Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Do you use that tiny anvil to hammer the tiny armor?

...because that is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Not a current project, but I just caught up on the thread and saw a few of these, so I wanted to mention that I made the original Break in Case of Zombies Kit:

I never watermarked that image and you can find it all over the blogs, fake motivational posters, etc. One of my proudest moments, though I've been FAR outstripped by the ingenuity of others using the same idea. This original kit was a dollar-store shadowbox, a spray-painted squirt gun, and the lettering was printed on photo paper and stuck to the glass using the natural tackiness of the ink.

I since moved on to some hand-made ones:

These were made by screwing pine 1x2s to the back of existing picture frames and cutting MDF backing with a handsaw (no woodshop :() and painting it. The vinyl lettering is done by our very own stormrider.

I also made a bunch of these out of First Aid Kits from the dollar store (sadly, they ran out of clear ones and only have opaque green now):

Also, this, which is...a smoke alarm with a big vinyl Z on it. And custom packaging.

It's nice when you can combine your fixations with your love for do-it-yourself crafts.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Cakefool posted:

Oh hey, you inspired the wedding present I made for a mate, back on page umpteen

Good man.

That's what I saw that made me think to post it. I'm glad such a simple starting step inspired so many really cool projects, and while I'm sure other people would have had the idea, a lot of them say they saw that first image up there and it gave them the idea, so I'm trying to lay claim to it where I can.

Also I still have that lovely Xbox racing wheel if anyone wants it!

madlilnerd posted:

Man, I want a house full of zombie stuff... :(

Almost all of the Zomb-Aid kits and the Z-Alarm were done as gifts, and the 3 "new" kits were sold on SA-Mart. My original "Break Glass" kit fittingly broke when I moved, so I currently don't have any of this stuff on display. Just an excuse to make more, I guess.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

I decided to turn an airsoft shotgun into a replica of the shotgun from Bioshock.

The original, with pair of scissors for reference. It's probably half-scale or so from a regular full-size shotgun. I did not know this when I ordered it. :(

Replaced the barrel with PVC pipe and used Apoxie Sculpt to cover up the tacticlol rail on the top.

Sanded and smoothed the Apoxie, shortened the forestock.

The basics of trim. Barrel detail, gears, trigger latch, gas canisters and piping. A hodge-podge of popsicle sticks, doweling, apoxie sculpt, empty CO2 canisters, solder wire, and cut-up cans of Monster energy drink.

Painted up with fleck silver Rustoleum and brown Krylon for the "wood" parts. Testors gunmetal green for the tanks and copper for the piping. Gold accents came a little later. Then, my favorite part: WEATHERING.

Weathered gun next to stock original for reference.

Some limitations of skill, size, and materials kept it from being 100% accurate, but I feel I captured what I was going for and am pretty pleased with the end result.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Juriko posted:

This makes me wish I had taken pictures of my quickly constructed little sister syringe from last year. I recently tore it apart to fix a leak in the adam bottle, and to improve the handle assembly which I had forgone in my rush to complete it, but it turned out drat good. I got a lot of compliments on it. I made it to adult scale too, so the thing was pretty long and intimidating.

Yeah, I actually made one of those too:

1929 (I think?) gas pump handle with PVC coupling, dowel needle, screws for embellishment, then some little bottle I got at World Market, a toilet gasket and rubber bottle nipple. Anything looks good if you weather it enough! Shadow makes it look like the needle comes out crooked but a shitload of expanding foam made sure that was NOT the case. Did you know that stuff stays on your fingers forever? And turns black if you don't get it clean soon enough? Wear gloves, kids!

hey cat give me all your cat adam

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Juriko posted:

Yah, Mine was all pvc, and I used a mason jar as the adam container so it was huge. I did some scale measurements and it was obviously not 1-1 or anything, but it looked pretty drat close compared to most of the ones I had seen as far as scaling up goes. The down side is that it confirmed what I always thought; little sisters must have some beefy forearms because holding anything that top heavy takes a lot of effort. Even after I counterweighted the PVC the jar still wanted to torque the hell out of my hand.

Did yours glow? I sealed off a ultra bright LED flashlight in the base of mine with a lot of teflon tape and a ton of silicon caulc, and created this weird double helix tissue looking thing to float through the to make the jar more interesting. Looked creepy as hell.

It was also like 3 feet long which made it a bitch to carry. I had to take the needle out eventually. I am using it again this year but remaking the handle assembly and adding a bunch of details to jazz it up a bit.

Nah, I didn't end up going with any glow since it's currently just sitting on a stand in my living room. My girlfriend wants to go as a Little Sister for Halloween, so maybe for that I'll break up some glow sticks or something.

I got the idea from Volpin Props and he went whole hog with machining stuff, adding LEDs and whatnot. I'm nowhere near that skill level, though.

My coupler is a piece of PVC pipe that miraculously wedged tight onto the hexagonal cap on the back of the pump handle, and then I found a bottle whose cap fit perfectly inside that. It was basically me wandering around Home Depot finding pieces to smash onto each other and going "a little JB weld/hot glue and this will work perfect!"

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Just a quicky: I've got a white veneer knock-together desk and I wanted a monitor shelf. I had my monitor on a wire rack but it sagged so bad I had to use a cigar box and the special edition DVD of Total Recall to hold it up:

So I went to home depot and bought a prefab white shelf and some door-stoppers. Assembly took about two minutes (or would have if one of the stoppers didn't twist loose from its mounting screw, hence the clamp and some JB Weld)

Voila! Easy-peezy. Uniform height without any need for precise cutting, and built-in rubber feet. The perfect shelf!

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

You can also get pens or sticks of the glass etching cream which make detail work a lot easier. Bonus: they double as complete douchebag tools; people around here love to throw up their lovely tags on business windows with loving etching cream.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

As a note we have a composting toilet at a camp out in the woods and it really doesn't smell at all. It's completely indoors in a relatively warm building and if it smells like anything it's musty wood chips.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Panzerschwein posted:

It's a T-shirt design from shirt.woot.com. You could buy the actual shirt, cut it out, and put it over the dream catcher. (If the shirt design is not too big.)

The wolves were way more awesome, but you already ruined them.

I actually have this shirt and it turned out to be too small, so I would totally sell it at cost for a cool project (I bought it on the day at $10, it'd be $15 to buy one now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Flaggy posted:

I have no idea either why someone would cover up this beautiful floor. I think the plan is to go darker though on the stain so I might end up doing all of it at once in a mad strip, sand, varnish weekend. Sleep in the kitchen or something.

You might want to consider a hotel. I lived in a basement apartment and my landlady did the strip/sand/stain on the apartment upstairs all in one weekend, and the fumes from whatever the hell she used made everyone in my apartment nauseated and headachey. Though I think she left the windows shut. :rolleyes: