Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
I made a new wall on my mothers beach. I had the help of my girlfriend and her father. Unfortunately I only have before and after pictures, but none in progress. There are numerous plans to improve/expand on the wall, which I will go into more. The wall was actually done last summer/fall, I'm just now finding this thread.

The old wall was constructed of one very large beam sitting on rocks, and a makeshift beam made out of two pieces of wood. I don't know/remember the dimensions of each.. but you can see them in the pictures. It has been in place for 20+ years, but age was starting to take its toll as the ground under the beam started to erode. The major floods of last May are what finally killed it.

Here's what it looked like prior to the rebuild

View from the top..

We dug the sand out behind the large beam ( The beam with the wet footprint was light enough to just pick up and move), rolled it down the beach a few feet (To act as wave barriers in case one of the guys with a boat that's much to large for the lake came out while we were working) My brother used a chainsaw (and ruined a chain in the process) to cut up the beam to smaller more manageable sizes. The new wall was put in two feet farther back against the water line, to give us more of a beach. We also put in a small campfire pit. The wall ended up being 30 feet.

Where the green chairs are used to be brush, which we cut to be able to push back the seating area. I plan on building one sided picnic tables so you can sit and still see the lake.

Where the wall ends (where the sailboat is) there is another 20~feet of natural wall. This fall we plan on digging that out and adding the same stone somewhat close to the property line, and adding capstones to the first section.

The fire pit

View from the general area the tables/chairs I'm making are going to be

The total cost of everything above came to about $550
$500 of it alone was the stone, the rest was beer and a few shovels, and a masonry wedge.

This fall the lake is being drained so the dam can be rebuilt. We will be adding more beach sand and getting rid of the leaves/crud in the water you can see in the last pictures. We also plan on digging up the one large rock in front of the wall. All the major work of this section is done, so during this summer we can just do the smaller details and enjoy it. An idea for next year is to clear out the other side of the beach which I have no pictures of, add a lower wall ( 2-3 stone high) and make supports for a hammock. You can see down to the end of the lake from that spot, unlike from behind the fire pit. I'll have way more pictures of work while we do it next time around, and I'll keep this thread updated with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU