Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Another DIY speaker maker chiming in...

So far I have built 4, including a sub. The first two sound great but I wasn't too happy with the woodworking. I had never really worked with MDF before.

Then I built a sub:

Then I built the center channel speaker. This time the woodworking came out much better:

These were all slightly modified versions of the plans from this site:
http://www.rjbaudio.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
I thought I'd share an LED light painting project I've been working on :science:

I got the idea from the LightScythe, but my hardware is pretty different than his.

Parts list!

Basically the microSD card stores the bitmaps which are read by the Arduino. The bitmaps are then written to the LCD and to the LED strip line by line at a fixed rate. It takes about 10 seconds to write the image to the LED strip, depending on how wide the picture is. I then walk along while taking a long exposure picture to get the whole image. I saw someone post something similar a few pages back, and it's the same persistence of vision concept.

Pictures! :woop:

Full album here

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

pbpancho posted:

That was me with the similar idea. Any chance you can post the schematics and code? That looks like a more elegant setup than what I was rolling with, and now that I'm moved and settled in, I can tinker with it again!

I didn't forget! I finally got around to attempting a real write-up with a schematic so if you are interested it is Here

I used fritzing to make the schematic, but I couldn't figure out a good way to add custom components. I used to use multi-sim, and I remember that you could just add an IC, select how many pins you wanted, and then just go through and label each pin. I couldn't find a way to do this with fritzing :(

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

nonentity posted:

Welp, I have decided to use my arduiNIX for something other than a clock...

These are IN-19a, and IN-19b nixie tubes, with letters enough to spell my daughter's name.

Unfortunately, the Russians never made tubes with a capital N. So I went with the lowercase n cathode.

Video of the letters panning here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOznJk2rj4

Once I finalize the wiring, I'll make a neat case for it.

Woa, these are awesome! Are they really powered with 170V DC? They look like they would be fun to play around with, but how did you power them?

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

Sun Dog posted:

Could you tell me a little more about your main axle? My reverse trike land yacht uses bike wheels for the main wheels, but I built an unwieldy frame to mount each wheel. An axle would be so much nicer. How did you convert your wheel hubs?

How fast can you go? What is capsizing like?

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

thehoj posted:

Sweet mother of god, that's quite the rat's nest! Looks like a sweet amp!

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I made a headphone amp.

It's fun :3:

Care to share a schematic?

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
I made a nixie clock thingy

It's been done before, but I thought it would be fun to make one from scratch. It has an arduino pro for a brain.
Schematic/Code/Etc: http://scott-bot.com/nixie-bot/

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,

Guitarchitect posted:

Amazing! Dare I ask how much it cost, in the end? This would make an amazing clock... I've got a woodworking shop to make the base, it'd look pretty handsome in a walnut block I think!

It would look awesome with a walnut block!

Nixie tubes are getting expensive these days, about $9 each for the big ones. The PCB was the other big cost since that was $60. Total was maybe $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Wow, that puts my nixie clock to shame!

Can I ask how you did that gorgeous aluminum back-panel on the first clock?