the parts were able to be salvaged, and my company would be able to install it other stuff and charge the customer for the part. The rest of it was cut up during a slow time and taken to the scrap yard literally 1 block away. (I had a hand in that one :D)

You also better hope the reason your car got hosed up wasn't because you didn't maintain it properly, else the railroad company will send your rear end a very large bill.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 13, 2010

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
OK, someone needs to make a model railroad thread. <3 trains.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
That is really :krad:. Do you have any more pics of the construction phase?

Also, I enjoyed the pic with the 1911.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

SpartanIV posted:

My girlfriend and I built a working loom out of dollar store items for a project of hers.
That is rather interesting actually.

I also have to admit, that I'm genuinely curious how one legally obtains a shopping cart. Did you just buy an old beat up cart from a store or something, and if so how much $ was it?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

shirtninjas posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to make a chuck for it to hold the wood. Any obvious ideas?
Woodlathes don't use chucks, they use centers designed for wood. See picture below. The smooth conical center is used to support the right end of the work in the tailstock. The centers with the teeth are for the headstock end and bite into the wood in order to turn it.

You will not want that motor driving the spindle directly. You'll want to rig up some pulley/belt system for speed reduction. Also you'll have to design a spindle that can accept the taper on the centers.

Do you have access to a metal lathe and basic metal working tools? Without those I would have to label this project as un-doable.

I don't want to discourage you or anything, but I strongly urge you to reconsider this project. Craigslist often has wood lathes between $75-175. That's really cheap in the big scheme of things. If your goal is to use a wood lathe, I'd just buy one. If your just want to make a wood lathe for the 'hell of it, then have fun.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
So what's wrong with the snow blower? No normal person stores something like that on a table unless it's broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I can't give you any cool suggestions, but I want to ask when, how, and where you will be distrubuting the content afterwards.