Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

Like this?

My friend's mom was looking at buying one of those, specifically a solar powered one that would fit in your window if you cracked it a bit.

I suggested she just crack her windows an inch and call it a day, convection will take care of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

crabrock posted:

I made a tiger for my sister's rapidly approaching baby. I just kind of went for it, didn't measure anything or use a pattern, so there are some rough spots, but it gives it a unique feel.

Never made a stuffed animal before, but it was a fun experience. I also earned a shitload of brownie points by making my girlfriend a little version with some of the leftover material.

Holy.... my buddy just announced he and his wife were having a baby... mind if I steal your brilliant idea?

edit: how tall is hobbess from head to bottom of torso? about 18-24" ?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is the last section poured concrete and that's why you didn't tear out the last 6 feet leading up to the door?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

After seeing two build threads, I decided "gently caress it! I'm building a guitar!"
The neck is being made of black walnut (Don't breathe that dust!) with most likely a rosewood fretboard. I'm thinking maple for the body, but might want to have something a little dense. I want this guitar to be able to growl, and from my understanding, more dense woods bring out the low end. Wood recommendations for the body are welcome!

Right now I've only got a template and the neck glued. The hardest part is trying to decide what electronics are going in there. Pickup choices galore! (The fact that I have humbuckers drawn in there doesn't mean that's set in stone, but I am leaning towards them)

In the drawing phase

Here's the template (Actually a body template and neck template duct taped together)

That's awesome! I'm about halfway through my pinecaster build myself. That looks awesome and I applaud your design abilities. One reccomendation on the neck placement:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Decided to build a dog bed out of particle board for our poor, unspoiled, mutt.

I have to admit, particle board is easy to work with - lightweight, regular size, cuts easy, holds a fastener well enough if you won't be stressing it and dirt cheap; perfect for these type projects.

Did you go with particle board over cabinet grade plywood due to weight?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

About where I'm at now. (taken before inlays)

I think I'm going to reshape the body near the control cover to follow the plate better. It may not look the greatest, but I'm real proud of myself :unsmith:

That looks loving awesome! What color is the body going to be, or are you going with some sort of natural finish that shows off the grain? If you're going with a solid color, maybe you could add an accent color/stripe at the bottom rather than recutting the body? Like, a blue body with a sky blue accent stripe along the bottom, with a white paisley. If not that, then maybe consider adjusting the location and/or shape of the paisley control cover slightly? A burst finish would solve the problem itself. That's a really cool shape guitar you penned, well balanced but unique, and I'd hate to see it change this late in the build.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Electric Pocket Rocket.

Out of Popsicle sticks.

FireStorm has the right idea. Glue together the frame in popsicle sticks (6 thick? maybe 12 thick for the rear trailing arm), then wet the finished frame in epoxy, wrap it in carbon fiber tape, then wet the fiber. Carbon fiber is expensive, but for a project like that you'd only need 1-2 yards of the stuff.

Look at what people are doing with lost foam carbon fiber methods and recumbent bikes; a wood cored frame wrapped in CF is going to be similar in strength. While 10' of 3" CF tape is $60, 30' of 3" fiberglass tape is only $10....

http://malricsworld.blogspot.com/2008/12/29-december-2008-friend-of-mine-gilles.html

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 18, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed, that came out really well

Glad you didn't change the outline of the guitar

Why didn't you go with a push-pull pot for the "eye" of the paisley?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

coltron4040 posted:

I decided to make a desk/drafting table the other day. I ended up using scraps from past jobs and just put it together without a tape measure or any plans to speak of.

The top is a solid oak door, and the legs are leftovers from a banister. The rails are some maple I had lying around and a piece of finished baseboard that we had left over as scrap.
I used 2 stainless steel cabinet handles for my pencil holders.
Now all I need to do now is find a drafting base for one of my many Eames Shell Chairs I have lying around.
http://justinmodern.blogspot.com/2010/09/charles-eames-drafting-stool-herman.html

I like your caster fix for your yellow chair - I've never seen it done with a tennis ball before. Is that to fix a broken caster, or simply to make it slide on the carpet easier?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

old Mac SE

It's now running Ubuntu on an Atom board and has a touchscreen and an internal barcode scanner, just because. Nenenenenenenene...

(I have way more pictures and this probably does deserve its own thread, but I'm lazy.)

Links to atom board + lcd panel? I have about six of these in storage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ant mouth posted:

If you have any questions or ideas as to ways to go faster or handling, shoot em my way!

My dad built recumbent bikes via trial and error similar to how you guys are building gravity bikes. Some student used one of his bike designs to test his rotational stability software (or something equally fancy-sounding). The bike had two stability peaks, the first around 32mph that looked like a standard deviation curve, and then a second peak at 62mph (it was a short wheelbase bike, something like 36" from hub to hub on 20" wheels). I'm not sure if this was an error in his software or if this is common, but I'd be curious what your average speeds were and see if you couldn't tailor the bike for better stability in your ideal speed range.

Also is there any correlation between gravity bikes and soap box derby cars? There's a rebel league of gravity cars out in SF from what I've heard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I honestly have no idea what criteria they used. I think the student was just sharing the results with my dad. That data (and the equations used) are locked away on a decade old hard drive in a garage somewhere, and I was 16 at the time when he told me about it. If I had to guess, they were based on wheelbase length, center of gravity, gross weight and wheel diameter... but you probably already knew that :downs:

Have you done any tests in the Cascades? I grew up near Tacoma and my dad would spend hours pouring over contour maps (this was in the early 90's, before things like google maps existed) trying to find the longest, steepest continuous downhill highway stretches in the state. I remember a couple of 6-14 mile 4-6% grade roads where we'd hit 47mph (speedo verified) on 10 speeds road bikes.

From what I've briefly read, it sounds like Maryhill Loops Rd is quite a bit safer than the damp state highways we were riding on, particularly at the speeds you're hitting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ant mouth posted:

bombing Mt. Hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DdSdi2LOs

Can you tell me any more about those guys on the longboards? (5:30 mark) Asphalt is pretty brutal on a skateboard, if I recall my childhood correctly. I'm curious what modifications/wheels they are using for this run.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turtles/Tortises rarely cross roads unless they smell a mate over there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ant mouth posted:

Getting our average speed is tough. As for instrumentation we've currently gone through a few speedometers due to crashing and haven't bought a new one. It is also difficult because it depends on the course were running. The higher the grade and fewer turns means we can hit speeds of 90+. Courses like Maryhill with 17 banked turns we're probably between 35-60 mph. I would love to know what variables your father modified based on the input he got.

We actually build both. We're fortunate to live in Portland, OR where we have zoobomb ( https://www.zoobomb.net ) and the portland adult soapbox derby ( https://www.soapboxracer.com ). The picture of the three-wheeled downhill thingy is our soapbox car. We're entered in the event again this year and will be modifying it heavily. We'll definitely document that process as well.

Ok, well I finally ran across the physics calcs some student did on the max stability of the bike based on rake of fork, center of gravity etc. They don't make much sense to me, but maybe they can help you.

http://nearlydeaf.com/files/bikestability/Rocket_Hedstrom.htm

http://nearlydeaf.com/files/bikestability/SWB_Hedstrom_noforkoffset.htm

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

Use a transformer to get it down to a lower AC voltage, and then rectify it to about 9V DV and use a linear regulator to provide 5 regulated volts of DC. It's really easy. You've already done the part that is a pain in the rear end.

Since the generator is already DC, wouldn't it be easier to just use a 12v DC car charger? Rectifiers tend to be hot and heavy IIRC. (and not in a good way)

If you had disc brakes on your bike with an even drill hole pattern, you might be able to mount some sort of crude gearing system to it to drive the generator, rather than putting what looks like a big friction brake on the tire.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blistex posted:

Wanted my Kindle to feel more like a real book.

There is a section notched out so I can turn pages while it is in there. Turning on and off requires removing the unit from the book.

Did you use a router for this, or what?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need some help.

My landlord's daughter is getting to the age where she's aware of alcohol. My landlord also seems to really like me (or, I am a convenient way to offload all his old furniture). Anyways, he showed up at my door the other day with a fancy art deco/70s style liquor cabinet.

The problem is that being older, this has an actual wood veneer, but it's started to chip off on the edge there. I can't even think of where I would buy wood veneer, or how to repair these chips. Any ideas?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are the spokes fixed length, or are you able to correct the off center axle somewhat by adjusting the tension?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was going to say; a 2 ton jack is less than $15 and probably the cheapest part of a cider press.

Although if you're making hard apple cider, then by all means do the gravity press, what you're describing is effectively how to make white wine; the yeasts on the skin of the apples will convert your juice in to a tasty treat without any additional help from you.

Do we have an active home-brewing thread here?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pardalis posted:

The plants are different species of Tillandsia which are air plants.

Your air plants look a lot better than ours. Depending on where you go in Texas, the trees can be covered in them, but they look like this most of the time. Nobody believes me when I tell them they are plants and not moss.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rule .303 posted:

oh, and this is important. DON'T ADD WATER TO LYE, YOU WILL SPATTER LYE ON YOURSELF AND IT WILL HURT LIKE A BASTARD

Sun Dog posted:

Does it react violently, like sodium and water, or do you mean like just normal splashing?

Now, I've never made soap, and I've never had a chemical burn, but I think it would feel something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3m8wRVXWg

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

Upgraded my balcony a bit.

How does cleaning work? Do you vacuum it?

Nebula posted:

They install these on an episode of Ask This Old House(from 2:20 onwards). Seems like a pretty nice system.

At the end there they show 1x2 panels and also stone panels. It would be interesting to order a stack of the plastic undercarriage and epoxy your own locally sourced floor surface to them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was thinking about spilling a soda/beer/egg salad and the resulting fruit flies, etc. I think it's a great solution, especially in your situation, but cleaning seems like it'll be a chore to clean. Are those tiles dishwasher safe? ;)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you thinking of doing it grandfather clock-style? I don't think you could get more than five minutes of power out of it, unless you used some custom tempered steel gearing and upped the weight by about 200 lbs. You might be able to modify a grandfather clock to get 20 seconds of light out of it. Grandfather clocks generally have two 20lb weights in them.

edit: if you know the weight and distance, you should be able to figure out the theoretical maximum amount of power you could derive from the system. For example a 200lb (90kg) weight falling 5 ft (1.5m) should yield about 4.5w continuous (for 5 minutes in a perfect system), or ~22w of power total. I think. It's been over a decade since I took physics so I might be off by a factor of 10. A really powerful handheld LED flashlight from walmart pulls about 2w I think.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 13, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was the hull of a concrete sailboat floating in the harbor by my house for about 10 years, it's pretty sturdy stuff. If you run in to a rock, just sail it up on a tidal flat, lay it over and spackle some concrete + iron mesh over the crack, paint it, and keep on going. It's not as durable as an all-steel hull if you get washed up on the rocks during a storm, but more than a few concrete boats have circumnavigated.

There's a 420 ft concrete boat that's been turned in to a sort of park in Galveston Bay (near Houston), it's been there since 1922. Her sister ships got towed up near Alaska where they're still floating (Barely) and have been tied up for use as a breakwater for a logging port. Some sort of WWI "conserve steel for tanks and guns" spruce goose style experiment involving concrete.

http://www.crystalbeach.com/selma.htm

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 14, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are you using for frets? Looks like some kind of copper nail?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nubile Hillock posted:

Been working on a bamboo bike, just got the last bits of the frame epoxied.

and my super high-tech alignment jig

I demand a full writeup, along with what adhesive(s) you're using, and what web research resources you used. It sort of looks like you're using clear, 5 minute epoxy. Most everyone else I've seen has been using gorilla glue for their initial stick job (fills the gaps). I'm curious why you went with a different route?

Keep us posted! I've been looking at building one for a while now. What/who/where was your source of bamboo?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What size bamboo are you using? Looks like 3/4" on the back stays and 1 1/4" for the main triangle?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I picked up a parts bike for my bamboo bike earlier this week, then the day before I went to go harvest bamboo, it rained more than it had in the previous three months combined >:( Supposedly you need to wait at least a week (closer to a month) after the last rain to minimize the existing water content and chances it will split/crack when you cure it.

Those are great resources, especially the instructible of the asian guy who made the bamboo fixie. He has a link to a really smart, simple jig which can just be bolted together. In the comments of that, someone links to a serviceable version made from 2x4"s

From what I can tell, the two hardest parts are 1) getting that nice, smooth "calfree" style joint and 2) getting enough clearance for a 36x700c tire.

The calfree style joint just looks like they sanded down the hemp fiber composite smooth and then added an additional "clear coat"... As for the rear wheel clearance issue, that seems a little scary, unless you find some particularly curved bamboo specimens. What size wheel are you using and how are your clearances? Did you have any problems fitting the wheel/bamboo? It seems that you can get some extra clearance by canting your seat tube at a pretty drastic angle, but then you need an oversize hemp blob at the top to distribute the additional leverage that creates on the frame. Also I guess you can make the bottom bracket lower than the centerline of the wheel, but that might look a little wonky, plus you run in to pedal strike issues.

edit: this is the stuff calfree uses, supposedly: http://www.entropyresins.com/products/super-sap-clr

How many ounces of epoxy did you end up using for your bicycle project?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 17, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well by clearance, I mean the width of the tire, not the diameter. Looking at my bottom bracket, I'm not sure there's much room to widen the chainstays.... although I was thinking about 1"+ chainstays. The way my metal chainstays are setup, they are "crimped" where the wheel is to allow additional clearance close to the bottom bracket. We all know what happens when you "crimp" bamboo...

This is my donor bike, it's very similar to yours, a 27 1/4" bike: link

Nubile Hillock posted:

Yellow denotes areas I want to wrap with strips of fiberglass cloth (like wrapping your handelbars, but for structural integrity...)
Blue is where I want to put in a piece of blue foam

I'm hoping that if I fiberglass over the lashed hemp and further onto the frame the glass would better distribute the forces away from joints. It would add a bit of rigidity to the load-bearing parts as well, and maybe make up for some ugly joints that I'm less than happy with.

Any armchair physicists care to take this theory apart?

over on the bamboobike wordpress blog, he has some pictures of the brooklyn bamboo bike studio. After tacking the frame back together, they wrap the joints in blocks of pink foam (which, I think is the same as blue foam) and then file them down in to more pleasing shapes, then wrap that in hemp fiber + epoxy. Supposedly it's just as strong, and reduces the total amount of epoxy by 2/3rds or more since it's just a 2-3mm shell of fiber reinforced resin.. in theory that should more evenly distribute the stresses around the shell and away from the joint.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That bamboo bike is coming along great! I can't wait to see how your joints end up. Are you going to use hemp, CF or other?

Ropes - there's a huge grove of the stuff that acts as a privacy wall on the Katy Trail between the trail and the mansions on the other side of it just north of Blackburn St. I'm not a huge fan of harvesting things out of parks, but there's at least a quarter mile of bamboo 15-20 feet deep in all sizes, so a few poles won't go missing for a single project.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used to have to change the posters every week. Our frames did not have a diffuser behind them. You're fine.

Movie posters are printed on much thicker paper with high quality (thick) ink though, and that may cause some perceived diffusion effect. Consumer/promotional posters are typically made from thinner stock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nubile Hillock posted:

Got the last layer down! Cotton cloth + fiberglass resin. Unfortunately the temperature dropped this last week so it's going to take forever to cure.

One month later; what happened to this project? I just ordered my donor bike after three months of searching craigslist with little luck. I think their warehouse is in Houston so shortly after it arrives I'll be cutting her up :ese:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why did you get rid of the two stripper poles in your man cave? :confused:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would look at outrigger/ama designs, low weight low cost stone age design that prevents just about anything from rolling over in the ocean except for the very largest waves.

I think you will be disappointed by how much turbulence (camera shake) the tubes perpendicular to flow of water.

Cool design, excited to see how it works. I have a boat too and hadn't considered putting a go pro on a float behind.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jestery posted:

so far, so good on project wardrobe

Was just having a conversation yesterday about 3D printers and my friend asked "why did they never take off if they are so cheap?" and my response was "turns out people just don't have that much stuff they need to print out". Looks like I have been proven wrong. Given the thickness of the abs that should be plenty strong to start, if you're supporting the cross bar with post and lintel style construction then the top portion should be plenty strong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If starting with ~5 year old trees, which is normal, probably 4 years? If you actively prune branches, the plant will put all it's remaining energy into the remaining branches, this is a core principle of bonsai stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Overbuilt super sturdy shelves are always so satisfying to build

You might consider tossing in a single diagonal strut on one of the middle shelves, at the back. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon but if someone tries climbing on it etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

Finished the router extension wing for my table saw. Now just need to make a fence for it.

I presume that stop button is exactly at knee-height