Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tempo502 posted:

Here's a couple custom electronics projects that basically worked, but didn't end up being usable:
///////

I'm sure I've told you this before, but you sure have a knack for making things more complicated than they need to be. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I hated the wheelchair ramp my house had when I bought it, so I turned it into stairs. I would have torn the whole thing down because there are concrete stairs underneath, but the vinyl siding was installed with the ramp in place. arggg

(Mid-teardown. I've gotten a better hammer. As you can see by the lack of leaves on the shrubs, it's taken me 6 months to finally put the railing on today, but the stairs were -fairly- safe in the meantime.)

The stringers are oddly spaced because of how the platform overhangs the grass, and I'm considering a third in the center but it feels pretty solid as-is. I really don't want to because the stringers were a pain in the neck to cut by hand, since the odd fractional deck height led to some serious pythagorean theorem use. (My neighbor claims to have a book with all this math, but he didn't tell me that till I was done.)

Time to stain!

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 6, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hadlock posted:

Is the last section poured concrete and that's why you didn't tear out the last 6 feet leading up to the door?

If you're asking why I didn't tear out the entire platform, the vinyl siding was only installed down to the deck. Siding is installed from the bottom up, so I would have had to pull down all of the siding on the whole side of the house, move the starter strip down, source some new matching siding for the "new" half a foot, then reinstall it all. Not gonna happen.

If you mean why didn't I remove enough of the platform that the stairs could exit straight toward the street, that would have required some major reworking of the supports. I really don't mind the L-bend. From above, the deck is kind of a U shape now because it extends all the way behind the shrubs.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm trying to youth-enize this place a little bit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SpartanIV posted:

Headphones

And people complain about the Grado "antennas."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I loved that modular shelving+rod stuff. Does that system have a way to do a wrap-around hanger rod? I was able to put together a continuous rod where I can slide a single hanger across all 3 walls.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

landis posted:

That's a beautiful phone. What about getting a cheap pre-paid phone that supports voice dialing and hacking it in somehow? Is there room in the base or is it ballast?

I'm just thinking there's gotta be a way to make it voice dial so you don't have to muck it up with a dial pad (not that you would, it just doesn't match the aesthetic).

I've got an inline DTMF dialpad. It doesn't have to be attached to the phone. Heck, you could dial from another handset on the same line.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nubile Hillock posted:

Just finished building this:

It's a Chinese kit I got off ebay. Everything was poorly machined and it took a bunch of work (read: dicking around with) before it ran. All in all, totally worth it!

Sup motorbike buddy:

We both should've started with coaster-brake bikes. Mines terrifying with the clutch and front brake operated with the same hand. I recommend dropping the derailleurs and shortening the chain to make the bike a single speed. One less control to slip up and kill you.

Oh, and I had to weld the baffle into the exhaust because those stupid machine screws kept falling out.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 5, 2011

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How'd you do the application/molding of the epoxy?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're riding a bike in conditions where a sled is more appropriate than a wheeled cart? Bravo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ropes4u posted:

Thinking about building one of these, has anyone completed such a glorious project?

There are a number of plans and build logs around if you search for "teardrop trailers."

A lot of them are built on top of cheap Harbor Freight trailers, which come with the legal paperwork to easily license them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I sleep with a dental guard. It was $120 to make the first one and the let me keep the plaster positive, but I chew through them every few months. It's either $400 to get a stronger one, or $75 to get new plastic formed over my mold.

Annoyed, but inspired by that guy who 3D printed is own Invisalign, I took matters into my own hands. I found the same soft plastic (Keystone Proform soft 0.120) at $30 per box of 25 on eBay.

Scrap wood, Shop Vac, HF heat gun. Yes I washed it before trying it on.