Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
That is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

RussianBear posted:

I finally finished a crazy project that I'd been working on for a while. Nixie tube sudoku!

You can play the game manually or run a recursive solver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmOi67PPvs

I don't even know what to say to this. I mean, holy poo poo. Good work.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
What's up, Striped Cajon Buddy?!?

I made my first box drum 5 years ago and recently started a side business selling them. It's been a blast so far. What are your dimensions, and did you do anything for a snare sound?

iwannabebobdylan fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 17, 2012

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
Yep, I had a thread in SA Mart but it got archived during my January hiatus.

We don't do anything with snares except for a loose corner on the front. I've never heard or played one that I liked more than mine, so after about a week of R&D I decided to scrap it and stick to what I know. That tape (and good paint) make all the difference. I have 3 drums with runny lines that I can't sell because I didn't test the tape first.

You should make a Meinl Bongo Cajon copy next. It should be pretty easy to do, and wood-faced bongos are a blast. I play mine constantly.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
I sprayed it, but I'm not going to tell you how I kept it out of the innards.

Your box looks hot. For some reason I just love sharp stripes.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
Really freaking cool. Well done!

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

Holy cow, I hope you can keep it that organized, that takes a discipline I just don't have.

Thanks for the extensive CNC writeup. It seems almost too good to be true, but your POV carries some weight, and I'll keep digging and hopefully take the plunge in the next year if I can talk one of my friends to store in in their garage. My 17'x17' shop is getting smaller by the day.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

ant mouth posted:

We've been using go kart wheels with polyethylene pipe around them. It is less prone to cracking than PVC.

I was going to ask you to post a video, then I searched it myself. Holy poo poo. You people are maniacs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZCZsHJIR8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

Trabant posted:

I don't know whether this goes here or in the woodworking thread, but whatever. This was a huge-rear end project, so here it lands.

Dad and I spent about 6 days on this, based on a design he saw. Plywood backing, poplar boards sliced and glued/nailed into many, many, many freaking squares, arranged in an eyebending fashion. All of it nailed onto the plywood & painted white. The table saw and braid nailer got quite a workout:

What is it? Art, you savages.

We need to see more pics of this, dude. I mean seriously, what is going on here?

edit: ok i get it, but that's pretty boss.