Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threetee
Dec 22, 2004
Here are some pictures from my fireplace renovation. I laid slate tile over the ugly-rear end marble, and built a new surround and mantel from scratch.

Before:

I routed flutes and an inset in what will eventually become the front part of one of the pilasters:

Pilasters are up, and I'm experimenting with how to lay out the tile. The carpet is torn up because the hardwood floors were due to be laid as soon as the tile is done:

Crosspiece is installed, and I've started to lay the tile. Before laying tile, I used a power sander to rough up the marble to make sure the mortar would hold:

Tile is nearly done (you can see the last few custom-cut tiles hanging out ready to be installed). The thinset mortar didn't hold the tiles up well enough and they kept sliding down, so I had to cut some scrap MDF to the right length to prop them up until the mortar dried. You can also see the beginnings of the chair rail that I installed.

After finally adding the mantel shelf and lots of molding, grouting the tile and painting everything, here's how the project turned out:

Another angle. You can also see the sweet wood floor here, as well as the chair rail and wall frames I put up.

This project was just one of many that I've done in my new house. I'll try to upload some more pics of my other projects at some point.

Extra bonus pic: now that I'm done renovating most of the house (I'll try to upload some pics of my other projects to this thread at some point), I'm working on building some furniture. I designed this bookshelf model in Google Sketchup (the design matches my daughter's existing furniture). Here's a pic of the bookshelf model. I'm about 75% done with building the real deal.

threetee fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU