Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Post pictures, for 10-30$ I'd consider buying one (plus I like banana guns)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Nice, but is the drain spout running down that step going to push out sand or filler? That's very classy.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ron Burgundy, post that record collection! Hot drat! The projector is way cool though, a projectionist friend of mine has a goal of starting up a homebrew cinema that will start with just friends and see where it goes. I'd like to hook my artist friends up with him to do new screenings too.

Torael_7, you're making me really sad I didn't go to MSOE.

Here's some stuff I've been up to lately:

Having fun with concrete, building a top for an ash/oak turntable stand I built (DONT DO THIS IN YOUR KITCHEN! Silica or whatever dust sucks and is bad)

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

A desk, 36" high, black walnut legs and bookmatched spalted white oak top (its huuuge)

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Under it is a white ash pseudobookmatched frame, the top/sides are sort of bookmatched. Didn't turn out as cool as I thought it would.

Had to turn the legs in 3 sections cos they were so loooong and I only had a home made lathe steady rest (roller blade wheels)

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Parts mostly done for desk

Rough cut proper profile from 3/4" mdf for 14" hemisphere, turned it on a lathe

..so I could use it as a mold for vacuum forming two pieces of styrene and joining them as a lampshade

..to make this lamp

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Second ever turned bowl from scrap green white oak

First ever, looks uggo and has a crack, same wood different face of the tree

aforementioned turntable stand, out of an old pallet (white oak & white ash) and a little 22 gauge bent&cut sheet metal to hold the album youre listening to

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ron Burgundy posted:

This is the 'wall of sound'. I started collecting records when I was 15, so i've been going 8 years. These Ikea units don't handle 78's very well so they are elsewhere as are my rarities.

Since I posted my projector I've since retired it for a 'portable' machine that was ready to run and a bit more modern, ca 1960's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8uMwlgJZE

Content:

I really like your Turntable stand, what kind of turntable do you use?

Dope. I've been collecting for maybe 8 years too, kinda lost count. I run a lovely automatic toshiba sra100. Looooove your 35mm projector, makes me remember when I was a kid and my parents would check out a 35mm projector from the city library with films and watch them. Holy poo poo that was great. How much do those run and how hard would it be to get into it having pretty much no experience?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Well it looks bloody beautiful in the end..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ugh I have a huge burl boner. What'd you use as finish, looks very matte (and nice)?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dwoloz, soooo cool. Please keep us updated, a friend's art collective aimed to do the same but make it on a towable base, whole thing fell through and sucked. Love seeing small home construction at this scale.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Linux Assassin posted:

I have actually found that MDF will take on a nice finish if stained and polyurethane- it still does not look like a wood grain, but it does look nice, and the polyurethane finish stops it from soaking up water like a sponge.

MDF is heavy and toxic. You can get nice hardwoods if you go to a real lumber yard that kiln dries their own stuff, or second best is ply. Anything can be sealed really.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

God, hell yeah! Do you have any more molding/curing photos or how you made the seat?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I need some help.

My landlord's daughter is getting to the age where she's aware of alcohol. My landlord also seems to really like me (or, I am a convenient way to offload all his old furniture). Anyways, he showed up at my door the other day with a fancy art deco/70s style liquor cabinet.

The problem is that being older, this has an actual wood veneer, but it's started to chip off on the edge there. I can't even think of where I would buy wood veneer, or how to repair these chips. Any ideas?

Do not remove the veneer, its actually a bit of a tricky fix. You'll need lots of clamps and to make some jigs that fit those edges well to reglue the veneer. Cut out the non-flat chipped veneer pieces into a shape that is readily copied like others said, buy veneer from a lumber source that matches the species and grain, and glue the new piece in (if you want to get fancy, with hide glue, so you can reposition it multiple times- hide glue is a "fixable" glue). Place wax paper over the glue spot then fit pieces to the furniture that sit flush with the areas you are working, and clamp the hell out of them. When its done, carefully scrape the glue and build up a dark enough finish to match the piece. You can practice building the finish on the veneer you bought and comparing it to the furniture.

