Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

groucho
Jan 31, 2005

MaxIsBored posted:

Cool thread. I haven't done anything as of late, but a few years ago I modded a briefcase to fit my PC.

*edit* I eventually fastened the hard drive to the inside of the lid, and made a little vent for the power supply. It was getting mighty hot in there.
Don't have pics of that though.

i did that too! last semester i rebuilt my old gateway laptop into a louis vitton briefcase. i got hit by a car while riding my bike, flew over my bars, crushed my spleen, and my computer was in my messenger bag.the guts of the computer survived, but the casing was smashed.

dreg posted:

I started playing with molten metal, yay!

I made the original out of dollar-store playdough, then slathered Plaster of Paris over it, let it dry into a mold, cleaned out as much of the playdough as I could (the rest of which melts away nicely when the metal is aplied), and melted solder into the mold with a 100W soldering iron of death.

So far I've used both leaded and non-leaded solders, and even tried pewter, which melts near the upper limit of the iron, and thus syrupy and hard to keep liquid. Still, I like pewter, and it's cheap (dollar-store figurines and knick-knacks from thrift shops are common), so I may invest in a proper furnace for it.

i have been working with molten metal too! i signed up for a foundry class in the engineering dept at my school.

"couple of egg in a pan" made of copper

"bacon" made from aluminum

for my final project in the class i will be casting a "banana gun." its a banana where the skin is peeled back to expose a 44 revolver complete with trigger and trigger guard.

then, i will be hand painting the skin of the peel yellow and polishing the exposed gun pieces of metal. my hope is to produce a run of 100-200 of these, and to sell them at local Austin art galleries for like 10-30 dollars a piece. the funds will be used to pay for my dog's ridiculously expensive surgery. :(

anyway, my appointment to pour in the lab is tomorrow. so i hope everything goes to plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

groucho
Jan 31, 2005

Blooot posted:

Is this going to be full scale? You'd be better off making 10-20 of them and selling them for $400 each, a more realistic price for what you've described. Don't undervalue your work if it is any good. If it sucks, be honest with yourself and keep it out of galleries until you are ready.

well i poured this morning. it looks okay for a novice. i will post some pics later when i have one painted.

about the low price. i have always been of the belief that art should be very cheap so that everyone can afford it. maximum exposure is my goal.

yes it is full scale, but 2-d with a single parting plane.

groucho
Jan 31, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

Post pictures, for 10-30$ I'd consider buying one (plus I like banana guns)

this last one has alot of flash because the mold started to fail.

i think that they will clean up pretty well.

i poured aluminum, gray iron, and bronze

groucho
Jan 31, 2005
i got one half way polished with my new dremel i got for Christmas

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.