Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I stayed up all last night sewing a custom band for my new Seiko watch.

The original plan was to make the backing band of leather, but WalMart's craft section didn't have any and there weren't any suitable old boots at the Goodwill. Stupid small town with no Hobby Lobby.

I did get the overstraps (a pair of Timex 10mm women's ones; if you do this, open the packages and compare lengths in the store -- they're not meant to be used in tandem, so the lengths aren't uniform), though, and I wanted it now, so I spent all last night sewing the backing band out of some twill suiting I had laying around. It looks so good I'm not sure if I even want to redo it in leather. It's a hair over 2" wide, and the ends meet perfectly on the other side, the latter happening purely by coincidence -- I meant them to overlap a bit, but forget about the seam allowance.

The edge stitching on the main part is black embroidery floss; everything else is fastened with Oxford Grey thread to match the fabric (mainly because I ran out of the heavy stuff). There's a bit of midweight canvas between the two layers of the backing band to give it more stiffness.

Note the snap between the straps that holds the whole thing together while I fasten the straps. It's really hard to get on without that, with three straps all trying to go in different directions.

I got "long" straps on the reasoning that the regular ones in this width are made for tiny girly wrists; turns out I have tiny girly wrists. I use the 3rd or 4th-smallest hole out of 8 on these.

Unfortunately WalMart didn't have any straps with stainless buckles, so the buckles don't match the watch.

Original plan sketch drawn up back in July or so when I first decided to get this watch.

The leather MkII version will include a molded-over-the-watch protective cover attached by snaps. I'd make one for this version, but I don't think it'd work as well in fabric.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Angryboot posted:

Don't use anything fancy like the english wheel or lathe either; I just hammer-raise everything on mini t-stakes.
A tiny doll action-figure-scale English wheel would be the most awesome tool ever. And would probably still somehow crush your thumbs.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I did my patriotic duty the other day, and spent part of my Economic Stimulus money on a new Dremel (I've had one for ages, but the switch was getting flaky so I left it to my brother when I moved out). Then I couldn't think of anything to do with it. So I looked around my desk, found a USB stick and a toy that came free with a pack of batteries, and combined the two.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I was bored and depressed earlier this evening, so the wife suggested that building something might cheer me up. We went out to the garage with its inadequate workbenches, scrounged up some scrap lumber -- a 7' board of 1"x8" tongue-and-groove, the railing from the top of a bunk bed, a 6' 4" post that had rotted out of our fence (all of which came with the house), and a 4'x16" sheet of steel. This happened:

:unsmith:

I screwed one piece of the bed rail to the studs, and that's the other between the legs on the front, then cut the 1x8 into 16" pieces to support the top. I'm no cabinetmaker, but it's sturdy enough considering it took an hour and a half to build out of stuff I had on hand, and I'll eventually go buy a bit of 3/4" plywood for the top, and some 2x4s to reinforce it and add a shelf.

(Edit: yes, I used the angle grinder and a 60-grit flap wheel to adjust some crooked cuts. Like I said, I'm no cabinetmaker.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 4, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Circus Pies! posted:

I could make one with a chair so my kids are the weight! :haw:
Make one with two chairs so you and your spouse are the weight, and threaten to launch the kids! :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Scientist posted:

What if you had the tennis ball standing still on like the end of a thin diameter pvc pipe that extends straight up so that when the arm gets to the zenith of its arc it whacks it like a tennis racket?
I think that would have the same problem as the current solution. He's letting go of the ball too late, perpendicular to the ground. Ballistics/gravity is a bitch at low velocities. You want to release it while there's still a bit of upward motion to it, hence why it's so hard to fine-tune a sling -- there's a sweet spot between firing it straight up and firing into the ground. Use a shorter cup, or maybe prop up the front of the frame so the arm stops still angled back a bit. The latter might even be a fun science project to do with the kids -- add a shim, measure throwing distance, repeat until you find best angle.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I didn't feel like mowing the lawn today, but I did want to putter around in the shop, so I ended up making a thing to hold my phone in the car (for navigation, video, aux music input, etc):

I've had the scraps of plexiglass and the idea for awhile but never got around to actually making plans or anything. So I just traced the phone and marked off the plug holes on a piece and went for it with a Dremel, a butane torch, and a bench vise. It's not the prettiest, and it's a little burnt around the edges, but it works.

Edit: draw up plans or at least notes for something like this if at all possible. I scrapped two half-cut-out ones before I remembered where I wanted the clamping bits to go, and then I at first bent all the tabs the wrong way -- it worked fine, but held it upside-down -- :saddowns: , but I was able to bend it back.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 1, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I was broke last week and a friend offered to loan me $50, and when I told her I'd be unlikely to actually pay back a loan, she gave me the money anyway in exchange for some scrap-metal jewelry. So here it is.

She's into non-matching earrings. The ones with red ends are made of bits of a couple of Bic lighters, the circuit board ones are from an old busted Cobra CB radio, and the rest are bits of clutch disks from the exploded center limited-slip differential of an old Jeep NP229 transfer case I've held onto (after replacing the unit and wrecking the Jeep a decade ago) just in case I ever needed its guts for an artsy purpose.

It doesn't show in the photo, but the necklace, whale-shaped pendant, and the lorica segmentata-style earrings, I heated up with a mini butane torch so they have a subtle touch of the blue/gold discoloration you see on overheated steel (you've probably seen it on motorcycle exhaust pipes).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SpartanIV posted:

drat, I can't even tell it was damaged. Hopefully it holds up to heat well.

Ditto. looks good, hopefully the paint fumes doin't poison your food. Hopefully you're gonna do a dry run or two before actually using it. I would've used engine paint and made it Hemi orange, but to each his own I guess, if you want to keep it looking stock that's cool too.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 15, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FogHelmut posted:

So I have this small laundry room that's only about 60" ish wide. We had this big washer and dryer side by side, taking up all the space

Not to disparage the cool thing you did to give yourself more space, but there's a reason the space is that size.

Edit: the one time I could've got away with going full rear end in a top hat, and I didn't.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 28, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FogHelmut posted:

I'm not selling, I don't care if anyone wants side by side washer and dryer.

Well, bless your heart.

You complained about the size of the space, I pointed out why it is that size, and you replied. And so I went nuclear-option, though it may not translate well.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Building a lil' boat for my knockoff GoPro, for looking at the fishies in local lakes/towing behind my kayak.

A bit of pool noodle on the outside arms and a 1/4"-20 bolt through the endcap on the middle tee will serve for surface video, and flip it over and attach a pipe of arbitrary length with ballast to suit (hence the noodle for extra buoyancy) for underwater filming.

Scope creep has already set in. I've been considering, ever since I decided on the design, taking apart one of lil' nephew's R/C cars (he has like four of these, due to his various aunts and uncles/grandparents/cousins-once-removed not coordinating on Christmas presents) and using the motor and steering servo to run a propeller and rudder, respectively. Mount all the electronics topside in a splashproof box, belt-drive the prop, twist the center tee to switch views (the store I went to didn't have any cross connectors in 3/4", but if I find one I can pop it in, nothing's glued, and I have plenty of stubs to use to put a cap on the unused side from trimming the bits to size), Bob's your uncle.

Or at least mount a little sail on it (it will, of course, always be tethered, even if I do motorize it.)

Edit: and with the leftovers from the project/random bits my father has from when he was an HVAC tech, and a random scrap of plastic sheet I have laying around, I can build one of these, too!

Edit again: Electronics donor obtained! It steers with differential throttle, not ideal, but I can probably make it work, might need to make the wide sides the front and back for the extra torque to steer it, but eh. I'm $10 of PVC and owing a small child a favor into this project, if it doesn't work out, it was worth a try, and I still have the backup option of a sail.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 11, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, I considered/am still considering an RC toy boat fot it, but have yet to find a suitable/cheap cadidate.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Remote control speedboat GoPro sounds awesome but probably more expensive.

Upon rereading this when catching up with the replies, I think I need this. Keep the PVC raft for towing behind the manned boat, R/C speedboat for sending it out while I stand on shore.

Surely there's a better/cheaper one on Amazon. Are all of them differential throttle, or are there any with a rudder? I think I'd prefer a rudder.

Either way, that's better than the cheapass R/C car I was planning on using to motorize the raft, that has you do the two throttles by hand instead of a steering circuit, and no trim to make up for one motor not going quite as fast as the other.

Comedy option: There's an R/C parts store in town, what would it take to make this LEGO boat derivable?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
v1.0, with pool noodle pontoons and arbitrarily long (i.e., what I found laying around my parents' shed) pipe as an up/downtube. It's not stable enough to stay upright camera-up in any but the lightest waves in this configuration, but I can extend the spreaders or hang ballast on a string below it as needed to adjust the center of gravity. Solid as a rock (it'll ride the waves, but no turn over) with the cap right up against the tee. If I find a four-way connetor, I can add arbitrary length of pipe full of lead shot going down off the center for surface operation, they just didn't have any + connectors at the local indie store I went to.

Jestery posted:

The PVC pipe is going to be way easier to work and durable imho
Yeah, I bought some specifically for the project, but my father is a retired HVAC tech, he's got a lot of it laying around. I can rapid-prototype just by digging around in his former work van (he used it for the condenser drainpipes) for five minutes. 3D printing? Pfft. :smug:

For the self-propelled rig, I'm going to look into RCifying that LEGO boat, just for the aesthetics of being able to rebuild the topsides on a whim. But this looks to be a good tow-behind/gaff tape a rudimentary sail to it and let it go off on its own option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a cheap GoPro knockoff. I also have a lot of lakes within a half-hour drive from home. Underwater video is cool.

So I made a thing:

It floats with the buoyancy chamber (a 2L soda bottle that hasn't grown up yet) just breaking the surface, but I can vary the amount of water inside said tube to ballast it. The dive planes are adjustable with wingnuts, so I can make it go down or up as I reel it in (I plan to use a sawed-off fishing rod and an old Daiwa casting reel with 30-pound-test line to launch/recover it). Pulling it through the bathtub, it seems to work as it should (i.e. with the planes in the setting shown, it scrapes the bottom before I run out of bathtub length). Attachment rings on both ends so I can tow it either way, and rather a lot of safety cable tied into the door of the camera in case the whole thing falls apart.

Edit: the cutout on the side fins at the front is because the camera has a very wide-angle lens, it's cut so the fins don't block the view if it's tilted back to point straight down.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 30, 2019