Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
What you want are talking about are peltier coolers, which is what's in that single bottle wine cooler- remember nothing can magically generate cold; so while one side of the cooler gets cold the other side gets hot, hence either the hot side must be vented outside the vehicle, or it must actually be outside the vehicle, if you put a peltier inside a vehicle without venting or proper placement it will have a net heat gain, and actually make the inside of the car warmer.

Peltiers are a good low cost solution to get an electrical cooling effect, but they will require some engineering to get right; it might work better if you combined a peltier with a water cooling system of some kid to displace the majority of the heat outside the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Peantoo posted:

What if I just put one of those reflector thingers in my windshield and tinted the others a lot? Then the solar panel on the roof would absorb/reflect a lot. That would heavily reduce the heat getting in, wouldn't it?

Actually by nature of what they are solar panels do an excellent job of absorbing light (and therefore creating heat), but a 3cm gap between panel and roof would prevent that from transferring through.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Danger Kick posted:

Posted in AI

We put an fm antenna inside the box, and whenever we power it with something insulated like a car or cordless drill battery we can pick up 15-20 stations. As soon as we attach this thing to an ac outlet and it grounds to earth, we're lucky to get two stations. Anyone have any ideas?

Your transformer is probably doing one <or all> of the following:
->Making a lot of noise, as previously mentioned
->once attached to ground is acting as a parasitic antenna and dumping signal strength along the ground line
->you have additional grounded components inside the box that once attached to an earth ground make a faraday cage. <also previously mentioned>

My suggestion for fixing this is to put the transformer external to the box <like a laptop power brick, outlet--120--power brick--12--speaker box> that should solve problems 1 and 2 above, if it turns out to be 3 you may have to make a local ground which is not the same as earth ground to connect the case components to.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Still kind of curious about the "why" and "what about later, when you have to tear it down" parts of the whole deal

Itty bitty house + full size trebuchet == someone else's problem.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

On a house that old you generally have to add a 'strip' process to the refinishing because those hardwood floors used to be maintained via a wax and oil varnish which has now turned into a gum deep in the grain.

You DO need to do this with windows open or you are going to get out of your mind/possible do damage to yourself from your fumes.

You can purchase floor stripper cheaply enough, you spread it on with a paint brush or paint roller, wait ten minutes and then get to scraping it off with plastic scrapers. The stripper is so strong it will DISSOLVE the plastic scraper, but if you use metal it may marr the floor.

After it has been stripped, wait 20 minutes, then using rollers apply a single layer of polyurethane, after that has dried (basically one full day), apply one more layer of polyurethane to get that 'mirror shine' finish. If you want to do it in one application AND have an even more durable top coat you can use marine epoxy, but it is VERY important to have how you are going to apply it thought out before you begin because the epoxy is two part and starts curing the instant the two parts are mixed (Rather then polyurethane which is air dry, and dries in relation to exposed surface area- so will not harden in the can).

As for why these floors were pulled out- it was considered lower maintenance to simply vacuum carpet then it was to strip wax once a year with bleach, and apply wax weekly with a mop. Without doing those steps the floor tended to look kind of blackish, and was vulnerable to water damage.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Richard Noggin posted:

I've always used a lambswool applicator to apply urethane to floors. I would think a roller would leave bubbles.

Humm, it has been more then 5 years since I did it, and I forgot to open the windows before I started- so I may have warped memory of the incident...I am pretty sure I used SOMETHING on the end of a broom-pole to apply it, but perhaps it was a more purpose-built applicator rather then a standard paint roller. I also remember putting it on VERY thick, probably more then 1mm of actual material laid down, making sure the floor was actually level was actually a consideration.

Edit: I keep my house at ~15C during the winter, which is when I did it. I had the vent plugged up in that room; so temperatures could have been below 10C; I may have used a roller but the set time was so long, so much material applied, and my floor so level anyway that it self-levelled to a nice finish

Linux Assassin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 2, 2011

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

Really? I would think you would have used it as a veneer and kept it as thin as possible for cost concerns.

If a plywood lists a hardwood it generally that means 'most of this is soft wood lumber, but the veneer on the outside and some of the core is a fancy hardwood that will look much better and be stronger'. As a result if the difference in cost between 1/2 inch plywood and 1/2 inch maple plywood is $8, then the difference in cost between 3/4 inch plywood and 3/4 inch maple plywood is also $8.

Not to say that pure hardwood plywood don't exist (and a suitably expensive as a result), they are just not the norm.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Isaac Asimov posted:

I'm new to this whole area of SA, wow.

I want to make some wooden rings and bangles for my girlfriend while she's on vacation but I don't have the right tools. I have a lovely carving tool/knife from a hobby store but I mostly use my Benchmade fold-out because of the sharp serrated section. Anyone have tips on mid to high quality wood carving tools for blocks you can more or less fit in your hand?

#1- Don't use anything serrated.

#2- Get a SELECTION of high carbon (but not carbide) knives; they can all be identical; grip and blade thinness are important, size less so, but to prevent a lot of self stabbing/cutting long thin knives like fillet knives or juliennes are idea, since you can have your fingers well away from the other side of the blade when working and won't have it suddenly poke through the workpeice into you..

#3- Get a SELECTION of files (round and flat), rasps and sandpaper- ideally in progressive increasing grit.

#4- Get a SELECTION of sharpening stones, going from coarse to very fine; get good at sharpening.

#5- Work on good wood, you will be able to put detail into a good block of hardwood that would be simply impossible in soft pine.

#6- Have a good polyurethane and stain handy before you start, the longer that finished shaved wood is exposed the air the more of a dark colour it will take on.

Don't use any knife for more then ten minutes of shaving, set it aside after ten minutes and grab the next sharp one, repeat until you are out of knives, then sharpen them all, then repeat.

Do not try to get to the final form by knife shaving, use your files, rasps and sandpaper for getting final form, only get to the rough by whittling, then get to the final finished form by your progressively increasing sand grits, once your done sanding quickly wipe it off with a wet, or tacky, cloth and immediately apply sealer (polyurethane does great; some will darken, others will simply make it look wet, some are effectively invisible, choose what looks best- I often prefer high gloss non-darkening).

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Blistex posted:

Hmmm, search function must be down. Two Ghostbuster references and Boomerjinks hasn't spammed this thread with his car.

Content:

When I was three my father made a rocking horse for me out of scrap cedar. I loved that thing and would wear out the carpet from my excessive riding. Fast forward 12 years and mom was having a yard sale. She put the rocking horse out on the lawn and $5.00 later it was gone. Fast forward another 10-12 years. I'm driving along a street three hours from where I live and I see something out of the corner of my eye. It's that rocking horse. Some people said they picked it up at a yard sale a few streets over, and those people had picked it up off the curb an hour before the garbage truck rolled up. It had been sitting on their porch for a few years and looked pretty bad due to a few winters and a lot of sun.

I told them that it was actually my old horse and they were a little dubious. I told them to wait a second and had my wife dig up the photos from the album I had scanned and she emailed it to me on my phone. The people couldn't believe it and sold it to me for $5.00

I decided that I would fix it up, repaint it, and put it in the the living room of my new house. What's even more amazing is that the old paint was still in my parents basement, and it was still good! I used the exact same paint from ~22 years earlier that my dad had used to paint it.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to ride this thing. . . once they're born that is.

I am impressed by the build and finish quality that would allow cedar to survive that tale of use, wear, abuse, and neglect- congrats on getting your rocking-horse back.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Iskariot posted:

Yeah, I'm wearing a mask and various other protection gear more frequently nowadays as most of this stuff will probably kill you in the long run. Those dry, white boogers you get from sanding drywall probably means your lungs are covered in it too. Maybe the stuff itself isn't dangerous but I'm pretty sure that poo poo isn't healthy.

I've been meaning to hunt down a good mask with detachable filters but the selection is pretty slim in the regular shops here. Anyone got any good recommendations? Something that's meant to last and I can find filters for a couple of years down the line.

Get ANY mask with protruding 'pod' filters; buy a stack of dusk masks; zip tie those over the inlets of the pod, change regularly. For bulk dusts this will do you just fine, the activated charcoal is only for reactive compounds, and the pleated prefilter is basically just dusk mask material but spread out over more area so that they don't clog as quickly. Also many masks out there use standard prefilters and charcoal filters (and are generally held inside a pod) so try to get one of those instead of one that uses a custom combined prefilter/charcoal.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

The filters are sealed from the factory. When you open the filters and use them after you are done seal them back up in a zipper baggie, or vacuum pack if you can. It will make the filters last longer.

That's only for the activated charcoal though; which only comes into play if you are dealing with volatile chemicals, wood dust and drywall dust just use the cotton pleated filter. This is also why if the charcoal and pleated filter are separate it is better, because you could keep the charcoal in its factor sealed package until needed and go through dozens of pleated filters in the meanwhile.

Though if you are VOC sensitive (like my wife) activated charcoal is awesome even with acrylic paints. If you are adventurous and you prefer filtering but won't DIE if the filter fails you can actually buy bulk aquarium activated charcoal (or even make you own) open up the pod and replace. If you will die if your filter does not work DO NOT TRY THIS!

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Sun Dog posted:

I don't know from disc brakes, but I saw these while browsing DealExtreme and thought of you: ZOOM Hollow-Out Bike Bicycle Mechanical Disc Brake Line - Red + Silver
Price: $49.10 free shipping
It looks like a pair, too, not just one.

I like dealextreme and all, but I'm not sure I would want to have my life depend on one of there products.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Depending on what kind of surface you want, you can get nice plywood for a desktop, or if you want something more heavy duty (i.e. heat and somewhat chemical resistant, etc.) you can get melamine-covered MDO or particle board. If you were to buy a desk at office max or similar, you'd probably find it to be veneered particle board, which is also a perfectly reasonable option.

Aside from the dustiness, MDF just wouldn't make for a very nice surface without a bunch of extra work--sealing it with multiple layers of thinned glue, priming, painting, yadda yadda, at which point you might as well just use something nicer in the first place (nice ply, melamine, or veneer.)

Also, there's a woodworking thread, you can get good wood working materials info there as well. :)

I have actually found that MDF will take on a nice finish if stained and polyurethane- it still does not look like a wood grain, but it does look nice, and the polyurethane finish stops it from soaking up water like a sponge.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

High powered lasers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

DahtBard posted:

Recommendations on a place to buy servos? We've looked around at various hobby stores, but we're not quite sure yet. The use of it is kind of interesting. I'm on my school's Baja SAE team (race dune buggies), and for the first time we have someone who is wheelchair-handicapped. We want to make sure everyone can drive (always a yearly goal), so obviously a physical pedals won't do it. We think the basic solution is going to be rigging up some racing bike-esque brakes handles to use as throttle/brake. They'll control a thumbwheel pot which some small chip (they want to use Arduino but I'm leaning towards a smaller AVR) will send as a reading to a servo, which'll actually move the throttle switch. It really doesn't need that much torque, as the physical resistance is fairly low, but the thing needs to be able to handle a Baja race. We'll secure it down as best we can, but at the end of the day there will be some jostling. Any suggestions?

Do not use servos.

Installing a throttle cable to a motorcycle handle and placing that on the steering column will provider greater more tactile control of acceleration; you could get a throttle locking handle to provide an ability to maintain speed through turns, and put a second handle on the other side that has a similar cord going to the brakes. It also removes the possibility of run-away acceleration due to a bad bit of code, pot crack, or other electronic issue.

Then everyone else can also steer the racer like a pirate ship too!

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Blistex posted:

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the table saw and how's it holding up. I've heard mixed reviews on King Canada stuff. Mostly that it's either great or crap.

The issue with King Canada is that they MAKE great stuff, but they also buy and relabel a lot of there products; the relabelled stuff is understandably mixed bag. The stuff they make is generally quite heavy, and sturdily built but lacks any bells and whistles. It often feels like an imitation of an equivalent other brand.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Fooley posted:

Ahh yeah you're right. A quick search and it looks like they sell them just like the regular movements in Michaels. I never really look in that section and didn't think they sold ones with pendulums for some reason.

Also as long as you are willing to go big for the movement a chain weight pendulum escapement and movement are actually not impossible to build and can be done with nothing more then a gear cutting template, some wood, a scroll saw or bandsaw, and a lot of patience.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

notsoape posted:

We don't have the brand red devil here, but it was regular lye bought from a soap supply website. And yup, I'm being extremely careful - labcoat, goggles, gloves, trousers, socks & shoes when handling the lye and a separate set of pans etc used only for soap making - never food :)

You should make some lutefisk in those pots and pans just so that you can tell people 'yea, I cook in those too'.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Plasma1010 posted:

This is really awesome and would work well with my sealing mason jars when I am trying to keep tea warm. I'm thinking it might be more effective with just the pure flame on the cup itself, or with a thinner piece of metal ? Is it aluminum ? I think you would def. want to cap the top though if you want it to warm faster, looks like it would take forever otherwise.

Flame directly on cup would be bad because even a tea-light candle's flame is rather hot, enough to melt glass in fact. However the heat is rather 'spot' heat, so any diffusion with a good conductor (like an aluminum plate) will give you even heating to an area (perfect for warming coffee rather then breaking cups, or melting a hole in the bottom of a mason jar).

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Pagan posted:

I've been doing some leather working, and been having fun with it.

http://warhams.dangerbearing.com/images/Leatherwork/Leather-2318.jpg

I tried making a cellphone case. Turned out alright, but unfortunately it's such a snug fit that it's hard getting the phone out. Not too much of a problem when you're holding the case in your hand, but it wouldn't be practical once it's on your belt.

This is my second attempt at a pouch of some sort. The size is kind of random; it's actually based on a big scrap that I had, and the biggest rectangles I could cut out of it and have even edges. I'm very pleased with this one.

I've done some bigger projects, but these small quick ones are fun, fast, and rewarding. I learn just as much from something small, and it's much less waste if it doesn't turn out compared to a big project.

Leather stretches; if you make up a wooden block about 5% larger then the cellphone in every direction and then shape a 'wedge' into the front of the wood (so that you can force it in), you can jam it in there and then work some oil into the leather from the outside while warming it up, and it should expand to be tightly gripping the wooden block and therefore just adequate for the cellphone.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

DethMarine21 posted:

I get what you are saying, I had the same idea too but like I mentioned I am just wary of using any sort of slide contacts in an environment where they could be easily affected by contaminants like dirt, oil, burnt powder, etc. Also airsoft guns have tiny followers (if any) and almost no room in the magazine to install anything, so I put that idea in the back of my head for now.

Inputs wouldn't be an issue, since reading the amount of rounds from the magazine would remove the need for the two BCD rotary switches and free up 8 inputs. I don't know if I'd trust 8 slide contacts on the side of a magazine though. I suppose a small converter chip could be installed in the magazine itself, then you would only need two contact for + and - power, plus however many for whatever interface it is converting to, like two for I²C.

Its an air-soft AEG, why don't you just drill a hole/put a shiny sticker in/on one of the action gears and put an optical sensor in there, just count rotations with near 100% accuracy minimal actual electronics added to the gun itself. You could then put a reset button on magazine seating to make it reset.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

DethMarine21 posted:

This project was designed with real firearms in mind; attaching it to an AEG was a kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing to maybe stress test by putting a million rounds on it to see if any issues came up.

Well with a real firearm a sound sensor would do just fine. A simple pickup tied to your round counter should be more then accurate enough to count even fully automatic of .22 rimfire without missing any- you will have to play with the thresholds to make sure you are only counting the loudest part of each shot.

That would also likely work with the airsoft system, but airsoft is so quiet by comparison to an actual firearm it would require a lot more tweaking and it might count ambient noises as a 'shot' in a loudish environment.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Problem there being any time you happened to take it to the range, you run the risk of counting anyone in the lanes to either side of you firing as a shot as well.

As Corla Plankun said; this is a non-issue.

Say you have a pickup where the pezio puts out a maximum of 1 mv (worked example; you won't ever see numbers likes this from an actual pezio pickup), you tune your circuit so that the loudest part of the shot hits that 1mv spike- even if you were to put another firearm DIRECTLY ON TOP (as in physically touching) of the firearm with the sound sensor you would only see perhaps 500uv spikes form its shots.

The firearm in the next lane would be generating in the tens of nanovolts range, if it even had enough force to charge the pezio at all.

Another great way to put this into perspective is- how often do you hear a guitarist on stage have their guitar pick up the string plucks from the guitar next to them, or the voice of the crowd (Hint: Never).

Edit: Thinking about it, there might be false positives on a pickup if say- this sensor was on and tuned for a .22lr rifle, and a .50 rifle was being fired within say, 1cm of it (or physically touching it). Or if the firearm were being shot with a larger total energy round (So again, if you have a .22lr rifle; and you shoot and hit it with a .308; that will likely generate a false positive; it will also likely destroy the mechanism, and the rifle). Now I bring this up only because; say you have this system tied to a 5.56 rifle system that also features an under-barrel shotgun loaded with either a heavy buck or solid slug. In that scenario firing the shotgun may (and only may) trigger a false count for firing the main weapon. It is still predominantly a non-issue, but 5.56 rifles with under-barrel shotguns do exist and they may be poor platforms for a pickup based system.

Linux Assassin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Just completed my most recent project: An animal trap.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Building-a-low-pressure-humane-animal-trap

Linux Assassin fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 8, 2013