To buy a good piece of veneer take a straight on photo of the problem areas and print them out 8.5x11, then when you buy the veneer just match the type of grain it is.

On second thought that is stupidly straight grain, if its real veneer just grab any straight grain veneer and patch it in, and use a paintbrush to "darken" any matching areas of grain.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

e n i s h i posted:

I make soap! It's easy, you mix lye water with a bunch of oil & it turns into soap.

The oil & lye is saponifying (turning into soap).

After 24 hours, it's ready to come out of the mold (my boyfriend made the mold!).

Soap loaf...

Cut into bars. The soap has to cure for 4-6 weeks now to harden up before use.

Making the soap is pretty fun, but is time-consuming because there's a bit of waiting for the lye water to come down from being SUPER HOT & also because of all the clean-up. It takes about an hour to make a batch. I've given a lot of bars away & it seems like people with problem/dry skin really love the soap.

I've been looking at a lot of old turned soap and butter molds I want to try to replicate, mind posting a tutorial? Would make neat gifts.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeeow, hot! Post more photos!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I think its an Australian-only term, but definitely used. Other synonymous nomenclature from Hoadley: flatsawn, flat-grained, tangential-grained, plain grained, slash grained, sometimes side grained and plainsawn.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

8ths.

Edit, drat they are 12ths. Weird.

Bahahaha would have never noticed until you pointed it out, nice.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah that looks like the most fun thing, how much?

edit- or maybe how much for the frame alone?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

wormil posted:

That looks sturdy. Link belts come in 4 foot lengths. Putting the motor on a swing arm was my first thought as well.

Dell Stubbs used gravity to tension the belt but then put a foot pedal near the floor to lift the motor to act as a clutch so you can stop the work without stopping the motor.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Sudden Infant, I wanted to get a unit or two of those for holding records but I was hesitant because I didn't know how much weight they hold. In the Ikea catalog they're absolutely stuffed with art books but realistically do you think they'd hold totally full shelves 24/7? I would be stuffing them top to bottom with records.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yep, I've used them, but I need something that basically doesn't look like expedit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Well I'm worried because records are a shelves worst nightmare. Packed tight and heavy.

I had a 5x5 Ikea Expedit from probably 2002 that I got secondhand for free and it lasted 3 moves and I filled it completely full of records, so I have to say while they look flimsy they are pretty drat tough. I just don't have experience with the Billy bookshelves. I think I'm going to pick them up after all, I just don't want it to LOOK like I am a huge record hoarder, so I think I'll get doors. I contacted a cabinetmaker I used to work next to and he quoted me ~400 for a really sturdy 3/4" ply shelf that would fit everything, but I think I'd rather have doors and hanging doors would be additional $/time and be a bitch, so I'll probably go with the Billy. I got a quote from the cabinetmaker because the shop I work at doesn't have outfeed tables or a large crosscut sled (I made the existing crosscut sled and can't unfortunately make outfeed tables because we just don't have room).

Sorry for mucking up the thread so here is a quick project I made earlier this week, a one hour exercise in converting Enzo Mari's 1973 "Sedia" chair into something I can make because nobody sells 2.5cm thick lumber (converted all the units into approximate inches but used 3/4" stock lumber).

http://www.artek.fi/products/chairs/242

Enzo is an Italian designer who is kind of crazy but had some really cool ideas about furniture.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 9, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Thufir posted:

Best Made started out by painting the handles of $30 axes and selling them for $300 to finance-types that wanted something manly to hang on their wall so that's entirely typical.

The axes they used were actually nice axes, about 50-60$ a piece, and yeah, that company loving blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ante, that's super cool but wood grain under that weight and direction of force will also fail. Why not laser cut steel? Send the design out to a local laser place that does steel, that's a neat idea/design?