Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I've been wanting to build a MAME cabinet for a couple years, and this was the summer to do it, apparently. I feel like I'm far enough now that I have some decent progress to show, and that's pretty exciting (to me, at least). Click for bigger pictures.

CABINET CONSTRUCTION
Transporting the wood home from Lowe's:

Cutting out the sides:

Dadoed wood for the base:

The sides and front go up:

Test-fitting and securing the monitor:

That monitor is a beast. It's a 32" Mitsubishi video production monitor thing, I found it on Craigslist for $20, and it probably weighs close to 200 pounds.

CONTROL PANEL
Test assembling the control panel:

THE COMPUTER
Under construction:

The computer is a P4 2.4 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD.

Before somebody mentions how dangerous it is to run a power supply without its cover on,

I know. I got careless late at night while getting the PC ready, reached around the back without thinking about it to grab a cable, saw a flash of light and yelled louder than I have in a long time, and walked downstairs to see what my surgeon dad thought I should do. That black isn't dirt, it's burned skin. At least I'll have a cool scar. You'd think that a Computer Engineering student would have a little bit more reverence for electricity, but I definitely do now.

As far as artwork goes (Galaga is one of my all-time favorite games):
CPO:

Marquee:

Side art to come after I graduate from Clemson in December and have a little more time to play with it.

I've got all my buttons and joysticks ordered and sitting in a box in my room. The trackball is in the mail from X-Arcade, and I'm hacking an old mouse into a spinner. Hopefully, the trackball will get here tomorrow and I can put the control panel together.

Also, a guy a couple streets over was throwing away an old Prospector pinball machine. He was trying to move it and it fell off the back of his truck. I wanted to salvage it, but it was way, way gone. So, I took the coin door :) It'll look like this after I clean it up and Brasso the scratches out (not my picture):

Is anybody interested in a MAME cabinet megathread? I feel like I know enough about them to start one now. Hopefully, I'll have some updates over the next couple days, since I'm leaving to go back to school on Sunday. My goal is to have it at least functional by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Man, looking at Blooot's and RyanNotBrian's projects makes me really, really anxious to finish college so I can move into a house and make things like that. Great work all around.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I wish I had better pictures, but I don't. My girlfriend's sister loves globes for some reason, and I love tacky things. She also likes to drink, so I really only had one option for what to give her for Christmas.

I bought an ugly globe from Marshalls for a few bucks and went to work with a Dremel, some foam, a velvet ribbon, and some crushed black velour.

I really, really wanted to keep it for myself when I was done. It was a huge hit.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just bought a house, and while setting up my stereo I realized that I needed some speaker stands for my back rear surround speakers, but I couldn't find anything in my price range that looked decent. I found these plans and got to work. I added a smaller PVC pipe inside to run wires through, and I think they turned out pretty well.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
This is what my yard used to look like:

I bought this house a few months ago, so I figured that it was time to do something about it. There were two rows of hedges in the bed on the right side, and I'm pretty sure that nobody's touched the standalone bed in years. I was worried about that tree in the shrubs on the left getting big enough to wreck my foundation eventually, and I was tired of the gaps in those shrubs too. So, my girlfriend and I attacked it over a weekend:

Some Moonshine, some Asclepias, and something else that I can't remember (Coriopsis?).

I found all kinds of plastic border buried about an inch below the ground while I was trying to edge the beds. I hate whoever did this, however long ago it was.

We bought some lights from Costco, and voila!

Up front with the palm is some peachy Lantana and a couple white Hibiscus.

All in all, we transplanted the tree and some hedges from the beds up front to the backyard, moved some hedges so they now make an unbroken line to the side of the house, removed all of the pea gravel from the beds, weeded all 3 beds, planted some new flowers, mulched, and edged around the whole thing. It was a ton of work, but I love my yard now.

Also, we epoxied the garage at night while it was too dark to work in the yard. Hooray!

Before, after I moved most of the stuff out:

During:

Before clear coating:

Before loading everything back in:

All done!

I used Rustoleum EpoxyShield with a solvent-based clear coat. I get to drive my car inside today, so I'm pretty excited about that. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. Housewarming party tomorrow - I can't wait to show everything off :haw:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

fahrvergnugen posted:

Nice. I've been thinking about doing my garage with epoxy, but I've never done anything like this before. How long did the job take, what's the drying time, and would you recommend it as a DIY project for a first-timer?

I spread it out over three nights - night 1 was sweeping, hosing everything down, and acid etching. Night 2 was base coat, and night 3 was clear coat. Drying time differs from product to product, but mine was 24 hours before I could walk on it and then 72 hours before I could drive on it. It's definitely doable if you've never done it before - I hadn't. The most important things are research, and prep. There are a ton of different options out there. I went with a water-based base coat, which I was bummed about because I've heard everywhere that solvent-based is the way to go, but I couldn't find any in stores down here. I figured that a solvent-based clear coat would be enough to protect it. I could have rented a grinder to grind my floor down to get it perfectly flat, but I like that it has a little texture for grip. Research is key, though - there are so many options.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

The Human Cow posted:

Up front with the palm is some peachy Lantana and a couple white Hibiscus.

All in all, we transplanted the tree and some hedges from the beds up front to the backyard, moved some hedges so they now make an unbroken line to the side of the house, removed all of the pea gravel from the beds, weeded all 3 beds, planted some new flowers, mulched, and edged around the whole thing. It was a ton of work, but I love my yard now.

Following up:

:whatup:

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Nothing fancy, but I had to relocate a cabinet door and drawer in my kitchen, and while I was tearing things apart I decided to make some pull-out shelves because A) the shelves would be 4' deep so getting to anything in the back would be impossible and B) I haven't really used my new air compressor and nailgun yet. I'm really impressed with how they turned out, since I just kind of winged it the whole time and didn't plan anything.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

McBeth posted:

Something like this will be my summer project. Can you talk about how you did it all? What kind of wood was used?

It's just some pine shelving with 1x3s on the outside. I used my miter saw to cut the ends of the 1x3s at a 45° angle, nailed them to the shelving with the nailgun, and attached the slide receivers. I attached the slides to the leftover 1x3, ran two rails inside the cabinet, screwed them to the shelves with a few L-brackets, and slid the shelves in. I can take more pictures tonight if you need them, but it's a pretty simple project :)

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Finally finished these shelves and mantel for my in-laws. They were adamant that I couldn't attach anything to the stone, so I built a box. It's their job to sand and paint/stain now! Not the greatest picture in the world, but I'm not going to drive back across the state to take another one.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Dang, I didn't know that a goon made Complete Control. I used to love watching that thing go.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Cross-posting from the woodworking thread because I'm very proud of these: I made some cutting boards from cherry, maple, and walnut for Christmas and never got around to posting them. They're my first attempt at cutting boards, and they were a big hit! I burned my initials in the end with an old soldering iron :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Trabant posted:

Hell yeah you should be proud, they look great. What's your finish of choice?

Thanks! I put a couple coats of mineral oil on them and then finished with two coats of mineral oil + beeswax.